Why we all need to take a stand against BSL

jmscott

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Laws_and_Legislation/thread/410484

List of 75 Banned or Restricted Dogs

For anyone reading this outside the U.S., the dogs listed below are not NOT UNIFORMLY banned/restricted across the entire U.S. This means that the breeds listed below are banned or restricted in different places around theU.S. , and that individual states, cities, counties or towns all make their own LOCAL LAWS - and those laws differ according to individual communities. Also - it's important to note that the list includes even MIXES of these breeds.

So - without further ado, courtesy of the RDOWS, here is the list of 75 - count 'em - SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds .....................

1. AIREDALE TERRIER

2. AKBASH

3. AKITA

4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG

5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE

6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD (For those not born in the 1940s, this is the German Shepherd Dog)

7. AMERICAN BULLDOG

8. AMERICAN HUSKY

9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER

11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG

12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD

13. ARIKARA DOG

14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG

15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD

16. BELGIAN MALINOIS

17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG

18. BELGIAN TURVUREN

19. BLUE HEELER

20. BOERBUL

21. BORZOI

22. BOSTON TERRIER

23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES

24. BOXER

25. BULLDOG

26. BULL TERRIER

27. BULL MASTIFF

28. CANE CORSO

29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG

30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD

31. CHINESE SHAR PEI

32. CHOW-CHOW

33. COLORADO DOG

34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER

35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO

36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX

37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS

38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL

39. ESKIMO DOG

40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG

41. FILA BRASILIERO

42. FOX TERRIER

43. FRENCH BULLDOG

44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER

46. GREENLAND HUSKY

47. GREAT DANE

48. GREAT PYRANEES

49. ITALIAN MASTIFF

50. KANGAL DOG

51. KEESHOND

52. KOMONDOR

53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY

54. KUVAZ

55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER

56. LEONBERGER

57. MASTIFF

58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF

59. NEWFOUNDLAND

60. OTTERHOUND

61. PRESA DE CANARIO

62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN

63. PUG

64. ROTTWEILER

65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND

66. SAINT BERNARD

67. SAMOYED

68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND

69. SIBERIAN HUSKY

70. SPANISH MASTIFF

71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER

72. TIMBER SHEPHERD

73. TOSA INU

74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD

75. WOLF SPITZ

How's that for scary? You're wide awake now, I bet.

What's a dog owner to do? For starters - BEFORE you move, buy or rent a home, wherever you are - be sure to check with the local city hall - NOT THE REALTOR - to find out about local dog laws and if any breed-specific measures are in place or are being considered.

But don't take city hall's word, either. Ask for a COPY of the local ordinance, and then ask your local city council rep if they support breed-specific laws or measures.

This is just the US and not every state has every dog on it's list.

Banned breeds by country:

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/Locations/BSLListings.htm

http://stopbsl.org/bsloverview/impossibleid/

I've been saying this for years. If we don't stand behind and up for the pits, we dare not ask for their help when it becomes our breed. Take every opportunity to educate others on the breed. If you are confident in handling your husky, get them out in public - at the same time, don't take risks. If you don't know exactly how your dog will respond to any given situation, think twice about taking them to group situations and dog parks.

When people talk to you about your husky, refer to them as Siberian Huskies to differenciate between the northern breeds.

I have a friend who went to a dog park....$7,000 later, her Sibe now walks around with a "red dot" on his back. He's been accused of being vicious. Didn't matter that he wasn't. No one investigated properly. If he so much as knocks a youngster down...........well, I don't want to think about the consequences.

Check your home insurance folks. Many specifically list the Siberian....

If you don't think this is already happening, you're only fooling yourself.

Above all else, remember that this forum with over 8,000 members - all who claim to be in love with this breed, has a voice. We can do no better for our breed than things like when our UK members showed up for Katy's funeral and her benefit. By keeping the breed in the news in a positive nature, it can only help.

If your local news station or paper does an article that gives improper information, it's your responsibility as an owner to force them into corrections. Provide better statistics, provide sources of proper information to make yourself look like you know what you're talking about.

We can't leave this alone. Diligence and true and correct information is what will help....

*Removes self from soapbox and returns you to your post*

This is something that has been going on for years. This is why we need to take a stand NOW. Shelters will not adopt out pit bulls and any puppy that is believed to have bully breed in them is put to sleep before the public even knows they were in the shelter. Its only a matter of time before we never see another Siberian Husky at our local shelters, and not because they all have homes.

Some tips I have found around the internet include doing things like:

--Identifying that you own a Siberian Husky to differentiate from other northern breeds and hybrids. "...targeted dogs are often subject to BSL not because they are in fact a specific breed, but because they simply look similar to a particular breed or have a general physical appearance that someone might consider 'targeted breed-like.'"

--If you choose to mention your dog, be very careful what you say. When you speak out against BSL by arguing "My pit bull is the friendliest dog on the planet and everyone

loves him!", that is not helping your case. Your pro-BSL representative believes you own a ticking time bomb. Your protests that your dog "loves everyone" only confirms in their

mind that you are in denial - and anything else you may try to say becomes more crazy talk to them. On the other hand, if you speak to the representative as a concerned

citizen - not a dog owner - you are more likely to be heard and respected as an equal rather than discounted as a nutjob.

--Mention your dog only if you have proof - a title, certificate, award, or other evidence - that your dog is capable of "above average" good deeds and is highly unlikely to be a

"ticking time bomb." If you have a therapy dog, a search-and-rescue dog, a hero dog (which received some sort of recognition from a major group), or an obedience-titled

dog, you can mention it. If your dog's credentials are average (i.e. Temperament Tested, took some agility classes, lives with a child and hasn't eaten him yet), that's

great - but not good enough to get out of the "could snap at any moment" category, so it's probably best to leave him out of it. Yes, you have every right to be proud of your

dog, and yes, you should tell people all about your great dog - but not when you're talking to a pro-BSL legislator. They have a tendency to tune out words from pit bull and

Rottweiler owners in particular.

--Join your representative in worrying about the human victims. For those of you who recently watched shark week, you probably saw the group of shark attack victims who are rallying now to protect and educate about sharks. we need more groups like this where people are coming to understand what happened and help educate others about it.

--Provide good examples of non-breed-specific legislation that works. Identify some possible solutions to the problems your community is having with dangerous dogs.

Perhaps your animal control department is underfunded and understaffed, resulting in paltry enforcement of laws. Maybe your community has a blase attitude toward leash

laws and other dog laws. Perhaps school children are not getting any lessons in dog safety. Try to identify what areas need to be worked on in order to improve public safety and reduce dog bites. Offer model non-breed-specific dangerous dog legislation to replace breed-specific proposals (the AKC and the HSUS can both provide this). Our government representatives need to look like they're doing something - anything - to protect the public against vicious dogs. They automatically default toward BSL because it seems so easy, but if you give them something better, safer, and more effective...

http://www.arottalove.org/info/file?file=s2024m10201.pdf

_________________________________________________________________________________________

There is some irony in this pro BSL campaign website snippet:

Q: I own a German shepherd; will my dog be regulated next?

Pit bull advocates and humane organizations often use scare tactics to help gain support for their cause. They say if pit bulls are banned today, German shepherds and cocker spaniels will be banned tomorrow. The former Dog Warden for Lucas County, Ohio, Tom Skeldon, was the most recognized authority in the U.S. concerning pit bull regulations during his tenure. In a 2005 article, Skeldon highlights this scare tactic:

"Some humane groups have been manipulated by these pit bull factions to where they fight breed-specific legislation using scare tactics like 'your breed will be next.' And for 13 years, their breed hasn't been next."

Communities that enact breed-specific laws usually do because a single class of dogs -- pit bulls -- constitutes a small percent of the registered dog population but commits a large number of bites. This is further compounded by the fact that many pit bull bites result in severe injury. The rational basis for regulating pit bulls, as opposed to any other breed, is that selective breeding has produced a dog with bite and attack traits unlike any other dog.

AND NOW THEY ARE!

I think most people here know where I stand on this issue. I'm an member and admin on a positive pit bull website that focuses on educating the public about pit bull type breeds and about responsible dog ownership. I've written many articles and papers on pit bulls and bsl and when ever possible speak out on behalf of banned breeds and against bsl. Bsl is a quickly spreading epidemic in the US and is becoming a pandemic world wide. If we dog owners don't stand up and do something today I dare not think of the future for us and our dogs...

Rather ironic that the most aggressive dogs I have ever encountered are not on that list - the little Dachshunds and Chihuahuas :(

Don't get me wrong, my daughter has Dachshunds and I adore them and they are extremely well behaved and friendly to everyone, but ........... like any breed, in the wrong hands they can be terrors raring to fight.