play biting

Kishan.T

okay this may seem like a stupid question, so bear with me lol ..

what age should puppies stop play biting? Storm is almost 6 months & still play bites a little when he gets super excited. Should he have stopped this by now? or is it normal?

we do the usual thing of isolating him if he starts it & gets carried away, as the whole yelping thing & ignoring never worked, just makes him do it more.

thanks guys!! :)

Ghost stopped biting at about 4-5 months, took him a little longer with me (at 5) because I would play with him still. Now he sometimes wants to take my hand to play but it's never anything serious.

I'd say different pup different time applies, or Storm just enjoys it too much lol. Other thing you could try is when he bites take his head in your hands and put it to the ground (not too hard) and tell him no, just like dog mothers do when they want to keep their pups under control, and don't let go until he calms down, even if he's trying to get away or yelps. That worked for bf and Ghost stopped biting him at 4 months.

I can't remember what age my boys were when they stopped doing this as often, they do it every now and again with me when i'm playing with them but i suppose some will take longer than others - if you're stopping it as soon as it starts then he will eventually get the message :)