Traveling with your Husky

Osinn11

Cj loves riding with us in the car! We take her everywhere we are allowed too!! I'm curious as to how everyone around here transports/travels with thier pups. (when not walking of course)

I may catch some heat for this but Cj just rides with us in the backseat!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may catch some heat for this but Cj just rides with us in the backseat!

What's wrong with that? As long as he's got a harness that is attached to something...

It really depends where we are going - if it's just the vet, grandparents etc. he's going to be in the backseat.

If we are going somewhere relatively far away (more than a half an hour drive we'll put the crate in the boot and he'll travel in his crate.

If we can't take the car (better said if nobody's willing to drive us around, I don't have a driving licence) and I'm feeling particularly lazy, we'll take the bus as well. He doesn't like it very much though, but at least he doesn't fuss too much when on it.

Never been on a train with him too much of a hassle as apparently if some of the passengers in the car says something, you have to go out in the corridor. And you have to have a muzzle regardless of the breed (technically you should on the bus too, but there are no ticket controllers on the bus, usually).

My two go in the boot (its a hatchback so i can see them) we dont have a guard as they both lay down nicely and generally go to sleep they love going in the car... skye likes to sit up and look out the back window at times to lol

My two go in the boot (its a hatchback so i can see them) we dont have a guard as they both lay down nicely and generally go to sleep they love going in the car... skye likes to sit up and look out the back window at times to lol

same here lol :)

Oops.. Sherlock just lays down in the back seat.. Though I do have a seatbelt harness for him - just haven't figured it out yet.

No way could we fit our crate in our car and him in it... so it's really the only opyion. He comes everywhere with me too though.. anywhere where he's allowed to.

My dogs are allowed to ride anyway they want in our vehicles. Alice and Buddha preferred to sit together in the back of the van and we kept the middle row of seats out just for them. When riding with just one of us, one of the dogs would always be sitting in the passenger seat, and the other hanging in the middle standing or laying down. Both of my huskies make the attempt to sit on my lap as I am driving. However, Grace has turned out to want to sit on my lap in the passenger side while my hubby drives, she is relentless about it, while betty hangs out moving around in the back from window to window and sometimes throws up if we are driving winding roads:)

MY Alice and Buddha went everywhere with us, Alice went into banks with me and ran most errands with me, and waited patiently in the drivers seat for me to return. My dogs travel like people:) I tried the seat belt thing once with Alice and she wiggled and screamed the whole time, so we only lasted a few miles till I pulled over and un-hooked her.

:mouthshut:sorry I'll shut it now! LOL

My dogs are allowed to ride anyway they want in our vehicles. Alice and Buddha preferred to sit together in the back of the van and we kept the middle row of seats out just for them. When riding with just one of us, one of the dogs would always be sitting in the passenger seat, and the other hanging in the middle standing or laying down. Both of my huskies make the attempt to sit on my lap as I am driving. However, Grace has turned out to want to sit on my lap in the passenger side while my hubby drives, she is relentless about it, while betty hangs out moving around in the back from window to window and sometimes throws up if we are driving winding roads:)

MY Alice and Buddha went everywhere with us, Alice went into banks with me and ran most errands with me, and waited patiently in the drivers seat for me to return. My dogs travel like people:) I tried the seat belt thing once with Alice and she wiggled and screamed the whole time, so we only lasted a few miles till I pulled over and un-hooked her.

:mouthshut:sorry I'll shut it now! LOL

Ha ha ha Thanks Kara....music to my ears! (I'm not the only one) :D Cj is perfectly fine in the backseat and has never tried to come up front! She usaully lays down If were in one of the coupes. If were in my Bronco she loves sitting tall and looking out the backseat windows!

Ours travel in the boot. It's a crv so has plenty of space. Togo likes to see where we're going and Loki likes seeing where we've just passed when hes not flat out. The girls can only just peer out cos of the window height

Ha the boot...I love it! :)

Learned something new. I didn't know there was a such thing as a seatbelt clip. I'll have to look into that.

It's a good tool last time I took skyla out without it she climbed into the passenger seat with her big butt in the way ov the gear stick had 2 cruise out ov gear whilst tryin to shove her out the way , not the safest way to drive lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I recently bought a 4WD so the dogs have more room. They now almost always travel in the boot in a crate :) If I can't fit the crate in they are still secure. I recently moved interstate for work and did a 12hr car ride with my two and they were perfect, comfortable and safe in the back which was great.

257806_10150999197368244_542625257_o-1.jpg

It's a good tool last time I took skyla out without it she climbed into the passenger seat with her big butt in the way ov the gear stick had 2 cruise out ov gear whilst tryin to shove her out the way , not the safest way to drive lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I can totally picture that....and I don't think I want to try letting the dog drive! :D

I recently bought a 4WD so the dogs have more room. They now almost always travel in the boot in a crate :) If I can't fit the crate in they are still secure. I recently moved interstate for work and did a 12hr car ride with my two and they were perfect, comfortable and safe in the back which was great.

257806_10150999197368244_542625257_o-1.jpg

Might have to try that....plenty of space in the cargo area of the bronco.

I used to have a Nissan Versa hatchback...it was too small. I got a larger vehicle to have more room for 3 dogs. I sure am glad I'm amongst other Husky owners. I mean, who else would think it's normal to get another vehicle just to make it more comfortable for your dogs?:shrug:

Here's my setup when we travel.

post-2982-13586068172535_thumb.jpg

post-2982-13586068164514_thumb.jpg

I should get one for Jelly x_o.

She likes to get into the front and her butt / legs push my gear into neutral or turn the car seat heaters on... Then she licks the gps and the windows and they get all dirty and I can't see where I'm going D: .

Marius just chills in the back seat, hes got a back seat cover that covers the back and goes up and around the headrests of the front seat so hes not going anywhere. Ive been thinking about getting the harness but he barely goes in any cars:p I don't drive so its only when he needs to go somewhere

This is how Bowe rolls, in my Audi Estate...

IMAG0174.jpg

Cool as a Cucumber! :P ...she loves been in the car & looking out the windows, and with my Audi being an Avant, there is loads of room for her, even when she grows up to full size, so cushty! :)