Any tips to keep me awake??

Hyshqa

Since starting work and actually having to get up early and be active all day (GOD FORBID!) I've found I'm SO SO SO tired in the evenings come about 8pm. Even today on my day off after having a good nights sleep and not really doing much all day, I'm still shattered now. I wasn't like that before I started work and was sleeping lots/doing nothing so I know it's part of my pattern changing. I just don't know what to do to stop myself being so tired as I'm not convinced it's all down to the amount of sleep I'm getting (or not getting!) as I went to bed at about 10pm last week so I got almost 8 hours and was STILL tired that evening.

Sooo fitness freaks, help me out! Will I get less and less tired the more I do the job? I know I'm ridiculously unfit right now which won't be helping. Or are there any changes in diet I could make to help me out? My diet atm is terrible, I know. I'll eat cereal or crumpets/something buttered (or nothing) for breakfast, for lunch now I'm working I'll have crisps, some fruit and if I've had time to make it that morning I'll also have a sandwich. Dinner when I get home (though I usually find I'm not hungry, even if I've had no breakfast and only crisps/fruit for lunch and worked all day!) is whatever my parents have thrown together which can be anything...take away, shepherd's pie, ready meal, pasta, oven chips and some chicken based stuff. Generally processed stuff. What can I eat to keep me going until later? I don't generally feel tired at all until about 8pm when I suddenly crash - I'll get home from work at about 5/6pm and still feel raring to go, but 2 hours later I crash and want to go straight to bed! It's frustrating. I don't want to just keep going to bed earlier and earlier otherwise I'll find I'm not spending any time with the dogs what-so-ever - I'll get up, feed them and go to work. Get home from work, feed them, walk them, and go to bed :(

Hi!!

Porridge is good in the morning as it metabolises slowly. Eggs are also good. Try to have a bigger meal at lunch than your dinner. The more you eat towards the end of the day the more sluggish you will feel. Bananas are usually pretty good at keeping you going. 1 or 2 may keep the hunger at bay. Do you eat wholewheat carbs? Wholegrain pasta etc. White bread is SOOOO yummy, but sadly is the worst for you. (which is bad for me as I love it!)

A little jog after work might help to keep you awake. I find I just want to snooze after work but am really zingy after I've been to my zumba class and come home bouncy and want to do more !

Your body will get used to the routine of getting up at a certain time etc. It just takes some time ! Stay away from the energy drinks - they just bring you up, but also make you 'crash' quickly and back to feeling tired...

:)

Wish I could help, I have been working full time for most of the summer (except for my holiday) and I am absolutely shattered, all the time. I find it that when I get home, there's not much I can do but lie on the couch for a while. I've been trying to get to the gym, but I only do it on my days off as I am too tired all the time. Sometimes I can manage to go out (about once a week) but I am really exhausted the next day and if I have to work, I'll just do a terrible job.

Honestly, I am wondering how do people do it? It just feels like a full time job slowly takes over your whole life! And there's nothing you can do...

In a couple of months you'll get used to it, but the thought of going on like this for the rest of my life really kills me.

When the term starts again, I won't have to do it anymore, but it does terrify me that that's what's in for me after I finish my studies.

Not sure the diet thing will help a lot - after all, I have a relatively balanced diet, I don't eat any white bread at all, lots of veggies, some fruits, yoghurt, milk, eggs etc. but I am still tired all the time. But I agree with staying away from caffeine.

Hi!!

Porridge is good in the morning as it metabolises slowly. Eggs are also good. Try to have a bigger meal at lunch than your dinner. The more you eat towards the end of the day the more sluggish you will feel. Bananas are usually pretty good at keeping you going. 1 or 2 may keep the hunger at bay. Do you eat wholewheat carbs? Wholegrain pasta etc. White bread is SOOOO yummy, but sadly is the worst for you. (which is bad for me as I love it!)

A little jog after work might help to keep you awake. I find I just want to snooze after work but am really zingy after I've been to my zumba class and come home bouncy and want to do more !

Your body will get used to the routine of getting up at a certain time etc. It just takes some time ! Stay away from the energy drinks - they just bring you up, but also make you 'crash' quickly and back to feeling tired...

:)

Eugh, I wish I liked porridge :P But I don't think that would help anyway as it's not during the day I feel tired - I'm nice and awake in the morning (give me half an hour! :P) and throughout the day. By home time I'm feeling a little bit less awake but still fine - I'm happy to take the dogs out and stuff and I don't feel like I want to drop dead! :P But come 8pm once I've sat down and don't have anything left to do apart from watch tv and sit on my computer I just want to go to bed T_T I'd also be weary of eating too much at lunch; my job is very active - dog walking, running around all over the place, heavy lifting, lots of bending down to move/pick things up etc, I wouldn't want to be too full to do that. Funny you should mention bananas though - I actually have been eating them this past week as my fruit with my lunch, I love bananas :) I'll make sure to keep that up! Gotta say though, with regards to wholewheat carbs - the bread I won't budge on because brown bread it YUCKY, but I like wholewheat pasta, I think it tastes so much better, kind of nutty :)

Oh and I'm off the energy drinks ;) Red bull and the like is gross anyway, but I used to be hooked on coke/pepsi/etc - it was literally the ONLY thing I would drink for about 2+ years. I've quit now while I still have my teeth! :P

I found exercise was helpful, but it's finding the motivation to do it that is hard! I work full time and study for a Masters part time (almost done!) and I would be really happy to throw myself on the couch after work - some days I do - but others I go and do some exercise. It's helped me, but it has to be consistent. I find if I don't go to few sessions I start to feel really tired again. :coffee:

Honestly, I am wondering how do people do it? It just feels like a full time job slowly takes over your whole life! And there's nothing you can do...

In a couple of months you'll get used to it, but the thought of going on like this for the rest of my life really kills me.

This. Exactly this! I've been feeling like this the whole week! :P Full time jobs are tough, especially manual, active ones, and I've just gone from bumming around on the sofa for 2 months to suddenly working 40 draining hours a week! That's why I'm even more keen now than I was before to stick to working with animals like I've always wanted - I couldn't imagine having to work so long and so hard for something I didn't like. I'm determined to stick to jobs I WANT to get up for in the morning. If I don't want to get up for the job, I won't do it, it'll kill me!

I found exercise was helpful, but it's finding the motivation to do it that is hard! I work full time and study for a Masters part time (almost done!) and I would be really happy to throw myself on the couch after work - some days I do - but others I go and do some exercise. It's helped me, but it has to be consistent. I find if I don't go to few sessions I start to feel really tired again. :coffee:

After working a hard 8 hours, driving 2 hours and walking the dogs for over an hour....I think I'm doing enough exercise! Haha. I'll definitely look for something to do on my days off though.

Eugh, I wish I liked porridge :P But I don't think that would help anyway as it's not during the day I feel tired - I'm nice and awake in the morning (give me half an hour! :P) and throughout the day. By home time I'm feeling a little bit less awake but still fine - I'm happy to take the dogs out and stuff and I don't feel like I want to drop dead! :P But come 8pm once I've sat down and don't have anything left to do apart from watch tv and sit on my computer I just want to go to bed T_T I'd also be weary of eating too much at lunch; my job is very active - dog walking, running around all over the place, heavy lifting, lots of bending down to move/pick things up etc, I wouldn't want to be too full to do that. Funny you should mention bananas though - I actually have been eating them this past week as my fruit with my lunch, I love bananas :) I'll make sure to keep that up! Gotta say though, with regards to wholewheat carbs - the bread I won't budge on because brown bread it YUCKY, but I like wholewheat pasta, I think it tastes so much better, kind of nutty :)

Oh and I'm off the energy drinks ;) Red bull and the like is gross anyway, but I used to be hooked on coke/pepsi/etc - it was literally the ONLY thing I would drink for about 2+ years. I've quit now while I still have my teeth! :P

Love your comment about brown bread! I know the feeling. I tend to feel I'm getting '2nd best' but force myself to eat it. If I have white I bloat out like a puffer fish!! I only tend to have fizzy drink as a mixer with alcohol . My god, I sound so exciting ! I wish I could eat pizza every day but sadly that's not good for me either... I think it's hugely unfair !!! LOL

I was like this when I worked full time as I was on my feet all day and also walking the dogs morning and night also it was draining! I actually didn't really find anything to help tbh lol other than if I was going out or anything I wouldn't sit down! As it was as soon as I stopped I crashes out! I also felt tired even on days off like you

I know what you mean about the brown bread, but whole grains really carry you longer. Whole grain english muffin with an egg on it in the morning will fuel you really well. Not quite as nasty as wheat bread! Or what about a nice rice pudding? you could make it the night before. Also studies show that lunchtime is the best time for coffee as it regulates bloodsugar to prevent a crash. Adding a piece of cheese with your fruit in the afternoon will help too for a protein boost!:coffee: