two males? would they get along

Tom Irons

hello all you husky lovers.

basically my situation is this, ive got loki a 22 month old husky/akita looks more like a husky tho with akita colourings. hes quite a big lad but dosey as anything.

20120916_172932.jpg

a5f63fd4.jpg

im really wanting another husky but my girlfriends saying that she will only let me have another husky if its a girl... she saying that shes worried to boys would fight...

but ive seem a husky i really like which is only 20 mins away from mine getting rehomed for nothing down to landlord saying they car have him. hes pure bread white husky with blue eyes just turned two in june.

but id like to know have you got two male huskys and did you have them from pups or older ages?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're more likely to encounter problems with two females. Two males, or a male and a female, are usually less trouble :P But it's always down to the individual dogs, just because they're certain genders doesn't automatically mean they will or won't get on :)

every dog is different - i have 3 in tact males aged 4, 3 and 2 - the 2 yr old Koda, we rehomed last year and he slotted in perfectly - you could get a male and female and they'd still fight - it's not the sex of the dog that determins if they'll get on - it's their personality, how they were raised, how they are looked after / trained etc x

I've had two intact males before they got on quite well until hormones came in but it wasnt just that the older male was food aggressive so whether he had been neutered or not that would have been there. I took the younger male to see him and went for a walk then took him home that day it was definately in the house we found out all his problems to which the previous owners said he didnt have. So just be careful on what they say. But with anything you can work with them just be prepared for all possibilities in taking on an older dog but i wouldnt really bring sex into it with huskies. Akitas can be same sex aggressive so be aware of that in your current dog but the husky in him may overide that :)

I now have a male and a female and the female is more of a bully!! lol but they get on really well cuddle up and play all the time no major fights my female isnt quite 6 months old yet though my male is 2.

I agree, I have heard that two females are more of an issue with Huskies, but I think it depends on the dogs. Before I got Yukon I met a few people that were wanting to rehome their husky and I brought Nikko to meet them. The first meeting did not go well at all, the other dog was very aggressive. The second meeting went better. At first it was kind of scary but then they got along, but when we were getting ready to leave the other dog snapped at Nikko. I think it was because we were on his turf. Since I have gotten Yukon they both get along together great and they are both males.

Well lets see I have 11 dogs total, 6 male, 5 female. They spend each day in the yard together and are kenneled in pairs at night (25'x10' runs) and the ONLY time I have ever had an issue with anyone is with my 2 intact males when our females go into heat, the neutered boys could care less as do the spayed females. Knowing the issue now we just separate the boys when the girls come into season and no issues :)

it depends on the dog its self not the gender, how is loki with other dogs? my husky kaiser gets on with everydog he's a big softy, so i know how he would react woth another husky around.. bring them out together let them have a sniff and a play

Meet the white husky outside, then bring your akita/husky into their house... again do the same at your house.

As long as you introduce properly and let the dogs understand not to flip and identify their triggers (if any), you should be safe. Feed both in both places carefully while other owner is present.

If the other owner says that the husky goes to dogparks, go and meet them there. You would not believe how many casees are there where the dog woners have passed responsibilities to new owners claiming that their dogs are friendly in dogparks - and they believing them, take it to the dog parks only to realize that they had no control over their new dog once it saw a crowd of it's own.

Most you might get could be food agression or competetive jelousy from the akita in your husk. Good luck :)

To be honest, I think this is a recipe for disaster. Your existing dog is an Akita cross. Akitas are well known for exhibiting same-sex aggression. We had the most good tempered, friendly, soppy Akita bitch who lived with our Sibe bitches from 12 weeks old. Then, at about 2 years old, without warning she changed and wanted to kill (literally - not fighting for pack position, but fighting to kill!) our other bitches. Malamutes are also known for same sex aggression, so you could be storing up a huge pile of problems and future vet bills. I think your girlfriend is 100% right. Find a neutered bitch to be his friend - much less potential for problems.

it depends on a number of things, probably the most influencing factor in my opinion is if they are intact (no neutered yet)

secondly the dogs personality.

we have 3 females (sibe, sibe x mal and a mal) they get along no fighting at all. the last female we fostered just didn't get along with ours.

don't forget huskies do play rough and they will have a bit of rough and tumble to see where they sit in the hierarchy.

we always took any husky we where looking after to a park near us where we don't go to introduce them all on neutral ground.

good luck

it depends on a number of things, probably the most influencing factor in my opinion is if they are intact (no neutered yet)

secondly the dogs personality.

we have 3 females (sibe, sibe x mal and a mal) they get along no fighting at all. the last female we fostered just didn't get along with ours.

don't forget huskies do play rough and they will have a bit of rough and tumble to see where they sit in the hierarchy.

I agree - the fact that neither dog is neutered makes the potential situation even more dangerous. Especially taking into account the fact that both are young dogs at the maximum testosterone stage.

With same-sex-aggressive dogs, we are not talking about "rough play" we are talking potentially about dead or seriously injured dogs. Our Akita bitch broke through two substantial fences to attack one of our sibe bitches and the resulting vet bill for both bitches came to over £1000. In addition to which, I had 30+ stitches in my arm from injuries received while separating them. The "red mist" was so strong that none of the "approved" methods for separating fighting dogs had any effect whatever and I knew that if I didn't want at least one dead dog, I had to get in amongst them and separate them physically.

Mick

[MENTION=5836]Tom Irons[/MENTION] I removed the link in your post as we don't allow links to be posted to animals for sale.

6.01 -The advertising of any animals for sale, whether directly or indirectly is strictly prohibited. This includes donations, recouping of costs etc toward the obtaining of an animal in any way shape or form

I currently have 3 male sibes and 1 female akita living at my house. the youngest sibe is only 30 weeks old, and is not neutered. the others are all altered. I have never had any issues with my males getting along. but the akita is top dog in our house. i have had akitas longer than i have had huskies, and i would not personally risk it. izzy ( the akita) was socialized out the butt when we first got her at 5 months old. had no issues until she got about 2ish, then she started to be more wary and had some da issues. thank goodness i knew the breed and we had gotten male sibes. i would be okay with the opposite sex, you just never know when the akita instinct might show up.

Exactly. We've got 5 males and 8 female Siberians (5 of the girls are neutered) and rarely have any same sex aggression from either boys or girls. The Akita was a totally different matter however, and although she was the sweetest-natured girl imaginable with people, after the age of two she suddenly wanted to kill any female dogs she came across. We had to send her back to the breeder where she now lives happily with a male.