Luka won't hardly eat :(

LittleLuka

Starting randomly Saturday, Luka won't really eat his food. I'd say he's cut his intake down by more than half of what he usually eats. You can leave the food out for hours and he's not interested. This is not like him AT ALL. Luka usually inhales his food! This morning i put him in his crate and he just laid down and put his head on his lambchop. Not like him either, he's usually a quite perky dog. I gave him a treat and when i left it was just sitting in his crate untouched. i'm starting to get worried.... any ideas before i haul him off to the vet?

BTW, he has been having regular bowel movements so no blockages obv.

You must have missed the session where we were told about Husky's that sometimes just decide to stop eating :) It seems common with the breed that from time too time they just go off their food. Give him 24 - 48 hours and he'll probably be back at it as normal.

If it helps your confidence level, by all means, take him to the vet - it's always good to have them checked when they aren't doing what we expect.

If he's generally in good health, I wouldn't worry too much unless it continues much past the 48 hour mark, then I'd definitely run him to the vet.

One line I've used in different variations is "No healthy Husky is going to starve to death setting next to a bowl of good dog food!"

Harley sometimes goes off his food but like previous messages give him 24 hrs unless you have vomit or loose bowls then get him checked best to be safe than sorry ;) Did find out what was with Harley going off his food puppy teeth falling out and his balls dropping lol vet said all normal for a pup that age .

Like Al said, it's normal for Huskies.......Both of mine are currently not eating every feeding....and they tend to skip meals on hot days.

They, unlike most breeds, will not over feed themselves.

As long as they still have their energy (ex. mine still get excited for walks and play time) and drinking water, I would not be concerned.

This happens to Cally too. Sometimes means that they are ready to switch to adult food as well, I asked my vet first though. Also, as everyone above suggested wait 24-48 hours and see if anything changes, if not then go to the vet! I personally don't mix food into the bowl, it makes them picky and think that they are always going to get something yummy if they don't eat :P Just my personal opinion though, lots of people do it :)

Well Luka recently finished losing all his puppy teeth, he now has all his adult teeth theyre just not all the way in.

As for adult food, i still think he's way too young, only being 5 1/2 months old. I've considered maybe changing his food, but would really like to avoid that considering we just bought a 60 dollar bag of his current food.

He seemed normal yesterday, but this morning is what threw me off. He is usually cuddly anyways in the morning but he never just goes and lays down in his crate like he did. and he ALWAYS eats his treats!

I don't know, i'm sure i worry too much but hes my baby. lol

I would still wait the 24 hours, maybe his tummy is just upset or something and it will hopefully pass! If you are really worried then take your boy to the vet :)

Cally switched to adult food at 6 months with the okay from the vet and she has done fine on it. I'm no expert at all and I know there is a lot of debate on the topic but here is a piece from Diane Morgans Huskies for Dummies; "In addition, research has found a link betweem hi[p dysplasia and the higher levels of calcium found in many puppy foods; so gradually switch your dog to adult food at around 6 months or so." I know some people never have their dogs on puppy food, or switch before a year and others wait longer. Just wanted to add that in, it's a personal decision!

I would still wait the 24 hours, maybe his tummy is just upset or something and it will hopefully pass! If you are really worried then take your boy to the vet :)

Cally switched to adult food at 6 months with the okay from the vet and she has done fine on it. I'm no expert at all and I know there is a lot of debate on the topic but here is a piece from Diane Morgans Huskies for Dummies; "In addition, research has found a link betweem hi[p dysplasia and the higher levels of calcium found in many puppy foods; so gradually switch your dog to adult food at around 6 months or so." I know some people never have their dogs on puppy food, or switch before a year and others wait longer. Just wanted to add that in, it's a personal decision!

well this has been going on since Saturday so it's been well over 24 hours.

We're going on 72 hours now. He seems happy though.

I originally thought you were supposed to switch them at 6 months but when i got Luka i was told otherwise. I will def ask my vet to make sure! thanks!

Had to go do a little looking ... since you had Luke in the pool yesterday, I had two considerations:

1) How does chlorine affect a HusKy, and the general response seems to be summed up in "Chlorine can wreak havoc on their skin and coat ...". I was wondering if the chlorine itself might have caused an upset tummy and probably not. That does lead to the next comment ...

2) Since you were running water into his pool, I assumed at first thought, that everything in the pool would be new and fresh. If you were just adding water to the pool then there might have been some bacteria in the existing water that could cause an upset tummy ( but then I'd expect loose stool, etc )

Whatever the case, I hope he gets back on his feed soon!!

edit: Just saw your note that this is going on 72 hours, I'd be thinking about a tip to the vet just to ease my mind. If he hasn't already, he should start eating shortly!

Had to go do a little looking ... since you had Luke in the pool yesterday, I had two considerations:

1) How does chlorine affect a HusKy, and the general response seems to be summed up in "Chlorine can wreak havoc on their skin and coat ...". I was wondering if the chlorine itself might have caused an upset tummy and probably not. That does lead to the next comment ...

2) Since you were running water into his pool, I assumed at first thought, that everything in the pool would be new and fresh. If you were just adding water to the pool then there might have been some bacteria in the existing water that could cause an upset tummy ( but then I'd expect loose stool, etc )

Whatever the case, I hope he gets back on his feed soon!!

edit: Just saw your note that this is going on 72 hours, I'd be thinking about a tip to the vet just to ease my mind. If he hasn't already, he should start eating shortly!

Well Luka already started picking at his food Saturday so that was before we even let him in the pool yesterday. And we always empty the pool and rinse it out each time. It's gross to leave water to sit in it and bake in the sun.

His stools are fine, he's been acting normal over the weekend, just picking at his food. Like i said i'm used to him inhaling it when i put it down not taking a couple of bites every now and then.

We did leave it out yesterday and he ate a about 1 1/2 cups yesterday but usually thats what he gets for 1 serving. I mean i can't tell if he's just not hungry or what?

Last night we were eating tacos and he sat beside me practically begging for some. (obv. i didn't give him any) so it doesnt seem that he is not hungry? i don't know. i guess i will see how he is tonight and if it continues take him to the vet tomorrow.

It is a worry when they appear to go off their food for no obvious reason, but that can be huskies for you - we've had Myshka for 6 1/2 yrs now & she still does it every now & again. We worried at first until this lot put my mind at rest & now I give her her food, if she refuses it, it gets left for 10 mins then removed & she gets nothing until the next meal & she always started eating albeit a few days later.

There is no reason on this earth why you shouldn't have Luka checked over though, it could be a number of random things like the weather, having an upset tum that doesn't alter the stools or just being a husky!! Good luck, I hope he starts to eat "normally" for you again soon, x

I agree with [MENTION=5536]Val[/MENTION](Zebedee) I didn't include that but after the last "picky" phase, Cally didn't eat her food for about 4 days (other dogs she would though) so we finally had to switch her over to Blue Buffalo. We started the down for 15 minutes, back up until next meal if they don't eat it. Even when she finishes what she eats, the bowl still goes up. We haven't yet had any problems, she eats it when it's down now or realizes none until next meal

hope luka pick's up soon,my lot sometimes go off there food for a day or two and it is worrying when you are not used to them doing that and if you are worried then take him for a check up to put your mind at rest,hope he is back to his gorgeous happy self soon :)

Kiana went off her food during her adult teeth growing time was highly irritating but my pocket book loved it LOL took a month for her to get back to her normal eating habits the little monkey. There's also something that Nature's Variety makes called Raw boost here: http://www.naturesvariety.com/products/treats/instinct/boost/powder I used it for a bit when Diesel was being a stubborn monkey and wouldn't eat any kibble hoping I'd feed him raw.