• Ask to change roles....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok here is the burning question.... please reply to poll too :up:

Say you have been employed into a really good position within a huge market leading company, but you were employed into a position that you don't really see you doing for the rest of your career, and quite honestly don't like doing that much.

would you stick at it, and have a really good job and just work your way up...

or would you ask to change roles into something that you would be happier doing? knowing that they could say that if you don't want to do the job you were employed for then they would have to let you go...

answers please :D lol

I have actually been in that very situation so I know what I would do, however there is a very big difference here.

Personally I completely changed my job within the company and went from doing accounts to development (yeah I know a strange move), however that said I wasnt on any probation period or anything. If there is no probation period to be bothered about, then YES you should ask. They cannot get rid of you for using your initiative to ask the question. Most places will (if these things are available) try to accomodate when jobs come up in the area that you want.

From the point of view you were talking your basically sayin "Would they rather have someone in that wants to do the job?" ...... However look at it from the point of view of the persons job you would want ideally. Your managers will certainly do so and they will look at it from the same point of view, only a different angle "We have someone who actually wants to do THAT job".

You get absolutely nothing, and move absolutly nowhere without taking a little initiative and opening your mouth. Just gotta make sure its done at the right time. Do it out of probation periods etc. That way they cannot get rid of you on a whim, and if they make life hard then so what, you wanna find somewhere else anyways, right?

I have actually been in that very situation so I know what I would do, however there is a very big difference here.

Personally I completely changed my job within the company and went from doing accounts to development (yeah I know a strange move), however that said I wasnt on any probation period or anything. If there is no probation period to be bothered about, then YES you should ask. They cannot get rid of you for using your initiative to ask the question. Most places will (if these things are available) try to accomodate when jobs come up in the area that you want.

From the point of view you were talking your basically sayin "Would they rather have someone in that wants to do the job?" ...... However look at it from the point of view of the persons job you would want ideally. Your managers will certainly do so and they will look at it from the same point of view, only a different angle "We have someone who actually wants to do THAT job".

You get absolutely nothing, and move absolutly nowhere without taking a little initiative and opening your mouth. Just gotta make sure its done at the right time. Do it out of probation periods etc. That way they cannot get rid of you on a whim, and if they make life hard then so what, you wanna find somewhere else anyways, right?

the thing is it will be a complete change in what i do.... currently im a developer moving towards becoming a technical database infrastructure architect.... the move will be to a more research based job. the reason for this is to enhance my qualifications to match a professional body charter status...

i dont want to leave the company, i wont get a job like this again i know that well not straight away. I wouldnt say im on any probation because i am now classed as a direct hire...

just a hard decision, do i try and make my CV look great by moving on and enhancing my qualifications and status or do i pursue what i am currently doing and build my skills as a technical architect.

it will either be London, Rochdale, Derby, Ipswich.... one of those i think

Or i could relocate anywhere and possibly work from home

OK I voted before i saw this - and WHAT!!!!!

You could move to HERE as in where I live?????? HELL BRING IT ON!!! :D

You can be closer to yogi and ME! :D :D

the thing is it will be a complete change in what i do.... currently im a developer moving towards becoming a technical database infrastructure architect.... the move will be to a more research based job. the reason for this is to enhance my qualifications to match a professional body charter status...

i dont want to leave the company, i wont get a job like this again i know that well not straight away. I wouldnt say im on any probation because i am now classed as a direct hire...

just a hard decision, do i try and make my CV look great by moving on and enhancing my qualifications and status or do i pursue what i am currently doing and build my skills as a technical architect.

Depends ...... Remember as much as qualifications give you a good looking CV, if you dont stay in one area for long enough to gain experience they will eventually become meaningless. I will hire a database developer by experience way before I hire one with qualifications and no experience, purely as I can tell you straight off someone who is qualified to do my job but has not done it most certainly can not do my job.

Depends ...... Remember as much as qualifications give you a good looking CV, if you dont stay in one area for long enough to gain experience they will eventually become meaningless. I will hire a database developer by experience way before I hire one with qualifications and no experience, purely as I can tell you straight off someone who is qualified to do my job but has not done it most certainly can not do my job.

thats a good point, maybe gain the experience first and then go into management...

Voted.

If you are good at your present job, I don't see any problem with asking for a move to a different position.

At the end of the day, what's the worst they can say? No. You'd be no worse of than you already are, same job, same money.

I doubt very much they'd get rid of you or make life difficult for you, plainly because you wanted to better yourself post-3916-13586070061981_thumb.gif

Edited by brian brown!

Voted m8...

Not going to read what everyone else as replied before I say my piece, If it was me I'd stick to it.....

Reason: you are in a very good job and they are hard to come by but then again at your age maybe not as its a long time to do a job you don't want to be stuck in :(

Only you can really decide and I hope you make the right choice for you :)

If you are good at your present job, I don't see any problem with asking for a move to a different position.

At the end of the day, what's the worst they can say? No. You'd be no worse of than you already are, same job, same money.

I doubt very much they'd get rid of you or make life difficult for you, plainly because you wanted to better yourself [ATTACH=CONFIG]58236[/ATTACH]

Your joking Brian thats exactly what these companies are saying I myself have heard this said 3 times this year :(

What, that they'd get rid of him?

E.G Someone at ours did a similar type of thing sad he did not like and would like a change he as been in management for 8 years he wants to step down and they have told him no chance but he can leave if he wants :eek:

Another lad tried the same thing only a sideways step to a different job and was told the same thing :(

Am not saying all companies are the same but its a cut back market out there right now and with millions on the dole they think they can do what ever they want :(

E.G Someone at ours did a similar type of thing sad he did not like and would like a change he as been in management for 8 years he wants to step down and they have told him no chance but he can leave if he wants :eek:

Another lad tried the same thing only a sideways step to a different job and was told the same thing :(

Am not saying all companies are the same but its a cut back market out there right now and with millions on the dole they think they can do what ever they want :(

Those I can understand but if asking to further his prospects with the company, I wouldn't have thought they'd see that as a bad thing.

I would ask if there were any openings in the company in the area you wish to transfer to, stating that although you like the job you're doing, you wish to progress through the company.

If what Dunc's said is true, they may look on is as a bad thing but I would have thought they'd appreciate the initiative (maybe not?)

I'd still ask ;)

i have been speaking to someone from one of our offices in London, he actually encourages change, he has changed his job roll every 2 years for the last 7 year in the company.

so i think i will build a few skills and experience before looking at moving on to something new. I may be about to become very busy in work, some guys have been working 9am to 12am :/ should be fun lol

personally, I would be concerned that a company would consider axing you for wanting to further yourself for their benefit too. If there is a position going where you are looking at moving to, where did that person go? Did they move up the ladder within the company? Just like you want to do?

I can understand the for & against arguments on here, but it can only help talking to people in the company & asking their opinions. It also can't be a bad thing if you stay put for now but at least let it be known that you want to further your career with them when the time is right - it is in their interest too