Rubbish day at the vets :(

jessiezara90

Sooo I took Meeko today to the vets as I was concerned about the way he walks. The only way to describe is that he waddles? His back legs just look odd. So took him in to see if anything was up. The vet was pretty unfriendly and clearly did not like huskys as he lectured me on how there not a great pet dog etcetc. And how he was attacked by one! I was abit like I have come in for his health! Anyways he asked what I was feeding so I told him totw which he had never heard of and was sceptical of it? So he started feeling around and he squeezed around his back legs and hips and Meeko screamed clearly in pain, so he then said he has hip Displasia and has to go for X-ray on Friday to confirm, he said could possibly be a growing pains??

I dont think it hurting him all the time cause he Very active in every way..

has anyone had a problem similar?

im so worried now, but was thinking of taking for second opinion, as I didn't really like vets approach, I will take for X-ray but is it worth taking to another vets just to see if they say the same?

aww i'm sorry you've had a bad time with the vet - how unprofessional!!

Do you know if his parents were hip and eye scored? Hip displaxia is common in huskies if the parents aren't tested - the breeders unknowlingly pass it down :(

Poor little pup, sorry to hear you are having some issues. I would get a second opinion as I don't like the vet's approach from what I've read. Sounds very bias against huskies and not very knowledgeable of them. I tend to stay away from vets who have obvious bias against certain breeds. That's why I'm so picky who Koopa my pit bull goes to see since a lot of vets are bias against them but there are a few good ones around where I live. Here's hoping you'll here something reassuring either way with your little one.

I have to echo the second opinion before shelling out the money for an xray that vet does not sound like someone I would trust my pet to. Any vet will lecture you on some points but picking out a specific breed because of a past incident is unprofessional and irresponsible.

Could be Meeko just hit his back leg on something. Ghost at 5-6 months slipped and hit a wardrobe with his back leg and was in pain for a couple of days. Dysplasia can't be diagnosed THAT easily without an x-ray, so you should change your vet. You want someone who likes all dogs and animals and not someone who differentiates between breeds.

Glad to hear Meeko doesn't have it! Ghost did not do well on the first couple days because he was on weak pain medication but once he switched to stronger one he was flying around in 2 days. The joints at 5 months are not that well developed so his bone could have slipped a little out of the joint. :)

So happy he's ok, I asked to see a different vet before his X-rays and she was lovely and let me with stay with him aswell, she said he might of yelped because he was frightened of the last guy, but they have told me to change food? Was really happy with totw will have to look into it.....

great news about his hips and the new vet, but why did they want you to change his food as lots of people seem to rate it quite highly. I don't use it personally as it is out of my price range.

They were like cause they have never heard of it?? But im not saying I know more than a vet but I think it's

pretty good stuff!!

Its likely they haven't heard of it because its an american brand, manufactured by Diamond I believe! Its rated very highly and contains great ingredients, I know some owners don't use it due to Diamond's poor record of recalls in the past but thats not to say their food is of low quality! Its going to be a much better option than anything the vet endorses and would love you to buy directly from them.

If Meeko's fine with the food, keep it. I had Ghost on Orijen and the vets asked us to change it to a brand they are familiar with because they haven't had any experience with it. They said to use xx Premium but guess what few months later we found out they actually wanted us to use xx Care which was the better of the xx's food. So for a couple months Ghost was fed with economy version of the xx. :( I still like his vets though.