Do we treat our dogs better than we treat society?

Smokey

This question comes from a little bit of personal issues :c

When I think about my dogs and my cats I think about them getting old and taking care of them through sickness, seniorness, and any other issues that may come up as we venture through life.

BUT

When I think about my parents I realize that I just wouldn't do the same for them and it angers me that I could be so apathetic toward the people who raised me and raised me well. I know how sick my mom is and I'm just not there for her as much as I should or even could be.

Do you feel the same way?

People suck. Except for my family and my few friends, of course.

I feel the same when it comes to my dog and my family. I stress over my Dad's declining health (he's 65) as much as I stress over Suka's declining health (7 years old). Maybe a little more, because he's my Dad and I've known him for longer!

But, does that make me a bad dog owner? I don't think so.

My dogs have always came before my parents. Why? because of the way my parents treat me. I was beaten with a poker and a copper stick by my mother and flogged by my father with his army belt.The only time I ever tried to hug my mother I got accused of attacking her and she had me put in to care. when they died I ended up paying for there funerals as they gave there money away to my nephew. That's why I prefer dogs to certain people...........Ron

I guess this issue isn't so black and white because it is so personal :c I'm sorry to hear of some people's stories. Just makes me feel like many of us have lost our faith in humanity and in my personal opinion no matter what you've been through you shouldn't do that...I say that knowing that I cannot possibly step into anyone else's shoes and without any ill intentions, pointing fingers or telling people what to do. It's this constant inner strife that I have with myself to be a better person and I guess it's been ingrained in me that in order to be a better person people always come first. I wish that weren't the case and I wish I didn't feel like that but I don't think I can detach myself from the feeling that I could be doing something better with my time and money than taking care of my pets :c

I guess this issue isn't so black and white because it is so personal :c I'm sorry to hear of some people's stories. Just makes me feel like many of us have lost our faith in humanity and in my personal opinion no matter what you've been through you shouldn't do that...I say that knowing that I cannot possibly step into anyone else's shoes and without any ill intentions, pointing fingers or telling people what to do. It's this constant inner strife that I have with myself to be a better person and I guess it's been ingrained in me that in order to be a better person people always come first. I wish that weren't the case and I wish I didn't feel like that but I don't think I can detach myself from the feeling that I could be doing something better with my time and money than taking care of my pets :c

That's a strange thing to say, why bother having pets if you feel like that? No offence intended.

That's a strange thing to say, why bother having pets if you feel like that? No offence intended.

LOL. No offense taken.

I guess I feel selfish because I'm so dependent emotionally on my dogs. I NEED them and I shouldn't, right? If I didn't have them I could be doing better things for society rather than focusing on myself and my doggies....

In explaining this I realized that maybe I can combine the two. Like doing therapy work or something....I dunno.

Do you kind of understand? Or is it still strange? If it's still strange, what makes you think that way? :)

I don't see one above the other and I don't want to see it like that. Truth is that our dogs wouldn't be able to live without us. If you see your family 7 days a week and suddenly skip one day, nobody will complain. (In fact, they might encourage you to do it more often :P) Where as you skip one walk with the dogs they'll immediately tell your their opinion about it. On average you'll spend more time with your dogs than your family so I understand how some feel that their dogs are more important than family. I myself wouldn't be myself without either the dogs or my family, they are both important for me.

And the society in general... I threat them how they threat animals. As simple as that.

Yes I totally treat all dogs (not just my own) better than I am ever treated. People I take with a "grain of salt" and I'm always having to deal with their bad manners and/or behaviors. I'd sooner allow a dog to sit on my couch, eat my food, and keep me company...than inviting other humans to. I rarely encounter genuine people... But animals don't fake.

LOL. No offense taken.

I guess I feel selfish because I'm so dependent emotionally on my dogs. I NEED them and I shouldn't, right? If I didn't have them I could be doing better things for society rather than focusing on myself and my doggies....

In explaining this I realized that maybe I can combine the two. Like doing therapy work or something....I dunno.

Do you kind of understand? Or is it still strange? If it's still strange, what makes you think that way? :)

To me, it's strange because most of the people I see in society (in general) around me are rude, arrogant, selfish, unpleasant & wouldn't stop to help you if you were in trouble.

I stopped one day to push a car off the slip-road of the expressway. There were 2 female occupants who looked terrified as they had broken down at a junction to a busy roundabout. I stopped my wagon & offered to push them to the side & onto the pavement so they were out of the way, out of imminent danger & to keep traffic flowing.

You know, out of roughly 20 cars that came up behind me, only one stopped to help & that was an ambulance! The rest were too interested in swerving around to get where they 'needed' to go.

Personally, there isn't much I want to do to help society, if you do, then go for it ;) . Therapy work involving your dogs sounds good & could benefit the dog/s too :), good idea. I thought about taking Deiffen to hospitals etc to help as he's so calm etc but there was so much red tape that put me off I forgot the idea.

Dunc, I agree, if you get on with your family, then you should be able to combine the 2 on an equal footing. As for me, I have had so much **** with my son & parents that I haven't spoken to them for 2 1/2 years.

Up to that point, I'd done loads for them all, taking my dad to hospital appointments about his eyes, playing taxi to airport, doing the normal 'dad' things with my son etc.

Now,to me, my dogs are everything. Deiffen was there for me when I had a deep depression caused by work (old job), I ended up suicidal. No-one understood or seemed to care. Deiffen was there with me & kept me going. He gave me hope & cuddles & helped me through it.

The people I've met off here have been genuinely nice people, as are my friends, & I go out of my way to help people I like, but my dogs are always my number one priority. My dogs are my family & as such will always come 1st.