Puppy problems

lee0113

Ive gone away for the night and now I've left she seems to be trying to bite my 4 year old daughters hair is it normal for sibe puppies to be like that it's scaring my daughter to death I think it is just testing boundaries as we only had it a few days what would people recommend as a way of stopping it as I said it started after I left so don't really know what's properly happening only what my partner has told me any help would be great

Thanks

sounds like normal puppy behaviour, I would ask your partner to keep your daughter from getting up too close as the little puppy teeth will be sharp and as a young puppy it will be attempting to chew everything. If your daughter is squealing loudly it will only be winding the pup up even more.

I'm no expert having only had our first pup 3 days but we read about dealing with nipping and have followed the advice as ours is nipping us and our 8 year old. When he does it we just say ouch in a way you would if you hurt yourself by all accounts this mimics the yelp another pup would've given when play became to rough. We find he stops instantly and licks where he nipped as if to say sorry. Admittedly it is not a one off scenario and he still does it again later but hoping if we keep it up he will learn, also straight after give him a chew toy do he knows what is acceptable to chew on.

What we do is if pups put their teeth on us playtime is over. We cross our arms over our chest and do not make eye contact with them. They learn that one way to keep the fun going is to use good manners when playing. This goes for your daughter too. Everyone in the household must be consistent and respectful to the new puppy.

How old is the pup? If it is very young, it could be mouthing things to try to figure out what they are. If they are 5 months or older, it is probably becoming sexually mature, and essentially misplaced its brain for the next 6 months. It grows a new one, but that teenager phase can be hair-wrenchingly long.

Oh my girls gave me the worst migraine one night when they discovered my pony-tail. That quickly became their new most fascinating tug toy....ouch! Very normal husky behavior. Monitor play with the child, as mentioned if the child is squealing loudly it only ramps up the excitement for the pup who is in a chewing phase it sounds like.