Hoping that friends can help me sort out some questions I have

Chewbacca_&_me

As you know I actually invested and started my own simple "family dog" dog training business. Over the months I have thought and rethought my pricing and the look of my website etc.

I do early socialization, social rehab for dogs over 1 year old, a potty training program and also private sessions at the owners' homes.

The early socialization is for puppies and is 2 weeks long. I have just started to offer this one. I feel that this is very important where I live since social problems are among the top 3 reasons for surrenders.

The social rehab I have offered since the beginning and I have now rehabbed 12 dogs that have gone on to have much healthier social behaviors. This program is 2 to 3 weeks long depending on the first 3 days which I spend very carefully assessing them and any anxiety aggression or dominance behaviors they have.

The potty training is 2 to 3 weeks as well and the program time depends upon how old they are and how severe their habits are about going potty in the house, crate etc. I have gotten 11 dogs on successful potty training so far since the start.

Now my question is what would you be willing to pay (as good dog owners and within financial reason) for these services?? I either end up feeling the price is unfair to them or to me...so I'm hoping you can help me sort this matter so it's good for the customers and good for me as well.

Please don't judge me too harshly, remember some dogs are very difficult to train so I put in a lot of time and I buy a lot of special cleaners and products for cleanup etc. so far all of my 11 potty training cases have been with very difficult young dogs or puppies that were completely untrained.

The social training cases usually deal with aggressive dogs, dogs with fear and anxiety, and things like that, but I have often had owners that refused to provide enough food for their dogs and stuff like that and I often have to buy excess amounts of dog food, allow customers dogs' to use my crates and stuff and in the beginning the training is very time consuming and I often work with all the dogs from around 630am to 11 or 1130pm.

Please let me know what you feel is within reason as far as pricing goes because I have had a lot of trouble deciding.

I think there's a question of credibility when prices are too low. An in-home assessment, for example I'd picture something more in the range of $75 - $100. You're doing the traveling, you're going to them and leaving your office.

Ditto your pricing on boarding - I've paid $25 ( and up ) for a nights boarding at a good kennel over by Houston. I want to feel that my dogs are going to be properly fed, watered, sheltered and exercised during their stay. When the prices get too low, I have to wonder about the quality they're going to receive. Is this a professional doing a professional task or someone who has the space and wants to earn a couple of extra dollars?

Think of it in terms of a doctors visit, would you be comfortable having an unknown surgeon provide services at 10% of what you knew to be the going rate? Wouldn't it raise doubts in your mind?

There's an old saying ( yes, even older than I am ) that says "Charge what the market will bear." If you're extremely out of line then you won't get get the business you want - offer discounts for whatever and lower your prices.

I want to let you know though that I have a very specific target market that I'm trying to reach as well. As u prob know there's a good 40 to 60 percent of of pet dog owners that stop seeking help when they can't afford to feed the family and get help from a dog trainer. I'm aiming my sights to help the ones that think that help is unattainable because of money. Don't get me wrong I'd love to make more money but I also want to see less cases of extreme training failures... That land dogs in shelters...and I just don't see any chance of improvement in that department without some reasonable sacrifice from our pet industry professionals. $45 an hour is not bad IMHO

I want to let you know though that I have a very specific target market that I'm trying to reach as well. As u prob know there's a good 40 to 60 percent of of pet dog owners that stop seeking help when they can't afford to feed the family and get help from a dog trainer. I'm aiming my sights to help the ones that think that help is unattainable because of money. Don't get me wrong I'd love to make more money but I also want to see less cases of extreme training failures... That land dogs in shelters...and I just don't see any chance of improvement in that department without some reasonable sacrifice from our pet industry professionals. $45 an hour is not bad IMHO

You're right, $45 an hour is great (at least as far as I'm concerned) but how many $45 hours do you get in a day? If you only get two and work a 9 hour day then you're not really making $45/hr you're making $10 ...

If you ask professional rates and get them, then you're money ahead; if, on the other hand, you go to an interview and realize that this family is going to be taking food off of their table so they can keep the dog they love, it's easy enough to give them a discount - for whatever reason you like. I'd think they'd be offended if you came out and said you were giving a "poor folks" discount, but if you select one of them to give "extra help" as you're working with their dog, you can "pay" them for that help ...

I understand and appreciate what you're doing, I'd just like to suggest that there are other ways of achieving the same thing ... you can still post standard rates, but word of mouth will get around that you're willing to help someone who really wants help but can't afford it.

My wife and I looked into getting professional help with Cj (SA). I would say your prices are extremely fair....maybe even a little on the low end. Question: In the contract do you leave yourself the option to charge more for "Difficult" dogs? Maybe this can offset the above mentioned discounts...but also keep enough profit for you to continue offering your service.

Edited by Osinn11

The service you offer is unique to each animal. I think as long as you are honest up front and the customer knows your advertised price is the starting point for your services you should be fine. I'm sure you probably have a good idea what your in for based on a first visit. During this first evaluation you can determine whether this particular animal will be "standard" fee or not.

I agree with the others. When I was looking around for boarding and/or dog sitting/training services...the price was a big factor. Too low of a price, and it gave me an impression somebody was doing it just as a 'side job' for extra money...and that is concerning because I wouldn't know if they are professional or not when it comes to their services. I would be concerned for my dog's safety, too, especially if they're not bonded.

I know what you're getting at. I'd raise the prices a little bit higher, but maybe offer discounts/coupons/a free training session for those who might not be able to afford it. And, like already said, price the 'difficult/dangerous dogs' higher than an easier animal.

Lots of good advices above but have to ask is what you are charging within your area however big that is. The current avg market price? Also I would highly recommend that you leave yourself an open ended contract to give yourself some wiggle room for pricing. It would not be fair to you that you put in a lot of effort for a more difficult dog then feel resentful at the end with the monetary reward. It would not be healthy for you, your business and your clients in the long run.

Lastly, these type of lifestyle altering service is usually based on an emotional value rather then cold logic. A lot of pet owners will go to lengthy extremes including myself to make sure their dogs are physically and emotional well. Does that mean you can overcharge? sure you can but my meaning is to say with genuine concern and good business practice you can promote your brand in a way that you can justify to charge a premium for your services.

hmmmm...very interesting.

so Im giving it a cold run. Ive gone ahead and done a price increase based solely upon common rates in my area, and depending on the complexity of

each service. I have definitely found that in some cases ive made a bit of a mess for myself by charging too little and then ending up spending money on items or supplies that were needed for more difficult furry customers.

will see how it goes :)