Husky vomitting after drinking

67/289

I have been told this is a common problem if your husky is hot and drinks gulps water down.

The past two days I have taken her for walks, it has been pretty hot outside 85 to 90 and she gets tired and pants real bad so we go home. When we get home she gulps down some water and then vomits a bit of it back up a few minutes later. Is this because she is hot? Her feces was soft and runny yesterday but today was formed and good to go. I have heard it is probably a heat issue and she is getting too hot and thus drinking water to compensate. If she isn't throwing up food or retching is is worth taking her to the vet? She was just there last week for a checkup and the vet didn't see anything wrong with her. She is two years old and isn't the most active dog since I live in the city. She mostly lays around and watches tv with me but is very excited and active outside and around people so I attribute this manner to boredom and not disease.

I have only had her for a week so I am still trying to get her to adjust to my mannerisms and schedule but she has had quite a bit of stress...she hates kennel training but is getting better.

If it's happening right after exercise or excitement chances are she's gulping a lot of air down with the water and just needs to calm down/cool down a bit before being offered a drink

It's normal.... Ice does it sometimes after walks or playing...

Edited by ICE & SHADOW

If it is too hot in your area don't walk her much, it's better to walk her early in the morning and later in the day. Ghost, when it's hot, is starting to breathe after about 5 minutes but there are ponds nearby where he can cool and a lot of shadows to hide in. Always take water with you or something fresh, e.g. pieces of apple (nicely cool from fridge) or something to keep her dehydrated.

Anyway, yes it happens, Ghost coughs after he gulps it quickly and vomitting, yeah. Ghost sleeps more than half the day but comes and tells me whenever he wants to go out. :)

You need to take her out on a regular schedule (frequently, since you know she drinks a lot of water and needs to "go" frequently!) until she learns to tell you when she needs to go out! She probably doesn't have a clue HOW to tell you she needs to go - they aren't born knowing to go to the door and bark! You might get a bell and hang it from the door you use to let her out. Every time you let her out, ring the bell, and tell her "Ring the bell!" After a while, try to get her to touch the bell with her nose - give her cookies, praise or whatever it takes to reward her for ringing the bell! - and immediately take her out! EVERY time she pees or poops outside - reward her with whatever it is that really trips her trigger! Make it worth her while!