First Time Husky Owner

HalcyonDays

Hello there,

I would just like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Zackery, and I live in New York City. I'm a full-time college student and violinist. As I've been feeling a slight void in my life, with family relations, friends, and my love life, I felt that a dog would be a perfect fix as I was willing to make the commitment, both time and financially, to giving something so lovable a good quality of life. I have loved the look of the Nordic dogs every since I was little, and prefer the bigger dogs as opposed to the imitation dogs people call poodles and the like. I originally was planning to get an Alaskan malamute, and even had one come to the house, but as the size was just far too big, especially with two young children in the house, I felt that a husky would be a better fit.

I bought my husky from Jolene Houghtaling of Hudson's Huskies and Malamutes. He is about four months old, and in the pictures I've been shown, is the epitome of happiness. But alas, ever since I have gotten him, he's been very lethargic, headstrong, and just generally not very fun to around despite being very sweet when he wants to be.

Here is a short video of the guy. I was able to take the videos when he thought I was dozing and not paying attention to him. Naturally, he was very tired and just wanted to sleep it off. He's still dozing off and on since yesterday, the day I got him, and has no interest in exploring his new home or meeting anybody. In fact, he's very terrified of most of them, and I have no idea how to ease his anxiety as he doesn't listen to a word I say.

http://youtu.be/TAKtw1pCFaU

http://youtu.be/ci1dzf4fFXM

Huskys - to say that they're a different breed is an understatement!! I have one who is happily content doing whatever I want to do ( but she'll let me know when it's time for a walk ) and otherwise just lounging around till I'm ready to go.

I have an Alaskan who'd play 24/7 if I would! But he's learned that Sasha ( my Sibe ) has limited patience for his playfulness.

I had a Sibe, Misty, who was lovable ( she'd crawl up into my recliner with me ) whereas Sasha very seldom asks for attention and sometimes even acts as if she'd rather be left alone.

Give the pup a week or ten days or so and you'll start to see some more personality as he becomes comfortable with his new surroundings; but as I inferred, that personality can be everything from outgoing and boisterous to really laid back and cool.

Best of luck with you and your new friend!

Hi and a huge welcome to the forum :) I would give him some time - at least a week, to settle in. He is missing his pack and it will take time for him to get used to all the new people and surroundings. Be patient with him and give him space to roam - he will settle down and will be a delight to have around - my Ozzy was the first of his litter to leave home, so he was also very nervous and shy for a while.

NEW YORK - NEW YORK!

Welcome!!...you've come to the right place, as Al Jones, Rosemary and a few others have said. Give him some time, at least 7 days, to adjust - wake up, go to sleep, wake up, go to sleep, and he will start to come around i'm sure! u've got him at 4months, so chances are he's missing his old place (even if your place is better) for these next few days, he's going to be a little detached and thats just normal. Watch the change in him in the next couple of weeks! ;) before you know it, he will start coming into his own...

Let us know how use are getting on, and we love pictures! :)

Any more help or advice, just shout up! ;):up: