Safety gear

emmy-lou

ok..... for all those who run a scooter or rig What personal safety gear do you all wear???? if any..... the reason i ask is i have been watching several youtube vids and there are no 2 people wearing the same gear...... now me personally would be terrified if i was on a rig being pulled by 8 dogs but the lad in the vid was in shorts and a t-shirt...... but on the other end of the spectrum i saw a woman on a scooter being pulled by 1 dog and she had elbow and knee pads and a full on bmx lid on......

oh and while i think about it...... would a staffy x make a good running partner for an 18 month old husky???? the staffy is a nut case and will run her butt off if given the chance...... im thinking getting her trained up for it whilst im waiting for the husky to mature then she will be able to show husky the ropes so to speak :oops xxx

I have seen far too many people riding motorbikes in shorts t-shirt & flip flops! So far, I have only had 1 dog on the bike and didn't wear any safety kit partly as she was young so we were keeping speeds down and were on grass. I would probably go for skate / bmx kit when I get the chance to do it more seriously. Your example of woman / scooter / 1 dog / lots of gear doesn't sound like overkill - you never know what you might hit if you do go flying. No idea about running a staffy x with a husky though

safet gear is all down to your own personal choice. i only ever wear a helmet oh and glasses ( for the dirt thrown up in my face).. and cant say i have seen anyone wearing any other saftey gear but its your choice.. the more gear you wear or the heavier the clothing the more weight the dog/s have to pull. when its cold i will wear gloves etc but thats for warmth not safety..

as for running a staffy x again thats a personal thing if you feel the dog can keep up with the husky then there is no reason why you cant. just bear in mind if your running 2 dogs its best to use a neck line.. and then you may have issues with the height difference.

Thanks guys.... i have been looking at more the glasses and warmth side of it, gloves, jumpers and rip resistant lightweight waterproofs........

will have a look to see if i could get a custom made neck line then i will get a better idea if it is plausible or not for daisy to run with a husky xxx

cycling tops are great.. not only do they not make you feel like the michelin man they keep you warm in the cold... if you have a Decathlon ( my favourite ) store anywhere near you that is a great place to use. they have some great bits of suitable clothing and at good prices.

you rpob dont need a custom neckline.. you dont want a long one co's that could easily get tangled. its more a case of making sure they are approx the same height.. and use normal neck line.

( no point in running a terrier next to a great dane lol ) if you see what i mean.

what sort of collars do you use ???.. as a lot of people that use slip collars dont realise there is a right and a wrong way of having them on your dogs when running..

what sort of collars do you use ???.. as a lot of people that use slip collars dont realise there is a right and a wrong way of having them on your dogs when running..

I have both adjustable nylon clip collars and slip collars. my next question was going to be which collar would be best????...

I am new to this sport so any advice would be appreciated. xxx

I have both adjustable nylon clip collars and slip collars. my next question was going to be which collar would be best????...

I am new to this sport so any advice would be appreciated. xxx

i would advise a slip collar if your using a neck line rather than just an adjustable one. and have the collars so the slip part is on top . imagine the letters b and p rolled to the right.. left dog collar would be a b and right dog a p. so that the tail of letter is facing inward to the neck line.. if that makes sense if not let me know and i will take some photos of what i mean and post them for you..

i would advise a slip collar if your using a neck line rather than just an adjustable one. and have the collars so the slip part is on top . imagine the letters b and p rolled to the right.. left dog collar would be a b and right dog a p. so that the tail of letter is facing inward to the neck line.. if that makes sense if not let me know and i will take some photos of what i mean and post them for you..

That makes perfect sense ..... thank u for the info :) xxx