Scab inside ear not healing? Am I missing something?

VanIslandSibe

So the other day I noticed my sibe had a cut on the inside of his ear canal (not too deep right near the surface). I think it was caused from him playing rough with his rotty pal (the rotty often grabs onto his ear with her teeth). I didnt think much of it but in the last few days it hasn't been healing. I haven't seen him scratching or pawing at it so it doesn't seem like he's scratching the scab off. I notice every time I check his ear (a couple times a day) that it is always full of dried blood which is mixed with brown ear wax. I keep cleaning out the dried blood and ear wax and it looks okay after that. It doesn't appear to be red like it would be from an infection. But sure enough the next time I check his ear it looks exactly the same: full of dried blood and ear wax. His other ear looks perfect so I guess my question is why is it continuing to bleed and is the ear wax a sign of infection or just a reaction to try and catch the blood? Can the blood running into his ear cause any damage or infection? Obviously the thing to do would be to take him to the vet but I dont have alot of money and I don't want to get charged $150 for them to say he has a cut in his ear. If anyone has any tips or any ideas (if you've seen anything similar to this) please let me know. I just don't know how long I should leave it for before he needs to go to the vet. I should mention he has had one yeast infection about a year ago but it was pretty obvious as his ear looked very red.

Along with ear discharge, if your dog's ears seem painful when they're touched, if your dog is tilting its head to one side, stumbling or circling to one side, pawing or scratching its ears, shaking its head, if the ear or ears seem inflamed, or if there's ear odor, it could be a sign of these common dog ear problems:

Ear mites. Though extremely tiny, ear mites can be a big problem for dogs, especially younger ones. One sign your dog may have mites is a crusty, reddish-brown ear discharge, which often looks like dried shoe polish. Other signs include scratching and head shaking.

There are several treatments for ear mites; some options only kill the adult mites but newer products also eliminate the eggs and the immature forms. Treatment with these products is much easier, so talk to your vet to find the best choice for your dog.

Outer ear infection (otitis externa). A waxy, yellow, or reddish-brown ear discharge can also be a sign your dog has an ear infection, which can be a result of allergies, mites, polyps, overproduction of ear wax, excessive bathing or swimming (which can leave too much moisture in the ears), or other problems. Additional signs your dog might have an ear infection are a bad or fruity odor from the ears; pain; hot or inflamed ears; scratching; or head shaking.

A problem like this requires prompt attention from your veterinarian. Treating an external ear infection may require an antibiotic lotion, oral medication, an ear-cleaning solution, or an ear-drying solution. Chronic issues sometimes need surgery.

Inner ear infection (otitis interna) or middle ear infection (otitis media). An untreated external ear infection can easily lead to a very painful middle or inner ear infection, both of which have similar signs to otitis externa, along with reluctance to open the mouth or problems with balance. Some dogs may walk in circles or become nauseous.

Treatment for middle or inner ear infections may require antibiotics, flushing the ear by your vet, or surgery if the infection is serious.

[h=3]Ear Discharge in Dogs: Why You Should Talk to Your Vet[/h] Gently pull back your dog's ears and have a quick look inside. What you should see is a clean, pink ear canal. If you notice discharge, redness, swelling, or odor, it's time to talk to the vet. Left untreated, ear problems in dogs can result in severe pain, hematomas, balance problems, and even deafness.

Because ear discharge in dogs can be the result of dozens of things, and can have all kinds of smells, colors, and consistencies, don't try to guess what's causing your dog's ear discharge. Find out by making an appointment with your vet, who can diagnose the cause of your dog's ear discharge and prescribe the best treatment.

Several things.

Does your Sibe keep rubbing his affected side on the ground / carpet ? That would keep it open.

Do you have another dog that is constantly licking the wound thus keeping it from sealing up ?

Dogs will lick each others wounds to help clean them.

Thanks for the input! No he is the only dog. I have never seen him rub it on anything or paw at it. I have seen him shake his head a couple times but I think its just the bleeding scab that is bothering him. I have noticed that when I clean out his ear with gauze that he does the phantom leg scratch which means his ear may be itchy, but to be honest it could just feel good to have his ear rubbed as I must admit it feels rather good when I clean my own ears. Im just going to give it a couple more days with some polysporin on it. If no improvement or if it gets worse I guess I'll have to make a trip to the vet.