Blowing coat

Applebear

I am just curious what is the best way to keep shedding down and tackle the blowing coat of a husky? I read somewhere you weren't suppose to use a furminator, and was curious why [my only guess is maybe it strips too much of the undercoat]. When telling my friend this [who swears by it], she said it shouldn't hurt him if I don't overuse it...but I figure there's a reason and I shouldn't go running out to buy one just yet. I also read that you could give them a luke warm bath and brush them there to loosen the hair, but this didn't work real well with Rolyx...though I got a drain full of hair, he still has hair flying all over and I am finding my normal brushing tools just aren't getting it.

Any suggestions and ideas would be great, thanks! :)

I have always gotten excellent results with just a regular undercoat rake and pin brush, used daily in conjunction with a warm bath toward the mid of the blowing to loosen what is left and blow dry out.

I am completely against the Furminator, I've seen first hand the damage that rake causes on double coated breeds. The Furminator is a sheer blade on a fixed handle, a 40 blade to be exact. This is the same blade the vet uses to shave the areas for surgery. It does cut the guard hair which a Siberian needs to remain intact for proper function of the coat which is my main dislike of the brush.

I use a furminator on my two and never had a problem but others here have experienced it cutting off too much guard hair. It seems to depend on the length and thickness of hair on the husky in question as if the hair is too dense it may possibly massacre the coat! Another grooming tool I've heard people praise is the mikki anti tangle rake. Never tried one but heard good things about it from other h o members.

Thanks for the suggestions...def some interesting thoughts on the furminator. I found this one comb in my drawer of dog tools called the shedender [by Front I think], was wondering if it was ok to use? I inserted a pic below...it seems to have a blade a bit like the furminator, but a different handle. Regardless, I think I'm going to have to do a little brush shopping and get some variety, his shedding is beyond unbelievable.

One last question, I talked to this trainer that swore to bathing her dogs once a week with this extremely mild shampoo [can not recall name off hand]. She says it helps with the shedding and the shampoo is so mild that it doesn't dry out the skin. Anyone know anything about this? I admit her dogs look gorgeous and their coats look healthy, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Thanks again, best wishes!

post-8098-1358607058036_thumb.jpg

I'll swear by the very warm bath, as well! What tool works best tends to depend very much on the type of coat and where the dog is in it's shed cycle. I've had good luck with a curry comb like this one - http://www.smartpakequine.com/spiral-curry-comb-5030p.aspx?cm_mmc=paidfeeds-_-nextag-_-Horse%20Supplies-_-2109686045. I find that especially when the coat is wet, it really gets out the fur - both undercoat and guard coat. A longer toothed comb is really good for undercoat, as is a rake with longer teeth (I like the v-shaped rake). I haven't had much luck with a slicker or a pin brush for getting a thicker coat out, as a general rule. They're better, in my experience, for neatening up a coat once the worst of the shed is done...

Furminators/deshedders will cut the guard hairs on your huskies coat like said. I find a flea comb actually helps :P It takes a bit tho. I am very lucky to have a very good friend who owns a grooming place so I can go over there and give Marius a bath and blow dry him with a high horsepower blow dryer :P It snows :D

I have a regular brush and a furminator. Works well for me, the thing is one shouldn't pressure it too much or it could get the guard hair out. I usually use it only on his lower back and back legs. Warm bath should ease the fur but Ghost's fur is loosened by any type of water (e.g. when he goes for a swim outside). And his coat looks lovely.

Btw, keeping shedding down with a husky is and will be a hard thing, better look for ways to fasten the shedding. :D

We have these four brushes, but Mollie hasn't yet blown her coat. [ATTACH]58462[/ATTACH] I tend to try and brush her once a day and just use the two sided brush, and find the small wooden brush gets loads out so I use that as well. I have used the furminator style one but Mollies fur is really short and it doesnt seem to do much, except on her tail and back legs, so I don't use that for all over...but this is the first I have heard about it doing damage to their fur so I thibk a little research is in order :)

post-8416-13586070666781_thumb.jpg

I use a furminator but you reall have to use it right,you can't just brush brush brush and you must do it gently, and I only do about 1 a week as Meeka's hair is fairly short..... I also use it to clean my couch lol :)

LOL! I use my Furminator to clean the couch and carpets once I'm done brushing with the undercoat rake. That's about all I use it for

Thanks again for all the ideas. I tried that shedender brush yesterday. Today I notice more tuffs are surfacing, which makes me think the shedender isn't going deep enough to damage the undercoat...it seems to just grab the loose hairs all ready falling out. I'm not digging it deep into his coat either though, more skimming the top layer. I also have two curry brushes, one exactly as that link lead to and another rubber one...neither get the hairs, they barely even touch the little tuffs sticking out all over his body. I talked to that trainer again about bathing once a week and she said the shampoo was called buddy wash...so I may try that and see if it helps cut down on the drastic shedding. Ro's coat seems to be short and more slick...doesn't even seem like he has a undercoat until he starts blowing coat and then he looks like a homeless dog. lol

I found using a rubber curry coat ( meant for horses ) a pin comb and undercoat rake on my girl I have a furminator but just prefer the other brushes xx

I just toss my little beast in the ocean every day and let him swim and play it out. A quick hose down and brush while still damp after his adventure and it really cuts the fleas and shedding for some reason! Little snot cries if I give him a bath in the tub like a civilized dog! :up: