Can she be THAT stupid?

robke

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh!!!! Some peoples children! I think Nathan had his answer down long before she even started.

"I thought Europe was a country." - duh ... Well, there is the European Union with it's member states, of which Hungary is one, so a certain amount of confusion can be laid there.

I think the number of people from the US who engage in international travel is still small ( on a percentage basis ) compared to those of you from Europe so we don't have the 'first hand' experience you do ... but her ignorance is appalling!!!

Then again, she is a blonde 'southern belle' ... two strikes against her right there.

how did she manage to enter the show how thick

She's Kelly Pickler she was a finalist on American idol.

She's famous for singing not thinking.

This show was a charity episode of are you smarter than a tenth grader.

well i do belived ! what about this ?

That made me laff soooo hard.

Thanx.

I think Breathing in followed by breathing out would be a challenge for these guys. :doglaugh:

Another example ... and, you know, it's things like these that make me wonder about be "an American". Should math be taught in schools? - at least previous generations had it right with "reading, writing and 'rithmetic". I can understand how a child, being taught in a one room school in back water Rhodesia ( for an example ) might not know the answer to a lot of the questions that were asked, but we're supposed to be "the world leader" ( but I won't say in what! )

When the fellow picked Australia as North Korea and Tasmania as South Korea --- I really did not know what to think!

edit: picking on you Brits again, you've had a long time to work on English, would you please engage your spelling checker? :)

Edited by Al Jones

Another example ... and, you know, it's things like these that make me wonder about be "an American". Should math be taught in schools? - at least previous generations had it right with "reading, writing and 'rithmetic". I can understand how a child, being taught in a one room school in back water Rhodesia ( for an example ) might not know the answer to a lot of the questions that were asked, but we're supposed to be "the world leader" ( but I won't say in what! )

The problem with these types of 'expose" pieces is that when you interview enough people you can get a biased slant on anything.

I'm sure there were people filmed who answered most of the questions correctly.

However to quote the massive intellect that is Forrest Gump. . . "Stupid is as stupid does".

When the fellow picked Australia as North Korea and Tasmania as South Korea --- I really did not know what to think!

edit: picking on you Brits again, you've had a long time to work on English, would you please engage your spelling checker? :)

The problem with these types of 'expose" pieces is that when you interview enough people you can get a biased slant on anything.

However to quote the massive intellect that is Forrest Gump. . . "Stupid is as stupid does".

Funny but also very alarming..

I'll admit that it's unfair to compare the Europeans we see here in the US - most of whom seem to be moderately wealthy, educated people - to "the average American" - many of whom have never been outside the state in which they were born, much less outside the country.

There were quite probably people who were able to answer many of the questions raised, but it really amazes me that the average "American" is virtually ignorant of anything outside the county.

That brings up the geography quiz given a group of school children ( and if memory serves they were 6 - 8th graders ) who were generally unable to locate different US states. I will admit that I'd have to look to see where Krzygistan <sp> is located, but I wouldn't have to look to far out of eastern / southern Europe / Asia to locate it.

I'll admit that it's unfair to compare the Europeans we see here in the US - most of whom seem to be moderately wealthy, educated people - to "the average American" - many of whom have never been outside the state in which they were born, much less outside the country.

There were quite probably people who were able to answer many of the questions raised, but it really amazes me that the average "American" is virtually ignorant of anything outside the county.

That brings up the geography quiz given a group of school children ( and if memory serves they were 6 - 8th graders ) who were generally unable to locate different US states. I will admit that I'd have to look to see where Krzygistan <sp> is located, but I wouldn't have to look to far out of eastern / southern Europe / Asia to locate it.

you're stereotyping all americans. Not all are ignorant of foreign affairs, and just because you haven't been to a different country doesn't mean that you can't educate yourself about it. i've never been to Europe but i do aspire to travel there one day. i'm trying extremely hard to not be offended by this but basically you're calling me and the rest of my fellow citizens ( including yourself i guess) stupid based on the comments of a few select individuals?

Well, this is the second time in two days where I've offended someone here - looks like it's time for me to take a long break. Later folks //al

Edit:

you're stereotyping all americans. Not all are ignorant of foreign affairs, and just because you haven't been to a different country doesn't mean that you can't educate yourself about it. i've never been to Europe but i do aspire to travel there one day. i'm trying extremely hard to not be offended by this but basically you're calling me and the rest of my fellow citizens ( including yourself i guess) stupid based on the comments of a few select individuals?

In my opinion the majority of people who live in the US ARE ignorant of things outside their community. It is, again in my opinion, a major failing of the educational system here that, seemingly, the typical citizen cannot find Spain on the map - because they're looking at central America; they don't realize that we live in a constitutional republic - not a democracy; oh, I could go on apparently ad infinitum or is that ad absurdum.

*I* did not say that any were stupid, that was your word - not mine - as I've said here and elsewhere I do consider many of us ignorant. The difference being that ignorance can be reduced by applying oneself while stupidity just seems to hang on ...

and regrettably those "select individuals" do, in my opinion, often seem to be representative of the "American people."

Now I'm gone!!

Edited by Al Jones

Am I right in thinking that Maths is not taught in America, at all?! Surely, that's wrong. Isn't it just called something different? like calculus?

math is taught in america? lol you take math starting in pre-school, elementary, middle school and then in highschool you take algebra 1 &2, geometry, calculus, and/or trigonometry. College you must take math classes to graduate as well.

math is taught in america? lol you take math starting in pre-school, elementary, middle school and then in highschool you take algebra 1 &2, geometry, calculus, and/or trigonometry. College you must take math classes to graduate as well.

Thanks LittleLuka. I think I get it now.....You break it down more into specific categories, that's probably what's getting me confused. That and the fact that someone was asking the beauty pagent ladies whether it should be taught (suggesting to me that maybe it wasn't a mandatory thing. ) Over the pond we just pool it all together into one subject mostly (I absolutely hated algebra equations with a passion, lol). :)

Well, this is the second time in two days where I've offended someone here - looks like it's time for me to take a long break. Later folks //al

Edit:

In my opinion the majority of people who live in the US ARE ignorant of things outside their community. It is, again in my opinion, a major failing of the educational system here that, seemingly, the typical citizen cannot find Spain on the map - because they're looking at central America; they don't realize that we live in a constitutional republic - not a democracy; oh, I could go on apparently ad infinitum or is that ad absurdum.

*I* did not say that any were stupid, that was your word - not mine - as I've said here and elsewhere I do consider many of us ignorant. The difference being that ignorance can be reduced by applying oneself while stupidity just seems to hang on ...

and regrettably those "select individuals" do, in my opinion, often seem to be representative of the "American people."

Now I'm gone!!

i correct myself. stupid was not the correct word to use. ignorance is being uninformed of something or unaware, have you. stupid is just being well stupid. i just don't think its necessarily fair to say "american people" are ignorant when technically we are all ignorant in some way. Whether you were born in Europe or North America that doesn't mean that you know EVERYTHING. I'm not saying everyone in America is the brightest crayon in the box, i am simply saying don't say only one group of people is ignorant. i'm going to stop now because i'm rambling i just am very proud of my country even though some of them are lazy, worthless, and like to live off of my dollar and it is my right to defend it. Not trying to pick on you Al, you can have your own opinions all you want.

Thanks LittleLuka. I think I get it now.....You break it down more into specific categories, that's probably what's getting me confused. That and the fact that someone was asking the beauty pagent ladies whether it should be taught (suggesting to me that maybe it wasn't a mandatory thing. ) Over the pond we just pool it all together into one subject mostly (I absolutely hated algebra equations with a passion, lol). :)

Haha, that makes sense. I was confused when i joined this forum because everyone kept calling different levels of school different things. I don't know why they would ask such a stupid question to be perfectly honest, math is very important (as much as i hate it haha). it's neat to see however people in different parts of the world do things.