Smell problem

Arthur

Hi.

We hawe two dogs. She is 13 months now and all is ok but Hi(7.5 month now) stinks. The stinks is not very intensive but still perceptible.Is nothing about dirt or somethitg.It's hard to say what it smells hmmm but like for me is like rust;).

Any advice? Maybe it will disappear when you change the coat?

Kiska started getting a really 'doggy' smell a while back. After a walk a few weeks ago I bathed her because she'd rolled in fox poo with a dog shampoo from Animology called 'Fox Poo' ironically :P And afterwards sprayed her with a doggy spray from Animology called 'Stink Bomb' and since then her coat has been silky smooth and her doggy smell has gone away! I love it!

First thing that comes to mind is having his anal glands checked. These can make a dog smell quite badly, but you can have the vet check them and make sure they're not impacted and also empty them. Normally, you shouldn't have to do this as their anal glands are usually emptied when they have a bowel movement, but sometimes that doesn't happen, especially if the stools are softer. Sometimes the liquid can spread on the fur and hence the smell will stick with the dog.

Secondly, what food is he on? When we started feeding mine a fish-based food (Acana Pacifica) he suddenly started smelling... it was barely perceptible, but I could tell there was a difference. Might be worth trying a change of food too.

I would also suggest giving him a bath... who knows, maybe he rolled in something really nasty!

Presume you're talking about Lackie ( looking at the pitapata ) it's very unusual for a Husky to have much of any odor at all.

Can you determine where the smell is coming from? Mouth/Nose / Coat / gas? The fact that you say it smell like rust puts up a warning flag for me - blood typically smells like damp rust. I'd be thinking about taking him into the vet for an exam and possibly some blood work.

And I didn't even Google the combination, interesting to note that it might be related to anal glands - something else to put in my note file!

Edited by Al Jones

Thanks for response:).

We vent to vet today.His health is perfect.:yahoo:

Vet said sometimes young dogs have a strange smell coz they piss like the girl and the front paws are wet.(what's agree);)

In general, at the beginning suggested using spray for coat with ph balanced , vitamins, etc.

I hope that help:)

post-5983-13586069026884_thumb.jpg