I Know I'm Not Slim But....

Quickordead

Well hi all. My fiancee and I have just got back from a meal out at a really nice restaurant we go to on special occasions The Blue Bridge in Writtle Essex. Well I say really nice, the food was amazing as usual and the service very good, but as we were waiting for our cab we noticed a list of table numbers and descriptions next to the maitre de's ( please excuse spelling ) computer. Now I was told earlier what table we were so could see my description, and among the Oldy, Grey haired and others I was listed as "White Shirt (FAT)". Now I now I'm no slim Jim but when dining in a reasonably exclusive/expensive restaurant, ( the meal was £150 for the two of us) or anywhere for that matter you don't expect to be described as fat so the waitresses can recognise you at the bar while waiting for your table.

After questioning the front of house manager, we were told that we shouldn't have seen the list and they were sorry. So from that I gather it's ok to insult customers just as long as they don't know about it. After much discussion they offered us our money back, which I accepted, but still could not give a reasonable reason why they did this, just saying that it was how they could tell who was who at the bar and no insult was meant by it, and a promise that the system would change.

Now guys what do you think. This restaurant prides itself on its Top Table and Trip Adviser ratings. Should I take it further and slate them on these web sites or let it lie.

Yours fat and angry.

Lee

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work in a restaurant and we used a table numbering system and each chair had a number so you matched the order to the table and chair number.

We did gossip about customers but we never wrote anything down and they were never treated any differently.

We all people watch and comment on other people's clothes for example... Sometimes it's good sometimes its negative!

I would take it further but that's just me. I would write a review on the site's you mention stating your 'full' experience of visiting the restaurant including how they identify customers. I wonder how they refer to someone of ethnic origin as most widely used terms are considered racist and would potentially get them into trouble

I found this really funny. Apologies if that offends you, it's just my sense of humour.

My opinion is that if you are happy with the service you get there and the quality of the meals etc then don't let it bother you.

It wasn't meant to be seen by you and no one actually called you fat to your face.

'Excuse me fatty, your table is now ready. Sir will be pleased to see we have used the extra large plates.'

I do agree that it shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place as it is not good to encourage staff to refer to people using potentially insulting terms.

There must be a better way.

Taking offence is a personal thing though isn't it? Putting 'grey hair' or 'old', might not seem offensive, yet the person being referred to as grey or old might not like it.

Personally if someone wants to give me a £150 meal for free they can call me 'skinny, big nose' as much as they want. :)

Edited by Lightsiber

I found this really funny. Apologies if that offends you, it's just my sense of humour.

My opinion is that if you are happy with the service you get there and the quality of the meals etc then don't let it bother you.

It wasn't meant to be seen by you and no one actually called you fat to your face.

'Excuse me fatty, your table is now ready. Sir will be pleased to see we have used the extra large plates.'

I do agree that it shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place as it is not good to encourage staff to refer to people using potentially insulting terms.

There must be a better way.

Taking offence is a personal thing though isn't it? Putting 'grey hair' or 'old', might not seem offensive, yet the person being referred to as grey or old might not like it.

Personally if someone wants to give me a £150 meal for free they can call me 'skinny, big nose' as much as they want. :)

Lightsiber I don't take offence at all. As you might tell from my initial post I'm not overly bothered by this, but I did think they should't be allowed to get away with it. It did upset my fiancee though as she was the first one who saw it and now wished she hadn't and is upset for me.

Not so fat this morning and not so angry.

Lee

thats very rude!!!!!

i wouldnt take it further as they will continue to do this and whilst it isnt nice, you can see how it works with making sure people get the right orders :/

if the food is good and the service is good then id let it slip, although next time you go id wear a hawaiian shirt!!!!!!

When I was a Manager at BP (retail / Petrol station) we were told that if you get good service you will tell a few

people about it, However, If you get bad service you will tell EVERYBODY about it.

If you really want to get your revenge. . . .

I'd drop a line to your local newspaper about it. It's the sort of thing that they love to print.

That would seriously hit them in the pocket.

I would just wait until my next visit and really question them about their new system to identify people! If they havent made a change then I would report it as it has caused upset and that shouldnt happen if you are paying for a service whatever that service may be.

Yea I'm over it, as I said not to upset and got a great meal for free.

The owner phoned me earlier as well. He explained that FAT meant First Available Table, but as it was next to my name and we already had the table number it was a bit funny really.

I expect OLDIE means Only Let Die In Emergency.

Lee :confused:

Thats poor etiquette, but to be fair, you said you were pleased with the standard of the food & the service - seeing as you are returning customers, they must be doing something right! If you hadn't of seen the list, you'd never have know and you wouldn't have eaten for free ;) I'm not saying what they wrote down as a description was called for, but I wouldn't take it to heart too much nor would I take it further. Sometimes its better to see the funny side to things and avoid upsetting yourself, if you enjoy the experience at this restaurant, i'd certainly go back! After all, everyone makes mistakes, at least they did something to address their error.

Edited by Erinc

Just a point from my side (I'm guest services manager at a 4* hotel) we do chat about our guest to the point where we "bit**" about them, example - a guest complains that his steak isn't cooked how he wanted, the response to the guest being "I am very sorry sir I shall have chef cook you a fresh one" once in the kitchen it becomes "chef the turd on table 3 is spouting crap that the steak isnt right can you re-do another one? Chef says "for f**k sake" and re does the steak.

Now we probably don't have the right attitude about it but I can guarantee that each and every hotel / restaurant staff is the same lol - like I said not right but true.

On the plus side- so long as the guest has a good experience and their service was good we consider our jobs well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The bottom line is that you are a paying customer. It is your right to be treated with respect. Over it or not, I wouldn't let this go. If the company is a 'chain' I would write a letter to the corporate headquarters; if privately owned, I would write to the owner and/or manager. Praise them for the food and service, but again remind them of the problem that took place and how it made you feel. Chances are the owner or corporate have no idea this is going on. There are other ways to handle this than writting down 'personal descriptions'.

If the tables are numbered, why aren't the chairs in the bar? Why not describe you as "white shirt with tie" or "white shirt, black hair, glasses" .

By visiting the restaurant, you pay their wages. And whether you were 'supposed to see' the description or not, it's not very professional.

Just a point from my side (I'm guest services manager at a 4* hotel) we do chat about our guest to the point where we "bit**" about them, example - a guest complains that his steak isn't cooked how he wanted, the response to the guest being "I am very sorry sir I shall have chef cook you a fresh one" once in the kitchen it becomes "chef the turd on table 3 is spouting crap that the steak isnt right can you re-do another one? Chef says "for f**k sake" and re does the steak.

Now we probably don't have the right attitude about it but I can guarantee that each and every hotel / restaurant staff is the same lol - like I said not right but true.

On the plus side- so long as the guest has a good experience and their service was good we consider our jobs well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

that's exactly how it is. i've been waiting tables on the side for over a year now at a restaurant and this kind of stuff happens. i'm not trying to offend anyone at all but i would just look past it. you got a meal comped and good service you said, so really what else is there to complain about? I'm not going to lie, dealing with picky, complaining customers all day makes me talk crap about them when they're not around. And honestly, they didn't probably mean to offend you it was just how they remembered you. NOT SAYING THAT IT'S RIGHT, because it's not a nice thing to say at all, but you also have to consider they didn't plan for you to see the list. But when you did, they apologized and offered you a free 150 meal.

* would like to add i do not mean to in any way or form insinuate you are overweight. LOL. i just wanted to make that clear.

here's an example:

Last night i was waiting on these two women outside on the patio. The lady informs me that a bug just flew into her margarita. (she's sitting outside, remember) and that she needs another one free of charge of course. i smiled and took the drink and told her no problem was there anything else i can get her? i then proceed to go to the bar and tell the bartender this b*tch outside wants another drink because a bug flew into it. she had no idea i was completely annoyed with her request, and she received quality service. However, i thought she was a whiny free-loading lady. Is this right of me? Probably not. Did it happen? oh you bet you.

if she had heard me, then she would have had the right to a free meal.

honestly, i would never bash them online for one major reason. you're not punishing the hostess that made the rude comment about you on the floor chart. you're punishing all the waiters who gave you quality service. their tips will pay for it and that's truly not fair. I may sound unsympathetic, just trying to let you see the other side.

Edited by LittleLuka

The bottom line is that you are a paying customer. It is your right to be treated with respect. Over it or not, I wouldn't let this go. If the company is a 'chain' I would write a letter to the corporate headquarters; if privately owned, I would write to the owner and/or manager. Praise them for the food and service, but again remind them of the problem that took place and how it made you feel. Chances are the owner or corporate have no idea this is going on. There are other ways to handle this than writting down 'personal descriptions'.

If the tables are numbered, why aren't the chairs in the bar? Why not describe you as "white shirt with tie" or "white shirt, black hair, glasses" .

By visiting the restaurant, you pay their wages. And whether you were 'supposed to see' the description or not, it's not very professional.

it's almost impossible to number chairs in a bar. a lot of times they rotate out of the bar.

They could have used could have used acronyms. Some hotels use the term BOB meaning B*stard on Booking. There was absolutely no need to write what they did. I would definitely take it further as they sound like they need to be knocked down a peg or three. So sorry to hear that your evening was spoilt.

Yea I'm over it, as I said not to upset and got a great meal for free.

The owner phoned me earlier as well. He explained that FAT meant First Available Table, but as it was next to my name and we already had the table number it was a bit funny really.

I expect OLDIE means Only Let Die In Emergency.

Lee :confused:

I like this one also a bit discussed I get annoyed with people asking me if I want to join a gym I am like what are you trying to say lol but doesn't bother me much just find it funny to stop people in their tracks as I am petite I have no need for gym got 2 kids n dogs for that lol

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2