Decisions, Decisions....

Sparks

what would you do?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. what would you do?

• Stick at it...
    • Ask to change roles....

Ok here is the burning question.... please reply to poll too :up:

Say you have been employed into a really good position within a huge market leading company, but you were employed into a position that you don't really see you doing for the rest of your career, and quite honestly don't like doing that much.

would you stick at it, and have a really good job and just work your way up...

or would you ask to change roles into something that you would be happier doing? knowing that they could say that if you don't want to do the job you were employed for then they would have to let you go...

answers please :D lol

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I choose both on the pole?.... I would stick in the role until the position I wanted became available and then I would apply for that job and see if I could transfer.

nope just the one :P lol

The thing is with the role i'm currently in, there is little availability of progression. if i move to the new role i am going to boost my career.... i can also then apply to become a chartered engineer... but it will involve more work lol

As long as I don't absolutely loathe that job, I would stick with it (it's a good job after all, right?).

But maybe I would change my answer if I was put in that situation.

i dont loathe the job, but at the moment i dont see any movement for progression... which is why i was thinking about a change in roles. I believe it will open alot more options...

I would stay doing what you are doing, build a reputation within the company and then if something comes up that you are really interested in, apply for the transfer. In today's market it is too risky to take chances.

But then, I have never been a risk taker - I have always gone for safe.

I would have thought the company would be happy for you to want to continue developing your career. Do they have a personnel department that you could talk to. Explain what you have said here that you are happy with your job for the time being but would like to progress in the future and undertake the extra training/studying in your own time etc. Just a thought.

I'd be inclined to stick at it and work your way up either within this company or another. It really depends on you. If it's making you depressed then look elsewhere but if it's just a case of wanting to get to the top sooner rather than later, I'd hang back a bit and get a few good years experience under your belt and on your cv before moving on. :)

Edit: forum runner doesn't do polls. So couldn't vote (or even see it! Lol)

Edited by emma1979