Traveling with your Husky

Osinn11

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I crate when we travel. After our friend was involved in a really bad accident, severely injuring her and the show dogs she was traveling with. It was said that if her dogs hadn't been crated they would have been killed. One of which was our girl's sire 'Tiko' who has had to take the last 5 years off from showing due to his injuries. Since then I don't let my dogs ride out of their crates, they mean too much to me to lose them to something like that....people don't let their children ride unrestrained, why let your dogs?

Personally I crate when we travel. After our friend was involved in a really bad accident, severely injuring her and the show dogs she was traveling with. It was said that if her dogs hadn't been crated they would have been killed. One of which was our girl's sire 'Tiko' who has had to take the last 5 years off from showing due to his injuries. Since then I don't let my dogs ride out of their crates, they mean too much to me to lose them to something like that....people don't let their children ride unrestrained, why let your dogs?

Fair point. However, I've known of dogs 'get free' from wrecks/crashes, and get help, and it was only the other day there was an article in the paper about a lady who had 'parked' on a hill near a river, she got out the car to walk to dogs and hadn't put the handbrake on properly, the car rolled into the river (with both dogs still inside) and began sinking, the dogs (I think border collies) saved themselves by getting out of an open window, due to not being crated/trapped. There's Pro's & Con's to both...I understand where your coming from though, but its not as irresponsible as it looks/seems, and its probably more down to the type of accident/crash that you have to wether it helps or actually makes things worse. Just my 2cents....

Typical man, lol - I could tell by the interior, haha!...used to have 1, there good cars, especially the dirty diesels! :P

I would agree with that except im not a man lol!! It is however my bf's car and yes it is also a Diesel! I drive a Honda CRX Del sol turbo which is not suitable to transport huskies lol I am however insured on the golf also!

I would agree with that except im not a man lol!! It is however my bf's car and yes it is also a Diesel! I drive a Honda CRX Del sol turbo which is not suitable to transport huskies lol I am however insured on the golf also!

Aw cool! ;) lol, bet thats fair quick then!...honda v-tech engine with a turbo = fast!?

Ours wear their harnesses with leashes which are clipped to a hook in the back of the SUV. We also got a larger vehicle for travelling with them. Recently got a gate for between the front and back, but Jack can just take it down with one swat of his front leg! They can just barely get to the front seat when hooked. Crazy panting and talking for about the first 20 minutes and then they settle down and sleep mostly. We drove to Iowa with the boys last year and they were angels...we'll see how it is this year with Jessy!

Fair point. However, I've known of dogs 'get free' from wrecks/crashes, and get help,.

A Siberian is more likely to 'get free' and never be seen again than to act like the classic 'Lassie' aiming to save Timmy from the well. Another risk I'm not willing to take. Another thing to consider is if your loose dog doesn't free themselves from the wreck but rather stay to protect their owner they pose a great threat to emergency workers and can prolong you receiving treatment/transport. Also, in a wreck your loose dog becomes a projectile within the vehicle being killed or severely injuring or even killing other occupants of the vehicle.

My two go in the boot (its a hatchback so i can see them) we dont have a guard as they both lay down nicely and generally go to sleep they love going in the car... skye likes to sit up and look out the back window at times to lol

This is exactly what we do, except after two hours Fin throws up.

We've learn to take this into account when driving now :)

• 5 months later...

Another question about traveling. Say I'm going to travel by aircraft to somewhere like the UK and I want to bring my Huskies, Do they have to go through a quarintine? This subject came up to day at work after talking about the Westminster Dog Show. 

Currently we just chuck them in the back seat and I sit in the back holding the lead so they dont leap everywhere. If we're taking more than one dog (only ever happens when we go to rallies) we put the back seats down and turn the car into a van lol

But I do have a bergan car harness on the way to me :D for those solo dog trips. It's the only crash tested to human standards harness in the UK. The main reason I decided to get a harness (and the reason I got this one) is because soon we will have a car seat in the car aswell so I need the dog safely restrained!

I'll be traveling to Vermont this summer, 21 hours one way. I've been battling whether I want to take Ryn, not because she doesn't travel well, but because of the many horror stories I've heard about accidents and the dogs being killed or ejected and lost. She does have a pet restraint for the back seat, but really doesn't like it. I won't travel that far with her without her being in it.

She does go with me most everywhere I go and loves to ride in the front seat, sitting up and taking everything in. On longer rides, she prefers the back seat so she can lay down and relax.

I'll be watching how others travel with their huskies and taking pointers before I make any final decisions about taking her this summer. I've even considered flying with her, but there are many horror stories with that scenario as well. Perhaps for my own sanity, I should leave her at home with the hubby.....

Now that we have 6 it is a struggle to take them all out together in the car. If I had a dog guard I would struggle to get 2 in. As it is I can normally take 4. With the back seats folded it opens up enough space in the rear for the 4 dogs, in each corner there is loop which is part of the load fixing for the vehicle. I tie each dog to one of these and they are perfectly safe. Unfortunately, as I have six, I am going to have to buy a van and get it crated out. 

Gary.

both mine go in the boot.

they cuddle up and go sleep.

We drove to france two years ago 4 hours in the UK, half hour on tunnel, then 9 hours drive to our place.....i forgot they was in the car. wasnt till i stopped needing a pee that they reluctantly got up and out for their pee. (we travelled at night)