Combination Modern Sled and Carrier?

HalcyonDays

Hi there,

As the community was able to help me with some minor anxiety issues with my huskies so quickly and with such empathy, I figured I might give this one a shot as well and see if anybody has known of a product like this, or knows how to make one themselves.

Basically, I live in the Big Apple, and can not drive because of vision impairments. The main way I travel myself is via public transit. While I have seen many people bring in their dogs on the Subways and buses here, it's against their "rules of conduct" on the main website, and can be subjugated to being fined and removed from the train/bus if a police officer just feels like it. The one exception to this are pets in a secure carrier. While there are many carriers out there, even though my husky is only four months old, he's a pretty big boy, and will get much larger, and I definitely wouldn't have the strength or endurance to carry that kind of carrier around with me as we stroll along the cities.

My solution to this is maybe a carrier that works as a sled as well? I would imagine it would be a typical carrier, like the Furrarri Kennel or what have you, that has a handle on it, and would also have sturdy wheels and straps to attach to a harness. The way I see it, getting something like this would benefit me in three areas; it would tire Flint out more (my husky), it would give him a job to do during our walks, and it would also help me in pulling him along when he's inside the kennel so I don't break my back carrying him everywhere.

Does such a thing exist? Would it be too hard to attach the straps and wheels myself? A friend of mine told me I had to reinforce it or some such, and at that point, my eyes just glazed over. Unfortunately, us English majors have no business with anything handy...

Thank you in advance for all your help!

I am not sure, but I am sure someone will be able to help with suggestions.

Would it be possible to train your husky to be a service dog - I am not sure how visually impaired you are, but there are huskies who have worked, and are working towards their service certificates. That way, he will always be able to be with you, no matter where you are. I am not even sure how you go about training, and such, but its just a thought :)

I am not sure, but I am sure someone will be able to help with suggestions.

Would it be possible to train your husky to be a service dog - I am not sure how visually impaired you are, but there are huskies who have worked, and are working towards their service certificates. That way, he will always be able to be with you, no matter where you are. I am not even sure how you go about training, and such, but its just a thought :)

I am actually registered with the Helen Keller Center for Services for the Blind here in NYC, and have documentation to prove my disability. However, mine is a bit unique in that although I can't make out fine details two feet in front of me, I can make out the general shapes and colors of everything, so it gives me a sense of being able to navigate on my own just like a normal person. Because of this, I wouldn't be using him for a seeing-eye dog despite that would what he would be registered for. I've spoken to one of my counselors already about this, and he's actually at a loss on what to do about it, or if it's even possible. In his words, the service dogs were bred and trained for that through generations at a very early age, so just getting any old dog and training him that way wouldn't work, or so he thinks.

But I don't know ole Flint's personality yet as he just wants to laze about and doze off all day since he got here, so I wouldn't be able to judge if he would make a good service dog or not.