Bad times

Seren

Hello,

No idea where to put this.

This forum has been so helpful since we got Seren! But today I had-to leave her with my house-mate (Seren was both of ours) we both decided to move back to our parents homes (About 6-7hour drive between us) and look for better jobs.

I'm in pieces, I tried my best to find something for Seren and I down here to stay in - but it wasn't possible. She had been home with me for the last 2 weeks searching like mad with family and friends, but I hadto drive her back yesterday, load my stuff and leave her today. I feel like i've let her down, I know she'll be spoilt rotten with him and his parents - but I trained her and felt like we had a really strong bond :( She leaves for her new home with my housemate on Sunday. Can't stop crying. So angry I couldn't find anything. Bringing her back after a while isn't an option as his parents will bond with her and not want to let her go. :( Don't know what to do with myself feels like i've lost my left hand - sorry if sounding overdramatic!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

It's a tough situation for sure.

Maybe you could reason with the parents - say that Seren is YOUR dog as well, you trained her, etc. You could have Skype sessions where you can see how Seren's doing, maybe visit her a few times a year if funds/time allows.

I'm assuming you tried all avenues for finding a 'pet friendly' home, but have you tried looking to rent a house that's a little bit of a commute for you to drive to work...but that will allow Seren to move in with you? Apartments? Condos?

Thanks for your replies. I had never thought of skype - such a good idea! Certainly going to visit her and send her favourite toys etc :wub:

Still job hunting down here (it was more housemates decision to leave) so tried every option that was available for my fundings. So very nearly found her a home with my dads parents who have 3 dogs and perfect space, but found out 3 days before it was a no.

Saw a husky this morning and hadto pull the car over as was a mess :oops - but she has helped me through an awful lot

post-5763-13586071828999_thumb.jpg

God thats not a nice thing to have to do.

but on the plus, shes with someone she knows and who cares about her, she'll be safe and you will be able to visit too, who knows, its still early days, things may plop into place and you may be able to have her visit you on occassion....x

Feeling a little better talking about it on here :) Family doesn't really understand as none of them are excessively doggie and can't really chat about how down im feeling. Your two look very cute @Stranger !

cheers :) they can be when they have done things wrong lol.

yeah i am the only animal lover in my family....

Sorry to hear about your situation. But don't send ALL her favourite stuff, you'll want to keep some for when she visits you.

If Seren was more your dog, make a contract of sort with your house-mate that once you find the right place and a job that can provide for you and Seren you'll take her in. If she is yours too, his parents don't matter.

Oh and if they spoil her too much, they'll be eager to give her to you, after all huskies push their luck on anything, so if they don't train her properly, she'll be the boss there. (I don't mean she'll be a bad dog or that you training her was for nothing, but it's a way to get her back later on :D) Best of luck so that you'll find something for you too!

It's too late for not sending her stuff, he got everything and I got her first teddy :( She was 50/50 but I worked from home so spent pretty much 24/7 with her, she stayed in my room etc. Hes got her now and were both back in our families homes - my parents have the view of "you can get another dog in a couple of years" when my situation changes, but they're not quite understanding that won't be Seren and It won't be the same.

My housemates parents took on his brothers ex's dog and she eventually asked for her back but they had developed such a strong bond with the dog they couldn't part with him.

Haha yes I can imagine her slowly learning to master the husky charm on them (as my housemate will be working full time they will care for her the most) though they do have experience with other breeds so it shouldn't be too much of a problem

This is such a crummy situation and hes not the best with keeping in contact which is the thing worrying me the most. Can he change KC, microchipping details without my sayso?

Once again sorry for blabbing on :redface1:

It's too late for not sending her stuff, he got everything and I got her first teddy :( She was 50/50 but I worked from home so spent pretty much 24/7 with her, she stayed in my room etc. Hes got her now and were both back in our families homes - my parents have the view of "you can get another dog in a couple of years" when my situation changes, but they're not quite understanding that won't be Seren and It won't be the same.

My housemates parents took on his brothers ex's dog and she eventually asked for her back but they had developed such a strong bond with the dog they couldn't part with him.

Haha yes I can imagine her slowly learning to master the husky charm on them (as my housemate will be working full time they will care for her the most) though they do have experience with other breeds so it shouldn't be too much of a problem

This is such a crummy situation and hes not the best with keeping in contact which is the thing worrying me the most. Can he change KC, microchipping details without my sayso?

Once again sorry for blabbing on :redface1:

By the sounds of it, she's still 'your' dog because you spent the most time with her...you trained her. What did your housemate do that involved her? Probably only the fun stuff, I bet!

That's how my family and I are like here. He is, technically, a family dog...but we all know he's really MY dog because I spend the most time with him, I'm the only one that can control him, I do most of the work. So, if I ever had to move out...he'd be coming with me!

Is Seren's microchip in your name, or his? Or both? What about the address? Not saying he will, depends if he's a jerk or not, but just saying he probably can.

Thats how I felt all along really - that she was more my dog. Ha ha yes you got it. I trained, pulled my hair out, researched techniques, insured vet appointments made, took her to fun doggie places, made sure she went on more than just a walk along the pavement etc.

Microchipping under both our names, but the email address provided was mine. KC the same I believe. I mean if shes staying there now, I guess they've got the right to change it.. but hopefully they won't! :S

Here, if a dog gets a new owner (because the original one lost him and never looked for him), and let's say he has a microchip and gets lost, the rescue will contact the person that is on the microchip as the first (original owner) not the current one and even as he's registered with the city we live in, it's on my bf's name because he's a permanent citizen of Prague (I'm living and studying abroad). Even if I were to get a permanent citizenship and we'd break up I believe he'd still be listed as the original one and me as secondary, I think.

But you can't change the microchip number unless the chip is bad and he'd need to get new one for her. And if there's your mail address, at some point, if he tried, they'd need or should contact you.

I highly suggest you get some agreement contract going with your house-mate ONLY because it's not and won't be his parents' dog but his (and yours), so you shouldn't have to deal with any other people. They may have feelings for her, okay come visit her period. You've spent the most important and hardest time with her, paid for vet, trained, did most of the stuff, she IS your dog. :)

Btw did you look for a place to live in their area? Gives you more options.

Lastly, other breeds can be very different from a husky. :)

Thats good news regarding the micro-chip!

Thanks, i'll give him a ring tomorrow and see what I can do about a contract - don't want to be constantly pestering him, but want to make sure he keeps me updated!

Yes spent the most important time with her and she turned out great :D

I did look down there, but it wasn't so much lack of places - it was more of a money situation and didn't want her to be stuck in some tiny flat while I went to work, wouldn't be fair.

They certainly can be different!

Spoke to him and he has agreed to make a website to upload all her pics etc. Was a good phonecall got a lot sorted. Hes going to send me the KC certificate and i'll let him know about the microchip update when I get it.

Feeling a little better today. He said she has been running upstairs and sleeping in my room and crying a bit, but a bit better today :)

It's great you feel better. :) Seems to me like your room will be hers from now on. Did you send a T-shirt of yours as well? You can do that next time, wear it a couple times and then have it placed in her bed (if they will) so she'll know you're still there.

We'll all be very happy if you share the pictures then with us too. :D

That's great you worked out some sort of agreement! :)

I'm away at university for 10 months of the year, so my parents take care of him for me. Whenever I leave, my parents say he spends the majority of his day in my room or looking out of the windows....like he's waiting for me to come home!! :(

Makes me feel bad, but well, that's why I'm trying to transfer to a university closer to home...with the same program of course....so I can come home every (other) weekend. And not every 8 weeks like it is now.

Did you send a T-shirt of yours as well? You can do that next time, wear it a couple times and then have it placed in her bed (if they will) so she'll know you're still there.

That is such a great idea, never even thought of it! I'm going to send it down this week! She'll be moving to their home tomorrow, so it'll be ace if it comforts her! Will be sure to add pics :D

That's great you worked out some sort of agreement! :)

I'm away at university for 10 months of the year, so my parents take care of him for me. Whenever I leave, my parents say he spends the majority of his day in my room or looking out of the windows....like he's waiting for me to come home!! :(

Makes me feel bad, but well, that's why I'm trying to transfer to a university closer to home...with the same program of course....so I can come home every (other) weekend. And not every 8 weeks like it is now.

Hope you get to transfer soon :)! So sweet that he waits for you by the window!