About to start leaving my husky outside during the day...

Tatipu

I don't know if I'm overreacting or what but I'm veryyy scared that Jelly will run away.

I start school Monday and at least for the first few weeks, to get used to my schedule, I'll probably be gone most of the day. Hence, I gotta leave Jelly outside since she has to pee anywhere from every 3-8 hours. I've read as well as heard and watched that huskies are awesome escape artists... Jelly has never escaped yet but I've always been nearby so she has no reason to. We do have a fence and at some places there are bricks along the lines from my old dog because he used to dig to get out. Tomorrow I plan on lining the rest of our yard with bricks but I'm still worried she'll find a way to escape. Is there a surefire way to ensure that she won't be able to leave? She's not really much of a digger except when there's a mud puddle -- then she'll dig and get herself dirty but other than that, she's never dug a hole.

T_T What to do? I'm too paranoid after all the stories I read and the videos I watched on YouTube.

And it's super humid here which makes it Very hot. How would I keep enough fresh water around for her to make sure she's hydrated enough? Should I leave her toys outside then?

Thanks guys TT__TT

Is it possible to get an enclosed dog run for her? (Including with a "roof" - chickenwire or something on the top so she can't jump).

That's about as surefire as you can get with a husky... other than that, don't leave any big items next to the fence (so she can't climb on them and jump)

I would leave her either a bucket full of water or get one of those doggy water fountains.

What is a dog run and about how much would it cost?

She broke her old cage so I'm about to spend another hundred to buy a better one so I don't really have a whole lot to help her atm.

thanks for the suggestions I'll look them up though (:

Edit:

Nvm I found out what it is. And it sounds like a good idea. Is it cheaper to make one or buy one? I see a decent one for 250 $ which I guess is decent compared to the others I see for $400+ x_o

Edited by Tatipu

Personally I would be too worried about leaving my dogs outside for a variety of reasons, is there someone you trust that could take her our for you halfway through the day especially if it is very hot and humid, she would probably be best indoors out of the heat.

If you don't have too many trees/poles in your backyard, you can get a tie out setup. (line + a thing that sticks in the ground.)

For us, because our neighbour's fences are sketchy and the yard is only 3/4 enclosed, we got a 30 ft tie out with the stake. This ensures Suka JUST can reach the fences (to pee on and stuff) but if he tries to dig out and/or jump over, he won't be able to.

We got the one made for 120 lbs dogs (thicker, stronger line and stake), because I know how much huskies can pull!

For prices, well, I guess it depends where you get it from. But we got ours from PetSmart for around $80? (line and stake included in one package) The line has to be replaced every 2 or 3 years, due to weathering (as I found out by experience!), but the line is only $30 by itself. (prices are all for a 30 ft line with a 120lbs rating)

I understand why you would be worried, even if she isnt much of a digger, if she became bored she might look to find a way out, one3 good idea would be to line your fences with chicken wire as she wouldnt be able to break the fences or dig out if it was buried enough, if this is not possible, try to gte someone to maybe go out to her or take her out for a whiloe during the time you are gone or even give her a lot of things to keep her occupied, if she likes peanut butter, you could put itin a kong and freeze it, this would keep her entertained for quite a while as well as giving her soemthing to do, you could also give her a lot of interactive toys or even bones that she could chew on or chewy toys/treats so she doesnt get bored. Try to take her for a good long walk before you leave so that she is tired and she will probably sleep for a good while whilst youi are gone. Good Luck ! x

Thanks for the responses guys (:

I'm kind of leaning towards a few options now ;; at least I narrowed it down a bit.

1. Leave her in the bathroom and leave pee pads in there. We also have someone who cooks for us who comes Monday/Wednesday and she leaves around 12 or 1 so maybe she can take Jelly out before she leaves or something and bring her back in. x_o

Or

2. Chicken wire the fence/buy a dog run/make my own dog run T_T

I'm leaning towards the first option since it's probably the best for her. At the moment because of my bad grades last semester, my dad doesn't like me being home early from school, hence I have to carpool with my brother ): . So once I figure out his schedule it should be fine.

My mom&dad will be home earlier than me on monday/wednesday anyways and tues/thurs I get home early (: Hopefully this works out x_o

Don't use chicken wire. Huskies have cut their pads on chicken wire trying to claw through it and cut their gums trying to pull on it. Good luck.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of leaving dogs out when you are not home. I would always prefer the keep the dog(s) inside, as not only the risk of them escaping is much smaller, but also they won't get stolen (and we all know how pretty huskies are, lots of people would feel tempted to steal them!).

I would however say that I think she would be happier to be in a doggy run than in a bathroom, but this will work until you sort everything out. Besides, how long are you gone anyway? She should be able to hold it for 8 hrs (it's a bit much, but doable). It's just that leaving pee pads there might possibly ruin any potty training you've done so far...

I built my own kennel runs with supplies from a fencing company far cheaper than the pre-fabed ones, just have to be sure you get the higher grade chain link fencing not the thin stuff (which most per-manufactured ones are made of). Welded wire fencing under the gravel floor to prevent dig-out and as a 'lid' for climb out precautions. I've been really lucky though that my dogs don't dig or climb so they stay in the fenced yard all day without issue. I have a large trough for water and working on building more shade areas. I was paranoid at first, but now it's a relief that they have a safe containment to play in while I'm away at work.

Aw thanks for the answers guys (: .

It's only going to be 2 weeks tops but today, we decided to test out the leave her outside theory and I took her out at 8 and left her there with a bucket of water and I come down at 11 and see that she's covered in mud and it's raining. I covered all the muddy areas with bricks but we decided to leave her inside, at least for now. Monday/Wednesday we have someone who comes and cooks for us and she leaves around 12 so she'd take Jelly out at 12 and then my brother and I would come home at maybe 5 or 6. Or my mom would be home anywhere from 12-6. So monday/wednesday is figured out. Tuesday/Thurs I found out I have school late and no person to cook so that's the problem...

And yeah... she knows pee pads are for peeing/pooping so every time we set them down she just goes right away... x_o...

[MENTION=322]Mazz[/MENTION]: Thank you for the note on chicken wire!

I believe I checked craigslist but I couldn't find any. Is there anything else you can search up for them besides "dog run?" I'll check again in a little bit.

[MENTION=6615]HuskyMom09[/MENTION]:

haha could you possibly list a few fencing companies for me? The only companies I know for building stuff is Lowes and Home Depot :x . I may try it out since you said they were far cheaper :P .

Again, thank you guys ! :D So much help +_+

Well week 1 has passed and Jelly stayed inside (:. Got my family to work their schedule around Jelly (: only problem is jelly got diarrhea again so I came home to a runny poo filled wall... Took about an hour to clean and get the smell off . Other than that, jelly doesn't have to go outside anymore wee!