Can she be THAT stupid?

robke

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol that pageant about math was a JOKE... Those aren't real miss america contestents,surely you all know that... I hope...

I was going to say the same thing....none of those girls look like your typical "pageant" contestant. Their hair was just one giveaway to me....not nearly enough volume or hair spray on any of them..:lolman:

you're stereotyping all americans. Not all are ignorant of foreign affairs, and just because you haven't been to a different country doesn't mean that you can't educate yourself about it. i've never been to Europe but i do aspire to travel there one day. i'm trying extremely hard to not be offended by this but basically you're calling me and the rest of my fellow citizens ( including yourself i guess) stupid based on the comments of a few select individuals?

Well, this is the second time in two days where I've offended someone here - looks like it's time for me to take a long break. Later folks //al

Edit:

In my opinion the majority of people who live in the US ARE ignorant of things outside their community. It is, again in my opinion, a major failing of the educational system here that, seemingly, the typical citizen cannot find Spain on the map - because they're looking at central America; they don't realize that we live in a constitutional republic - not a democracy; oh, I could go on apparently ad infinitum or is that ad absurdum.

*I* did not say that any were stupid, that was your word - not mine - as I've said here and elsewhere I do consider many of us ignorant. The difference being that ignorance can be reduced by applying oneself while stupidity just seems to hang on ...

and regrettably those "select individuals" do, in my opinion, often seem to be representative of the "American people."

Now I'm gone!!

I've always found Al to be one of our more outspoken and erudite members here on the forum.

Very knowledgeable about affairs outside of the U.S.A. and always willing to give an opinion on most subjects.

I have met people who would fit the 'mould' of "average" americans whilst on a cruise around the Bahamas.

(BTW flying over to do that again next feb)

They were a young couple just married in their mid 20's and were amazed at the world outside of their home state (Texas).

Very nice people but massively innocent of the rest of the world.

:happyditto: have the same experience when I was in NW Arkansas for 4 months...lovely people...but a bit innocent as you say....the posting of the video was not posted to upset anybody BTW....

Haha, that makes sense. I was confused when i joined this forum because everyone kept calling different levels of school different things. I don't know why they would ask such a stupid question to be perfectly honest, math is very important (as much as i hate it haha). it's neat to see however people in different parts of the world do things.

I agree. We have my husbands Canadian relatives over at the moment and it was eye opening to watch their reactions to driving around a round about (big circular hump in the road) apparently in Ontario there are only one or two in the whole state. I have been picking their brains constantly for the last 3 hours about everything from water sanitary systems to dog breeds! Think they were glad to get out! Lol.

I've always found Al to be one of our more outspoken and erudite members here on the forum.

Very knowledgeable about affairs outside of the U.S.A. and always willing to give an opinion on most subjects.

I whole-heartedly. <3 that Al character! :) You out there Al?!? Lets chat soon?!?

Oh, that's right, kick me while I'm down - calling me opinionated, eh?? << teasing >>

LMAO Damn straight bud :)

I agree. We have my husbands Canadian relatives over at the moment and it was eye opening to watch their reactions to driving around a round about (big circular hump in the road) apparently in Ontario there are only one or two in the whole state. I have been picking their brains constantly for the last 3 hours about everything from water sanitary systems to dog breeds! Think they were glad to get out! Lol.

Awww bless my brother has lived in Canada for the last 20 years.

I have visited him twice and always found the Canadians to be the most welcoming and friendly of people.

Remember, if all of us were ignorant, the videos wouldn't be funny because we would all agree with the poor people portrayed instead of laughing at them. Unfortunately I have to agree that there are many many uninformed "rednecks" around here that can't point to Asia on a map - to say the least. funny stuff, if a little sad.

that was my entire point was to point out that not every American is ignorant. i didn't say that we were all intelligent. i live in MISSISSIPPI!!!! i think i'm surrounded by some of the biggest idiots in the world. i wasn't trying to be rude to Al, i was just trying to make MY opinion.

that was my entire point was to point out that not every American is ignorant. i didn't say that we were all intelligent. i live in MISSISSIPPI!!!! i think i'm surrounded by some of the biggest idiots in the world. i wasn't trying to be rude to Al, i was just trying to make MY opinion.

Alex, ( and I hope I don't offend you by calling you Alex ) I didn't think you were rude. I'm going to quote my own response here, since I think it needs explaining:

Well, this is the second time in two days where I've offended someone here - looks like it's time for me to take a long break. Later folks //al

Your comment that you should feel offended was enough for me. I'm blunt and do express my opinions; but my opinions are based on 65 years of life and 10 years scattered across the globe. Believe me, if I really intended to insult you, you'd know it - but you might have to think about it!

My response was based on my own feelings; two days in a row, I've said something that has offended someone; ( maybe ) it's time I back out and see how I'm coming across. There was nothing you said that I could consider rude or offensive - it was my perception that I had offended you that caused me to decide to take a break - I was not then, nor am I now angry, upset or irritated with your responses, I am irritated with myself that, unintentionally, I've offended someone who wasn't "asking to be stepped all over".

An example is in order here, I think. When I was in Naples a youngster ( let's say 15ish ) asked if I'd take some time with him to help him with his English, seems to be a common thing with kids anywhere outside the US (( yes, I'm saying that dissolving the language departments of various schools is a major mistake! )). We walked Naples, with him showing me different places and at times comparing them to places he had read about in the US - he was also wearing out his Neapolitan dictionary until we ran across a sign in Neapolitan, Italian, English and German - the German translation was so bad that I had to laugh at it and he responded in German ( that was about as bad as mine ) - from that point on, needless to say, we had a ball! If we couldn't think of a word in Neapolitan (me) or English (him) we'd try to see if we could come up with it in German or Spanish (which he also was learning!). Okay, we probably sounded like a couple of linguistic nerds on holiday but to the two of us it was fun. I spent six months in Naples and he and I would get together about once a week, depending on his school and my work schedules - as I said, it was a ball!

I know we have some multi-lingual people here and it's common in many parts of the world ( Japanese who speak both English and one of the Chinese dialects, Germans who also speak French and English, etc ). To do that though, you must have a larger world view, it's a part of learning another language to learn the mores of the society and at least a smattering of the culture.

To finish this off with a finer point, while I don't think that most "American" are dumb or stupid, I *DO* think that most are ignorant of many things that other cultures accept readily ( like being multi-lingual ).

... and I didn't put 10 years in service because I thought badly of our country. I love her and I love her people but that doesn't mean I have to willingly accept all their failings.

Alex, ( and I hope I don't offend you by calling you Alex ) I didn't think you were rude. I'm going to quote my own response here, since I think it needs explaining:

Your comment that you should feel offended was enough for me. I'm blunt and do express my opinions; but my opinions are based on 65 years of life and 10 years scattered across the globe. Believe me, if I really intended to insult you, you'd know it - but you might have to think about it!

My response was based on my own feelings; two days in a row, I've said something that has offended someone; ( maybe ) it's time I back out and see how I'm coming across. There was nothing you said that I could consider rude or offensive - it was my perception that I had offended you that caused me to decide to take a break - I was not then, nor am I now angry, upset or irritated with your responses, I am irritated with myself that, unintentionally, I've offended someone who wasn't "asking to be stepped all over".

An example is in order here, I think. When I was in Naples a youngster ( let's say 15ish ) asked if I'd take some time with him to help him with his English, seems to be a common thing with kids anywhere outside the US (( yes, I'm saying that dissolving the language departments of various schools is a major mistake! )). We walked Naples, with him showing me different places and at times comparing them to places he had read about in the US - he was also wearing out his Neapolitan dictionary until we ran across a sign in Neapolitan, Italian, English and German - the German translation was so bad that I had to laugh at it and he responded in German ( that was about as bad as mine ) - from that point on, needless to say, we had a ball! If we couldn't think of a word in Neapolitan (me) or English (him) we'd try to see if we could come up with it in German or Spanish (which he also was learning!). Okay, we probably sounded like a couple of linguistic nerds on holiday but to the two of us it was fun. I spent six months in Naples and he and I would get together about once a week, depending on his school and my work schedules - as I said, it was a ball!

I know we have some multi-lingual people here and it's common in many parts of the world ( Japanese who speak both English and one of the Chinese dialects, Germans who also speak French and English, etc ). To do that though, you must have a larger world view, it's a part of learning another language to learn the mores of the society and at least a smattering of the culture.

To finish this off with a finer point, while I don't think that most "American" are dumb or stupid, I *DO* think that most are ignorant of many things that other cultures accept readily ( like being multi-lingual ).

... and I didn't put 10 years in service because I thought badly of our country. I love her and I love her people but that doesn't mean I have to willingly accept all their failings.

Puts it in much better perspective for me. Thank you for explaining! And Alex doesn't offend me that's what everyone calls me but everyone on here kept thinking I was male so I had to put my full name haha.

I wander what the producers would come up with if they had to pick contestants from my country - your contestants would pale in comparison - believe me :D

My husband's family comes to mind - they do not: travel, watch cable TV, have internet, or read books.

When you have a conversation with them - let's just say, it is limited to their immediate environment and day-to-day lives. But .... they are the salt of the earth, and nothing comes out of their mouth unless it is worth something.

I think we are a product of our upbringing, if we are not encouraged to explore and expand our horizons, we stagnate and the whole universe may just as well not exist.

At the risk of starting something again - though I don't think I will - while I mention linguistics in my example, because I sincerely enjoy languages and their relationships, I should add that whenever one indulges in any comparison with a 'foreign country' one - as a result of that comparison - has to learn something of the culture of the other country.

Whether one enjoys working with 'foreign' cars or methods of wood or metal working, to truly understand the 'feeling' behind the excellence in 'their' work, one should / must attempt to understand the culture from which it derives.

If I were to have said, in the '60s, that Germans make excellent photographic equipment it would not have been to denigrate the attempts by, let's say Canon, but to (for lack of a better word) celebrate the ingenuity and accuracy of the contemporary German artist. Many of our societies world wide have areas where, as a culture, they have excelled - I'm never intending to be critical of one group when I say (or suggest) that another excels in some particular area.

It's not just the US. First time I went to England for the Husky Camp I had a few people asking me where I came from. When I replied 'The Netherlands' they had no clue where that was, even though it's literally a jump across the the ocean :P

Just northeast of the Caspian (whatever that is), isn't it??? Oh, wait Netherlands is plural - wherever they are!