Still got the runs

Tyrone&charlotte

Sorry to keep going on about it but jerry still has not had a solid toilet episode! Put him on plain cooked chicken breast and rice 2 days ago and has made no difference. Vet just says not to worry he is fit and healthy. Still full of life and eating and drinking fine. Have been recommended csj food by a few people will another change make it worse? Maybe I'm worrying about nothing seems looking at all sorts of sites is quite common in huskies.

We went through the same thing with our Kallie. The vet gave us this powder called Fortiflora, to balance the bacteria in the bowel, and it worked very well. The trick is to get it under control or it turns into a vicious cycle and could be debilitating over time. She still can't tolerate corn, wheat or soya, mostly we feed her chicken, rice, sweet taters, etc. She LOVES yogurt and most berries, tomatoes too. And has very nice small firm b.ms because of this. Hope this helps.

When I got Kiana at 9wks old she had the terrible bout of runs. [MENTION=322]Mazz[/MENTION] on here gave me fabulous advice and cleared it right up following his formula. Start by starving the pup for 24 hours it sounds harsh but in the end it is best to get everything out of that little tummy. If your pup acts starving during this period give them little nips of boiled chicken but not to much. I actually started it a bit late in the afternoon so Kiana was sleeping over night and started her new feeding schedule in the morning. I can't remember the exact formula so hopefully Dave will pop in her but I believe it starts with boiled rice and chicken and you start with a small amount and work your way up. Eventually you'll mix bits of kibble in with the boiled rice and chicken but like I said I don't remember the exact formula. It's horrible when they have the squits :( everyone is just miserable the whole time.

Have you dewormed him? Lots of pups get worms from their moms milk. Also, not to change food too much. Puppies have sensitive digestive systems, and changing food makes it worse. Most pups do out grow digestive problems in time. The main thing is, as long as he is eating, drinking, and acting fine, he's ok.

Cheers guys he was on two thirds of recommendation of kibble as someone told me huskies don't need the recommended amount, we then starved him for almost 24 hours and fed him cooked chicken breast and rice mixed little and often he had one small chicken breast and 100g of rice for the next 24 hours and have done this for 3 days now. Has also been on prokolin from vet but no change. Think I will try the raw chicken wings idea as also this will remove the cereal element if he is intolerant. Petrified he will choke so will read the thread I saw the other day on dealing with choking first and just make sure he's not left alone while eating them! His worming record is all upto date.

Cheers guys he was on two thirds of recommendation of kibble as someone told me huskies don't need the recommended amount, we then starved him for almost 24 hours and fed him cooked chicken breast and rice mixed little and often he had one small chicken breast and 100g of rice for the next 24 hours and have done this for 3 days now. Has also been on prokolin from vet but no change. Think I will try the raw chicken wings idea as also this will remove the cereal element if he is intolerant. Petrified he will choke so will read the thread I saw the other day on dealing with choking first and just make sure he's not left alone while eating them! His worming record is all upto date.

he wont choke but if you hold on to it to start with so he eats it slowly he will be fine because choking usually occurs when a dog eats too fast and doesnt chew enough xx

. Petrified he will choke so will read the thread I saw the other day on dealing with choking first and just make sure he's not left alone while eating them!

Use a pair of Garden secateurs to cut the chicken wings into smaller pieces.

But they really love to crunch down the bones. and as Anneka [MENTION=5861]divaandjessie[/MENTION] said the calcium in the bones really helps to "thicken" them up.

No treats of any kind, no human food of any kind.

He'll be fine don't worry. :up:

It's beginning to sound like your guy is allergic to grains in general ... I can't picture any dog that is still going to have "problems" on chicken and rice (( shoot, when I'm down I end up with chicken and rice soup - for ME! ))

Wish I could offer some help, but my only thought after this long would be to seriously consider getting a second opinion from a different vet. Vet's are people, they tend to look for the things they see all the time and overlook problems they don't see often.

D wasn't solid for 6 months no matter what we did, we tried starving him for a day to jump start his system, boiled chicken and rice, hypoallergenic food and the most bland stuff available... Nothing worked until we tried chappie (not the original flavour) then he slowly got better and now he's ok :) Still not 100% if we try anything different now though

We had a similar problem with Ice, It took months for him to stop being so bad and that's with him being placed early on with a hypoallergenic kibble, fish protein. He's nearly a year now and not as bad as before but he does seem to get worse throughout the day. Starts off firm then gets looser. Pudding dollops, nightmare to pick up! It feels never ending but eventually you should be able to get it under reasonable control.

I agree...with Nikko it felt like it would never get better. Everytime I thought it was good he would have another runny poo. I found that the smallest thing would give him the runs. Now he is all good! Hopefully the new pup will have a better time with it.