Difference in oppinion

Hyshqa

Hmm. My boss sat me down today to train me to complete the rehoming procedure with members of the public that come in. Was going fine until we came to the question on the form "Do you have a dog kennel?" or something like that. He basically explained that they would not rehome to anyone who either had an outside kennel, or a crate. Not even to someone who wanted the dog to sleep in a crate. Full stop, won't let them have a dog. I asked why, and said my two sleep in a crate and stay in there when they're alone and he said it's because when crated or kenneled they have "no standard of welfare what-so-ever" and it's just "so horrible for them and cruel to confine them". I was pretty angry at that point as he'd also made a comment about huskies as a breed being particularly worse off in a crate, though I can't remember exactly what he said (something about them getting too hot I think, I was seeing red a little but trying so hard not to look angry since he's my boss!) it just felt like a bit of a personal attack by being that specific. I asked him what he would suggest to someone who rehomed a dog from here who called for advice about their dog chewing up their home or something and he said he would suggest baby gates to block off parts of the house, and a dog flap into the garden. I didn't want to escalate anything into an argument, and with policies like that having been in place for years me making a scene about it wasn't going to change anything! But I really wanted to ask what he thought about the potential dog-theft risk that would have been inducing, or burglary risk if the dog was friendly with strangers (which most are - volunteers can walk them!). I just said we'd have to agree to disagree, but it's going to be tough if I get someone who comes to me who is a perfect home for a dog but wants to crate them as I'll have to turn them away despite absolutely 100% thinking they're doing the right thing, even better than what the rescue itself asks for :rules:

It was great to go through the procedure regardless though - as soon as me and my manager had finished going through the form he led me to the front office to interview a family who'd come in :S I fumbled through it but they were so lovely; it was an old couple and their grown up daughter. I explained that this was my first interview and they were sweet about it :P It ended up taking me aaaages to do everything, but they went away having reserved a dog! They'll be home checked tomorrow and pick up their new dog either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning! It was a dog from the section I've been working on this week too :D

Edited by Hy'Shqa

While I don't crate, I understand the need with some dogs / some people / some situations. If someone were tell me that they worked 12 hour shifts and the dog would be crated the entire time, I'd have problems with that. If someone were just getting a dog and wanted to use a crate for a few hours a day I don't see that as a disqualifying criteria. Better that the animal have a good home, even if he is crated during working hours, than to have no home at all.

And I'm sure you handled the situation much better than I would have! I'd have been pushing the limits there, probably to the point of not having a job!

While I don't crate, I understand the need with some dogs / some people / some situations. If someone were tell me that they worked 12 hour shifts and the dog would be crated the entire time, I'd have problems with that. If someone were just getting a dog and wanted to use a crate for a few hours a day I don't see that as a disqualifying criteria. Better that the animal have a good home, even if he is crated during working hours, than to have no home at all.

And I'm sure you handled the situation much better than I would have! I'd have been pushing the limits there, probably to the point of not having a job!

One of the other compulsory criteria for adoption is not leaving the dog alone for more than 4 hours a day, so they'd have that covered already - 12 hour shift, crate or no crate, is already a no-no :P

Once you've settled down a bit more I suspect you'll find a way to suss out the desirable new owners straight away and find a way around the crate issue.... Such as "so you say you intend to crate a new dog. Our policy prevents us from rehoming an animal under these circumstances. Are you SURE you intend to crate a dog? *hint hint*". it seems like such a petty thing to take a stand against, I'm sure there will be a way around it somehow.

Or don't ask in the first place? :redface1::P

I know rescues are supposed to think about the welfare of the dog but if I wanted to take on a rescue, I'd be turned down because:

1, I work full time

2, live in a flat

3, have no garden to speak of just a small yard at the front

Yet I have 3 healthy, loved & well exercised dogs I've had from puppies, that want for nothing. I also use a crate at night.

No way they'd let me have a rescue dog although I would give it more than a lot of lazy benefit/dole scroungers who sit at home all day, smoking fags, drinking & watching daytime tv waiting for their benefit to be paid. They'd get one because they're home all day :confused::@

No offence to anyone on benefits, we all know there are scroungers, doesn't mean everyone claiming benefits is one ;) (I was on the dole once for 6 months :()

Or don't ask in the first place? :redface1::P

I know rescues are supposed to think about the welfare of the dog but if I wanted to take on a rescue, I'd be turned down because:

1, I work full time

2, live in a flat

3, have no garden to speak of just a small yard at the front

Yet I have 3 healthy, loved & well exercised dogs I've had from puppies, that want for nothing. I also use a crate at night.

No way they'd let me have a rescue dog although I would give it more than a lot of lazy benefit/dole scroungers who sit at home all day, smoking fags, drinking & watching daytime tv waiting for their benefit to be paid. They'd get one because they're home all day :confused::@

No offence to anyone on benefits, we all know there are scroungers, doesn't mean everyone claiming benefits is one ;) (I was on the dole once for 6 months :()

I have to ask - I have to go through the form with the person, once that's done the manager has to be briefed on everything (so I'd have to say "They're not using a crate etc"). Plus the house gets a home check, and once the dog has been taken on they get 2 follow up visits so they'd see a crate or kennel there. I'd love to be able to rehome more dogs but not by putting my job at risk :( I'll see if I can come up with some innovative ways to advertise the rescue and the dogs there, that'll make up for it :)

I'd fail on so many things too; I crate, work too long, have poor quality and short fences in the back garden, have cats (which would restrict me a lot with the dogs I could take), small furries, have females (so the rescue would refuse me a female), and have an intact female I'm not willing to neuter (so they'd refuse me ANY dog point blank). But my dogs are both perfectly happy and content with their lives they don't want for anything.

I really hate rescues with such strict rules. It's just stupid. Here in FL where we get hit my hurricanes often **Isaac right now for instance!**, so rescues want to make sure you HAVE a crate! They want to make sure you can crate your dog in your car if you need to evacuate.

We were turned down by the RSPCA because:

a) Our only dog at the time (Molly) was 'complete' and the dog we were looking at was male but neutered. Molly was far too young to be spayed at that time

B) We have a cat ffs

We have since acquired 2 re-homes from families (one was through HO) with no problems regarding 'completeness' and no more problems with the cat and 3 dogs than there was with only one dog

Plus the house gets a home check' date=' and once the dog has been taken on they get 2 follow up visits so they'd see a crate or kennel there.[/quote']

Tell (off the record / when your manager is out of the way) the prospective new owners to hide the crate / kennel (bit harder with a kennel, obviously!) before the follow-up visits?

Tell (off the record / when your manager is out of the way) the prospective new owners to hide the crate / kennel (bit harder with a kennel' date=' obviously!) before the follow-up visits?[/quote']

Again doing that would still risk my job. If the managers were to find out I'd done that I'd be sacked straight away =/

Tell (off the record / when your manager is out of the way) the prospective new owners to hide the crate / kennel (bit harder with a kennel, obviously!) before the follow-up visits?

I agree. Would just add to go through the rest of the questionnaire first to make sure they're not giving you any bad vibes. If they do then you could use the crating issue to send them packing. If they're not then so long as they don't start crating until the adoptions been finalised, who would know what happens after that?! God, I'm being so sneaky tonight! Lol.

I agree. Would just add to go through the rest of the questionnaire first to make sure they're not giving you any bad vibes. If they do then you could use the crating issue to send them packing. If they're not then so long as they don't start crating until the adoptions been finalised, who would know what happens after that?! God, I'm being so sneaky tonight! Lol.

Actually, that is kinda what I meant

To be honest, I sort of see where they are coming from with the crating issue. I think that owners shouldn't necessarily start with the idea that they will crate their dog regardless of how it behaves, but I don't think that this is something bad if the dog is destructive. In fact, it would actually be for the benefit of the dog, as it couldn't get into dangerous stuff.

Also, suggesting the use of baby gates for a destructive dog seems somewhat naive... even if you block certain parts of the house, destructiveness can also mean chewing through walls, doors etc. As well as the garden flap, it is a security risk and also, a bored dog with free access to a garden would try to escape probably.

I can sort of understand why they don't want people to start with the idea that the dog has to be crated, but I think that sometimes crates are obviously necessary and as long as the dog is not stuck there for long periods of time, there's nothing wrong with them.

It just seem strange to rule out people that may be entirely suitable to adopt a dog because they plan on using a crate. Especially with so many dogs looking for homes!

My sister who has just lost her GS at 13 years old has been turned down by one of the dog fostering agency places near where she lives. The reason they gave her was that she is to old at a young 76. She also told them that her granddaughter who is 30 lives with her, but they wouldn't budge..........Ron