Decisions, Decisions....

Sparks

what would you do?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. what would you do?

• Stick at it...
    • Ask to change roles....

found out today that my role is going to become alot more involved with the technical architect team. One of the team members is leaving (my previous manager) and i am going to be taking on his work load. so will be working alot more by the looks of things. Already today i had to do over time just to understand what the architecture of my new role will involve.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

found out today that my role is going to become alot more involved with the technical architect team. One of the team members is leaving (my previous manager) and i am going to be taking on his work load. so will be working alot more by the looks of things. Already today i had to do over time just to understand what the architecture of my new role will involve.

sounds like a good move, without moving - if that makes sense.

sounds like a good move, without moving - if that makes sense.

yeh i see what you mean, tbh its exactly what i wanted (in this role) I wanted to have more responsibility and actual hands on work to do..... just didnt expect to be put in at the deep end like this and manage a whole line of business so early... but im going to take the opportunity and put everything into it :)

Work is something you have to do day in day out - I don't see it as something just to earn a living, for me work will always be my way of life instead (though I've always wanted to work with animals, so maybe I've just HAD to have this view? Lol). Either way, I would never stick with a job I didn't enjoy. Besides the chances of me doing a pretty terrible job being really high, I'd be miserable all day every day, even when not working, because I know I have to go into work I hate again soon. Fun job over well paid/secure job every time! :D

Although that's blatantly being a bit cheeky, it's something that's becoming more frequent these days. Merge 2 roles into 1 and save on one mans lot of wages. However, if you can I'd definately give it a shot as you've got a great opportunity here to gain lots of varied experience for your cv, should you later decide it's time to move on. Qualifications are important but experience is essential in getting someone to call you for interview. A few things I've learned from the oh's many job interviews: move around too much and you're seen as a flight risk. You haven't stayed at any other job for long so why would you with this one? The other thing was to be interested and keen to better yourself but not OTT as some interviewers can feel threatened by you or perceive your attitude as arrogant. Not a good look, lol. Hope things work out well for you Marc x

Work is something you have to do day in day out - I don't see it as something just to earn a living' date=' for me work will always be my way of life instead (though I've always wanted to work with animals, so maybe I've just HAD to have this view? Lol). Either way, I would never stick with a job I didn't enjoy. Besides the chances of me doing a pretty terrible job being really high, I'd be miserable all day every day, even when not working, because I know I have to go into work I hate again soon. Fun job over well paid/secure job every time! :D[/quote']

in the real world that doesnt work really. bills have to be paid. at your age i agree, have fun doing what you want. have kids and your own house and priorities change. have i put it in a way people get what i mean?

Although that's blatantly being a bit cheeky, it's something that's becoming more frequent these days. Merge 2 roles into 1 and save on one mans lot of wages. However, if you can I'd definately give it a shot as you've got a great opportunity here to gain lots of varied experience for your cv, should you later decide it's time to move on. Qualifications are important but experience is essential in getting someone to call you for interview. A few things I've learned from the oh's many job interviews: move around too much and you're seen as a flight risk. You haven't stayed at any other job for long so why would you with this one? The other thing was to be interested and keen to better yourself but not OTT as some interviewers can feel threatened by you or perceive your attitude as arrogant. Not a good look, lol. Hope things work out well for you Marc x

not only are they merging 2 roles into 1, they are actually going to merge 5 or 6 into one. because in April i am being sent to India for a month or 2 so take over from our off shore technical team as they charge £1200 a day!

experience means alot these days, i understand that so that current move can only benefit me, even if i have to take alot of work on...

in the real world that doesnt work really. bills have to be paid. at your age i agree, have fun doing what you want. have kids and your own house and priorities change. have i put it in a way people get what i mean?

My priority will always be work and what I want to do regarding work; I have had my dreams and ambitions for forever. If kids get in the way of that, then I won't have kids. My priorities will never change :D

I know that not all people think like me and that some will feel this is not the most mature response, but

I couldnt stay in a job I wouldnt want to do for the rest of my career, it would eat me alive.

I think if it was me, that unless i were in a very difficult position and had alot to lose, that I would eventually

ask to be switched into a position that I felt I could respect myself for when I was old and gray.

again, thats just me.

I know that not all people think like me and that some will feel this is not the most mature response, but

I couldnt stay in a job I wouldnt want to do for the rest of my career, it would eat me alive.

I think if it was me, that unless i were in a very difficult position and had alot to lose, that I would eventually

ask to be switched into a position that I felt I could respect myself for when I was old and gray.

again, thats just me.

when i got this job, straight out of university, i was amazed at what the salary was... and i have since has a pay rise. so i couldnt turn it down

I had gone all around the country for different interviews and ended up getting this job that is a 30 drive to work in the morning, another reason why i couldnt turn it down. I dont hate what i have to do, i did hate it to start with, but now i have gone in a different direction i am happier.

its just not what i saw myself doing when i was in university. actually it is the total opposite lol

not only are they merging 2 roles into 1, they are actually going to merge 5 or 6 into one. because in April i am being sent to India for a month or 2 so take over from our off shore technical team as they charge £1200 a day!

experience means alot these days, i understand that so that current move can only benefit me, even if i have to take alot of work on...

5 or 6 roles, now that really is taking the **** . Still at least it gets you a heck of a lot of experience, you're cv is gonna take FOREVER to update, lol. And once you've done it for a while, you will hopefully get an idea of what roles within your sector you actually enjoyed doing the most and then identify what specific career path to take. It will definately serve you well in the long run, for when it will eventually be time to move on to pastures new, it's just hard work getting to where you eventually want to be in the mean time!

5 or 6 roles, now that really is taking the **** . Still at least it gets you a heck of a lot of experience, you're cv is gonna take FOREVER to update, lol. And once you've done it for a while, you will hopefully get an idea of what roles within your sector you actually enjoyed doing the most and then identify what specific career path to take. It will definately serve you well in the long run, for when it will eventually be time to move on to pastures new, it's just hard work getting to where you eventually want to be in the mean time!

yep i got alot of work to do.... i cant just expect to get further without getting my hands dirty first right? lol

Voted :) Said stick with it' date=' its hard to get a job now so surely you wouldn't want to risk the good job you have now, just stick at it and see if something else becomes available once you've worked there for longer (the longer you've been with them normally means more benifits)[/quote']

Definitely going to stick at it for now.... Going to gain alot of experience from this role change... Although alot more work, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2