Thinking of muzzling Ahsoka

NicTurtle

Some of you may recall that in December of last year my dogs had a litter each. Kessel was wonderful about the pups from the other litter, but Ahsoka killed Kessel's pup. I learned the hard way about the aggression mama dogs can have when they have their own litter. Ahsoka is not dog aggressive at all, but as you know we are bringing home an 8 week old pup in a few weeks and I'm thinking of muzzling Ahsoka the first few times she around him (under supervision of course). I doubt there will be an issue since she isn't dog aggressive and doesn't have a litter now, but I'd hate to think some instinct or hormones will kick in and make her attack him because he's a puppy in her home.

So, does anyone have a muzzle recommendation? My main plan is to keep them separated as much as possible until he's bigger and I know for sure he's safe. I'll only be allowing them together in the house with me. I'll crate the pup at night and separate them in kennels during the day if they are both outside at the same time. Does that sound reasonable?

Always a good precaution for first few meets, it will let you relax as well so will be far less stressful for you all. If she is not already, train her into wearing one and getting used to rather than just putting it on her when the pup comes. Make sure she knows it shouldn't be a bad thing that she has to wear one, basket ones are more comfortable and she can still eat/drink in it too :)