Thinking of Getting a Husky!

mirage1287

Hi all,

I am seriously considering getting a Husky and wanted to get your advice on whether or not I should. A little bit of background, I live in Southern CA and am in my final year of grad school. I live in a pretty spacious townhome and there is a yard, although it's a communal yard. I've had a dog before (a lab).

Given my living situation, do you think it's a good idea to get a husky? I would be able to take it on walks several times a day for exercise, and although I do occassionally have full day weekend commitments, I'd be willing to board the dog or put it in daycare during those periods. Also, the climate in Southern CA is warm/hot...how well would a Husky respond to conditions like that (especially for things like hikes?) I've done some basic research but I'd love to hear from actual owners...how well do Huskies play with others? In terms of temperment, is it also better to get a female than a male? Thank you!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm prob not the best to give advice, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help and there is so much info on here that may help you make your decision.

We have had our furbaby Mollie 4weeks now, so we are still learning things about each other, but she has been fantastic with every dog we have met and with children to. There has been a few problems with the bin attacking her when we have left her alone and she has got bored. But there is the option of crating the dogs as a lot of people on here do, to save their house and the dogs seem happy with a safe space as well. But each dog is different so its really down to the dogs personality.

Are you thinking about getting a puppy or rescue?

Oh and Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forums! So you are looking to get a Siberian Husky :D As far as climate goes, Siberians are very adaptable. I lived in Phoenix with my first one for years with no issue just NEVER shave a Siberian and always make sure they have access to fresh clean water. Be prepared for massive shedding! Huskies are high energy, so multiple walks daily, hiking, eventually biking/skating are all excellent outlets for that energy. Hiking (exercising) during the heat of the day isn't highly recommended but in the cooler morning and evening temps are very acceptable. When you say 'communal' yard how well is it secured? Siberians cannot be off lead outside of a well fenced (6') area or on a long lead, they have a high desire to run and poor recall. Where are you planning on getting your Siberian? Breeder? Rescue?

Welcome to the forum and thanks for you interest in looking *before* you get your new furry friend.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there's nothing too cold or too hot for a Husky, I live on the desert in southwest Texas - where the temps regularly reach 110f during the summer (think Fontana / San Bernardino ). One of mine, a short coated Alaskan Husky ( read sorta mixed breed Husky ) will lay out in the sun and soak it up, then come into the house when it gets too hot. My Sibe, on the other hand is glad to go walking just about any time - but she slows down when it gets warmer ( well, so do I! ) She'll join me in the house when it starts getting too hot. Figure that if it's too hot for you to hike comfortably, then it's way too hot for a Husky.

Husky's are not labs ( I've had both and love both ) - as was said, they like to run and they don't necessarily know when home is when they stop running - from personal experience, letting them off lead in a open area is asking for heartache!

It sounds like they're really great dogs but there's the potential for a lot of complications?

They are excellent dogs, they are great dogs - but think of them more as a person in fur, they have personalities like no Lab you've ever seen! Things to consider, if you don't like fur - don't! If you want a freewheeling companion - don't! If you want a dog who does what it's told, right then - don't! and I wouldn't have said "complications" I would have said "considerations" ... :)

Edited by Al Jones

I believe that Huskies, like most dogs can adapt to many different living situations. I think the big question is not where you live, but that you are willing to take the time with the pup. I live in northern Indiana, and although we have cold winters, the summers can be very hot and very humid. Just this year we have had about 50 days with 90+ temps and 5 days with 100+ temps and my pup did just fine. I also live in a town home with about 1200 square feet and a small 20ft by 20ft fenced in “yard”.

If you get one from a breeder just make sure to research them before you commit. Also make sure to visit the breeder and see the parents first too. I got my first pup from a petstore (before I knew better!) and my second one from a breeder. A lot of people have strong opinions on getting a rescue dog, but do with is right for you! I wanted a puppy to raise from early on, and so I knew the background on him. But getting a puppy is A LOT of work!

Whether you get a puppy or a rescue make sure to enroll in obedience class, and work with them daily! It is very important to get a routine going, and to have good training!

As for the weather, just don’t work them hard when it is hot, go on more frequent shorter walks when it is warm, and make sure they have plenty of water, and they will be fine. You said you had a lab…a lot of people I come across ask if my dog will always have to be leashed…the answer is YES! A husky is not like a lab, they cannot be trusted off leash! Some people may allow theirs to be off leash, but I will never risk that. They are stubborn and independent!

Huskies are great companions, but you just have to know what you are getting into before getting one. As long as you understand the breed and take the time to work with your dog, you will do fine. You also have to take a look at your lifestyle and what you want. If you are looking for an obedient dog all of the time, one that will be your lap dog and will come back every time, then I would think again before getting a husky. For me, I like the independent mind of them, and they have WAY more personality than any dog I’ve met!

Adding onto the comments above, huskies can NEVER be trusted off-leash. They have high prey drives, so will try to kill small animals (birds, rabbits, squirrels, cats, hamsters, etc) and sometimes not-so-small animals (opossum, raccoon, etc.). They are also incredibly stubborn, and will not listen to like a Lab would. Huskies have their own agenda - they do what they want to do at that moment. If that means running out in traffic instead of listening to you to 'come!', well...

A few other facts about huskies:

- Already mentioned the high-prey drive, but wanted to list it here again. They WILL kill (small) animals, mine has killed at least 12 animals in the past 2 years. Clean up isn't fun.

- They are very stubborn; and thus can be hard to train.

- They should never be let off leash. NEVER.

- However, they are intelligent as well...so if they want to listen to you, they will pick up a command really quickly.

- They shed a lot!!! Expect to have dog hair in your food, on your clothes, and in little balls everywhere. Even if you vacuum twice a day. And this isn't even while they are 'blowing' their coat. That is a few weeks of fur-hell!

- Most huskies I've seen make a LOT of noise (howling, what we call 'wooing', and 'talking'.) There are the odd few that are quiet, but those are rare.

- They were bred to pull sleds for long distances in the cold. That means they: Need a lot of exercise. I've read at least 2-3 hours of JOGGING a day (when they are adults), and obviously less when they are puppies and seniors. They also pull like steam trains, and it is almost impossible to train them out of it.

- Like all dogs, but more so for intelligent breeds like the husky, they need mental stimulation every day as well as physical exercise.

- They are independent dogs. Not very loyal, at least in my boy's case. They do what they want, when they want, how they want!

Yeah…I did not even think about the fur! I am a pretty clean/neat person so it took some time for me to let some things go. My taste in décor was not meant for husky living! I have all black furniture, so it shows A LOT!!!! If I wanted it clean I would have to dust twice a day. Buy a swiffer, you’ll be glad you did LOL.

Neither of my pups make all that much noise. Sometimes Nikko will bark at Yukon when he wants something he has, but for the most part he is pretty quiet…until someone comes over, then he is a nightmare! He goes nuts for about 10 minutes!

I am sure each dog is different when it comes to exercise too. I take both my pups on 4-15 minute walks a day, which is about 3 miles (more on the weekends), and they seem pretty good, especially since they play with each other. I don’t have a yard for them to run in, so they get their exercise from our 4 walks per day.

Wow this post has got so negative... Let's have a few positives about the bread :)

Your right…when I was looking for my first husky I almost changed my mind because everything I read was negative, and I am SO glad I didn’t!

So here are my pluses:

SMART!! - they are very intelligent, and can pick up things very quickly. Nikko was the star of his puppy classes

Beauty – they are stunning dogs, they attract attention wherever they go!

Personality – I think they have the coolest personalities of any dog! They are definitely jokesters and sometimes seem human-like!

Affectionate – Even though they tend to be independent, mine at least will give you lots of love when you get home!

No doggie-smell – they don’t have the odors of most dogs, and even when they get dirty they will clean themselves like a cat

Huskies are independent, intelligent, loving, aloof, affectionate, they love everyone, they love playing with other dogs, they are stubborn, they are fussy eaters, they play rough (I mean very

Very rough) they are the best dog in the world!! And as you will see there are many of us on this forum

Who have more than one dog, huskies are like Pringles once you pop you just can't stop.

I would also like to say welcome to the forum and well done on researching before you get a husky.

Positives - what positives? So a few generalities:

As has been mentioned a few times already, if you're not in top shape mentally they WILL out-think you!

They are not a one person dog! They love everyone, if someone gives them more attention than you are at the moment, they're apt to decide to go with them! Loving everyone though means that you normally won't have any dog <-> people issues (( though it seems as if we have several users here who do have .... ))

You don't have to worry about mowing the lawn, there won't be any to mow. One of a Husky's favourite passtimes is to dig! So if you thought you had a nice lawn, you're right - you had a nice lawn! (( Some members provide a sand pit for their dogs to dig in and it seems to work well - for them! ))

They are excellent dogs, excellent companions, intelligent and loving .... but they are also like no other dog you've ever had!!!

Edited by Al Jones

Sorry to be so negative, I just have seen too many owners who throw their dogs at shelters because they don't research the breed ahead of time, or they do but get one anyways because [insert stupid shallow reason here.]. I've seen too many huskies at shelters, and some put down, because their owners gave them up for stupid reasons.

I don't want another husky in that situation again, if I can help it. Nor do I want any of stress on the owners!

Like for example, Suka was given up 7 months after adoption (2nd owners) because they had to move and the place they were going to didn't allow dogs. They couldn't see themselves moving in 7 months!? And, before they gave him up to the shelter, they tried to sell him on Kijiji for $800!!

He's a wonderful dog; such a sweetie. I'd sell my soul before I'd sell him!

I think your situation is fine and if you are away on weekends (but home at night to feed/water etc) then that is fine too! It wont hurt them having some alone time, heck my two have alone time on the weekends too!! But i am home in the week and there to care for them, they are dogs not newborn HUMAN babies!

Keep in mind the known 'do's and Don'ts' and make your own choices!

Hot/warm weather isn't much to be concerned about, keep water at hand, shade and don't shave their coat (they use it to keep them cool in warmer weather and warm in cooler weather, shave it off and they have no control), have ice treats etc.. (I live in Australia and we have 40+ degree days and my two are fine.. and i don't have aircon)

I live in a unit (with backyard) and have two full grown Siberian huskies.. I have a lot of responsibilities and sometimes i may not get out to walk them all week, they are FAR from destructive and are extremely happy, healthy dogs! Positive thinking!

Beauty: They are beautiful and everywhere you go you'll get attention -- but with that some people will steer away from you during walks because huskies look apparently like a "coyote" to some lady here but mostly wolf like... Because of that you'll see some people look at you like you're crazy for having a "wolf" and stuff like that...

Very destructive... Since I'm away at school for a few hours a day my husky gets bored and sometimes decides to eat the wall regardless of what I spray on it. So be prepared to have potential holes in your wall, curtains/blinds broken, sofas chewed... and for outside as well -- better hide stuff...

Learn quickly: This goes both ways... They can learn tricks very quickly and it's amazing if you can get them to do it. But teach them 1 bad habit on accident and it's basically there for good. Let Jelly get on the couch ONCE and now every time I get on the couch, so does she, regardless of how many times I tell her off. ;-;.

Fur: Beautiful coats but very hectic to clean up. It seems the more hot/humid -- the more fur they shed. Even mine is inside almost all the time excluding play times and pee breaks and walks she sheds sooo much. I literally have to sweep the floor every day or else it starts piling up. I could rub her chest once and at least 20-30 hairs fall out each time. It is crazy and at times can be annoying when you're trying to eat. Be prepared to have fur in your water, food, shirt, etc. Everywhere. Not even joking. Wore a black shirt and played with Jelly and afterwards my shirt was white with black spots...

Anywho OT:

Siberians are super duper adaptable but if you are concerned like I am -- take them out early morning/late evenings. I get worried since the sidewalk is super hot her paws might heat up. My breeder sent me an article (Idk where it is though) about Siberian being adaptable. And if you could -- maybe find ways to bring your dog with you. Doggy day cares are pretty fun looking. I've never personally gone to one but i saw it at petsmart.. Dogs playing around -- sleeping -- drinking --etc.

Huskies play super rough... My Husky with a chihuahua mix = pretty creepy.

Although they're just playing it looks pretty painful -- and afterwards both of them are soaking wet with saliva... But they are just really playing. Some people won't want to play with your dog at dog parks though because of how rough they do play. At least here that's how it is.

As far as temperament I can't personally say but my friend has a male and says they give more affection than females (if you're a girl) and vice versa? Not sure if that's true but I plan on getting a male later on in life +_+ .

Good luck! :D

hello, welcome to the forum.

We all here are dedicated to huskies and their owners, and nothing is of more concern to us than the health and well being of our huskies, friends and their huskies.

let me describe my two to help with your decision...

My two are Kaiden and Parker, brothers from the same litter.

lets start with Kaiden: -

Kaiden has an extremely thick coat, which he tends to moult as and when he pleases, he is aroung the 23/24kg size, with a chunky maine :D. he is pure white, and almost 3 years old. back to his coat....when he moults it comes out in droves, mainly concentrated in one area, and then as that thins out (not that you can tell the difference) he starts in another area. we have stone floors down stairs and carpeted stairs, while moulting the 1st couple of stairs are covered, and there is a tumble weed affect around the living room when the doors are open. we call Kaiden the "Dumb one". but in reality he is the stubborn one, he has lightly motivation when training as he is not food motivated, and as much as he likes chasing balls, is rather reluctant to bring it to you.

HOWEVER, kaiden is soo loving, always wanting attention, greeting you with a Woo woo, so deep you think he is going to choke, he doesnt pull on the lead and will sit in front of you till you give him attention. he is the player, always wanting to run around playing and rough housing....which hurts...ive tried to stop him biting hard, and although when i say enough he stops immediately he does hurt when biting.

He knows certain commands, he just chooses not to do them unless there is something in it for him, extremely stubborn.

Parker on the other hand is extremely food motivated and would back flip if he could. he too moults, although because he is a more "femine" looking dog, he doesnt moult as much. Parker wines, and yelps and sort of shouts at you when he wants something, he also mouths you, no teeth and never once hurt or left any mark. however parker PULLS like a train and pulls and pulls....he is not dog agressive, but his approach to other dogs tends to have other owners avoid us as he is rather vocal, and play growls :facepalm: he is very much keep himself to himself, and on occassion will be infront of you for a fuss, he knows the routine and knows when its bed time, and dinner time :) he is the "intelligent one" although its simply the fact he is less stubborn.

to summeries, althought my two are brothers from the same litter, they could not be any more different, so us predicting how your dog will react is based on our own experiences, however, to generalise i would say

*Although most are "whats in it for me" they can be trained to do alot of things. they do not however have generic standards, where some can be easy to train and other just never willing to be trained.

*mostly high energy, some are lazy and happy to lie around all day, but mostly each and everyone will need walking, as over time they become less obident if not exercised

*they are and for the most part extremely loving, and have very stong personalities, if you had 2 identical dogs, you'd easierly know which one was your, not by training skills, but simply the way it walks, or looks at you etc.

*although hard work, they are worth it

*They can become bored easierly, and can be extremely distructive, insuring they have something to keep them entertained is important if you dont want to be replacing your sofa every couple of months lol

You just need to decide, although you will get alot out of a husky, if a husky is for you, because with their amazing personalities, and Beautiful looks comes a whole load of baggage, which can be either rewarding, or the down fall...either way you will not be alone, if like all of us have at some point, get to the breaking point of "this damn dog wont listen...help" we can help you through the difficult times of disobidience, distruction, excessive fur, and manic hypo dog.

i love my two, and now they are passing their teenage stage, and only have 2 people to listen to they are doing extremely well, minus the pulling :D

any questions just ask

wow another essay..sorry guys :D

x

Hey everyone, thanks so very much for all the great posts! Based on everything you've said so far, I guess I do have one major concern. I'm finishing up my last year of grad school, and so have probably about a year or so to raise a puppy, but after that I'll be entering the working world. That means that a dog I get might potentially be alone for a good portion of the working hours during the week day. I would try to send the dog to daycare as often as possible, but I also wouldn't want to force the dog to stay in a crate most of the day. Ideally, I'd want a dog that would be ok to move around the house freely, but it sounds like this would be a problem for an unsupervised Husky?

Hey everyone, thanks so very much for all the great posts! Based on everything you've said so far, I guess I do have one major concern. I'm finishing up my last year of grad school, and so have probably about a year or so to raise a puppy, but after that I'll be entering the working world. That means that a dog I get might potentially be alone for a good portion of the working hours during the week day. I would try to send the dog to daycare as often as possible, but I also wouldn't want to force the dog to stay in a crate most of the day. Ideally, I'd want a dog that would be ok to move around the house freely, but it sounds like this would be a problem for an unsupervised Husky?

In time, probably not a problem... most dogs adapt to their owners schedules really well. If the dog gets out in the morning to take care of business and then gets a really good walk in the afternoon and you socialize with him while you're home then the chances that he'll adapt are really good.

It just means that you have to make sure that you take the time to honor the commitment you've taken on. If you can't then it's not fair to either of you, if you can then you'll both have an enjoyable life!

We leave our husky outside her crate all day, shes only 9 months old. She is very calm for a husky though, she doesnt destroy anything or get bored. She is content with laying on the floor. We also take her to the dog park as often as possible so to run. We also give her as many toys as possible so she doesnt want to destroy anything else.

Positives of the breed:

-Very lovable, my husky is so affectionate

-Very friendly, no dog fights, friendly with people

-Never barks (good thing for me, maybe not for guard dog though lol)

-Smart

-Energetic (can be good or bad, dont buy it if you dont want energetic though)

Negatives:

-Stubborn

-Difficult to train (very difficult to house train for going the bathroom, or atleast for me)

-Sheds (a lot twice a year)

-Digs in the yard

Thats about it. I love my husky mroe than anything so the positives are much more than negatives, so much so we are considering getting another soon.

As far as temperament I can't personally say but my friend has a male and says they give more affection than females (if you're a girl) and vice versa? Not sure if that's true but I plan on getting a male later on in life +_+ .

Good luck! :D

I think that depends on the dog's personality. Suka's a male, and he's as aloof and as non-cuddly as you can get. He'd rather be left alone most of the time and doesn't play games with me. :(

(So, in other words, Suka's an old grouch. LOL)

But I guess male vs female depends on how much effort you want to put into daily dog care? I've read somewhere that females are slightly more difficult to take care of than males (urine burning grass, spaying is more expensive and if you don't spay than the heats are a pain in the butt!!). I think my next Husky will be a female, though.

Wow this post has got so negative... Let's have a few positives about the breed :)

If you can take the difficult, then you can enjoy the positives. We always try to talk someone out of a husky, because if you can do that, they should not even be considering it...especially when there is so much information on sites like this and numerous websites, clips from animal planet, etc. They are not the dogs that you see on "Snow Dogs" nor even "8 Below" as those are movie trained animals, so they can be trained, but it ain't easy. Hair, lots of love, stubborn, lots of love, aloof, lots of love, husky deaf, lots of love....houdini like escape artists, lots of love...still want one?

I agree with HuskyHijinx, and I think that many people get a husky just because of how stunning they look. I’ll admit, that is what first made me want to get a husky. After reading about their characteristics I decided that it was the kind of dog that fits my lifestyle. I wanted a dog with some personality, and that can be independent.

You should be well informed before getting a husky because too many of them end up in shelters or in homes where they are neglected. It doesn’t mean you can’t have a life, or you have to be with your dog 24/7. When I first got Nikko I felt guilty leaving him in the crate all day while I was at work, but it is for his own safety. When he gets older and more mature, I will most likely let him our while I am gone, but right now I just don’t trust him. I have gradually given him more freedom as he gets older. I am gone 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, so they are both crated during that time. The only exception is the hour at lunch that I am home.

If you are going to crate your dog during the day you will have to make sure and spend the time in the evening exercising, training, and playing. If you are the type that likes to go out after work every night then you should think twice about getting any dog. But if you are willing to give up most of your free time to devote to him, then they can be a rewarding companion.

Also, I think daycare is a great idea, I wish that I could afford it! That way when you get home from work you won’t have a hyper husky to deal with. Believe me that being in a crate all day does have some disadvantages! Nikko especially is very hyper all evening even after the 3 miles of walking we do!