Shampoo?

shockinblue

Honestly. I've never washed down a dog before, and I would really like to give Jack a bath, seeing as he hasn't had one since... June. I just wanted to know what people here used to give their husky(/ies) a bath. I was thinking, shampoo, (conditioner if they have those for pets), and a good brush for the scrubbing. But is there any specific type or brand I should go with?

Jack's on the fluffy end, so. :/ I'm just confused.

Any good baby shampoo will work, most adult shampoos ( and most dog shampoos, for that matter ) strip the protective oils out of a dogs fur.

Since I'm single and washing the dog has always been a one man affair, I've had to get innovative.

Obviously ( or maybe not ) it's an outdoor exercise for me. Good leash and garden hose. It starts off like this. Leash wrapped around one of my feet, tight enough that he can't pull away. One hand on the nether end ( the one where the tail is ) depending on the dogs aversion to water, I may just rest my hand there, I may hold onto some fur.

Starting at the collar area wet down a small area. (( Starting from the collar mean that any vermin [fleas, etc] are going to be trapped as you work back. )) Leave the head for last! Apply small amounts of shampoo and lather well. Working toward the rear, wet and lather until you've reached the tip of the tail. Be especially conscious of the "feathers" ( the extra long fur at the tops of their legs ) as it may not get wet enough to lather well resulting in a not clean spot. If you try to wet him down all over, I guarantee you'll have to stop him trying to shake - *constantly*!!

Once you've reached the tail, come back to the neck and wet down between the ears, lather well; wet down any of the chest you haven't already gotten and lather well. If you've been following me, you now have a real wet, soapy dog who's going to want to shake ( if he hasn't already ) as soon as you see him think about shaking off the soap and water, put your hand on his shoulders - he should stop, if not then grab a bit of fur.

Rinse well, then "lather" him without any soap - chances are good there's still going to be plenty there, rinse and "lather" until you don't raise any more suds. Leaving *any* shampoo in the fur will result in dry skin, rinse well and then rinse again!

I'm left handed so the hose is in my left hand, shampoo and scrubbing are done with my right; if I have to correct it's done with my left hand since it's "safer" to drop the hose than to waste shampoo.

As for the "How often?" I've had these two on the desert now for over a year and we haven't had a bath here yet. Avalanche gets dusty but it doesn't cling and he doesn't smell doggy (even when wet!). Basically, like most Husky's they are both clean and I see no reason to wash a clean dog.

Okay, there's a whole lot more there than you asked, but I sometimes let my verbosity get the best of me ... sorry.

Edited by Al Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty much everyone in my kennel is used to bath day, can't wait to have my own bathing station at my house....that aside we use Alpha White on the whites and E-Z Groom Premium Shampoo all over, add a couple cap fulls of Tea-Tree oil to the mixed formula for natural anti-septic and flea/tick deterrent.

We use this one off amazon and we mix in with it tea tree oil 500ml of tea tree oil

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamond-Edge-Coconut-Grooming-Shampoo/dp/B005ORDNC6/ref=sr_1_92?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1350408787&sr=1-92

we take out 500 ml then mix it together I will be honest we don't bath our sibes much unless its pre a dog show

but this stuff works great and the tea tree oil helps keep the fleas and ticks at bay

• 5 months later...

I just went through this. 

I used No More Tears for my puppy and his skin became VERY dry and flakey after one usage . After talking with the vet, she told me to never use it again and it is very bad for the natural oils on a husky and I am now using some special medicated shampoo to help get rid of the dry skin....and some other topical stuff....though the vet recommended to use dog shampoo made for dogs when he is over his current dry skin....

I've used Dawn (you know, the dish soap) on my dogs a time or two - I think the real trick is that even with all that hair, they don't need anywhere near the "normal" (or what we might consider normal) amount of soap to get them clean.  My Lab was an exception to that, for some reason her hair was really oily (might be because we lived next to the garage of the company I worked for?) I'd have to lather her a couple ( or three or four ) times to get all the oils down and get her clean.

I use baby shampoo which Balto seems to like, however, DO NOT use Hertz products. Our vet said they put something in their products that can be harmful to any animal. She said she has seen a lot of cases where people use Hertz shampoo or flea treatment that have either ended up making their animals really sick or killing them, other then that any other product should be fine but hertz is not good.

• 1 month later...

LOL  I started out using a gentle puppy shampoo from the vets,  that lasted two shampoos until I switched to one called Dirty Beastie,  for filthy dogs !  Bear seems to need a bath every week or so,  of course his love of lying down in mud and splashing in dirty puddles might have something to do with it !

I love any kind of oatmeal dog shampoo. It's gets the coat nice and soft and shiny. I also use a whitening dog shampoo as well on the white parts to keep them looking nice and clean. I think I used petsmart's brand last time and it worked great. I'm curious about this tea tree oil thing though.