How To Get Started

Mobezilla

So, I really want to do some shows with Yuki. She's only 8 weeks old, so this may seem a bit early, but I want to know when I should be starting and what I can do? She might like agility, when we go to the dog park she's always trying to climb over the big ramps and she jumps over the bars for fun, and I would love to get her into it. I feel like we should start with obedience classes but I'm not sure what age we should start doing that. I already work with her on little stuff, such as having to sit when I open the door and waiting until I say its ok to go out, staying before jumping out of the car at the dog park, sitting and waiting before I put down the food bowl, etc. So my question is, how should I start? XD

So, I really want to do some shows with Yuki. She's only 8 weeks old, so this may seem a bit early, but I want to know when I should be starting and what I can do? She might like agility, when we go to the dog park she's always trying to climb over the big ramps and she jumps over the bars for fun, and I would love to get her into it. I feel like we should start with obedience classes but I'm not sure what age we should start doing that. I already work with her on little stuff, such as having to sit when I open the door and waiting until I say its ok to go out, staying before jumping out of the car at the dog park, sitting and waiting before I put down the food bowl, etc. So my question is, how should I start? XD

You can start obedience training after she's had her full vaccinations. If you are interested in showing it's never too soon to start teaching to stack, gaiting will come later. Is she from show lines?

I would offer to look more into things like bikejoring, canicross, etc where she can pull. Agility is a good way but huskies get bored rather easily, or mine does unless he wants to play fetch himself. If you think she can do agility, go on. There are huskies who do it but aren't winners (if you do decide for agility and win something in the future, I already apologise for this post :P).

With any kind of sport, be it agility or anything I still advise you to wait till she's 1 year old (teaching commands, and basic stuff is okay) just don't over work her knee joints. I heard a story from this lady, who trained her border collie for 3 years for agility and then found out her dog has dysplasia, so they were done before they even started. :(

Whatever you choose, good luck with it. :)

I don't know anything about showing or agility, but I wonder why you are taking her to the dog park at just 8 weeks old? Kind of like a human baby, you might want to protect her from strangers and their germs and aggressions until she can actually defend herself and when she's had all of her shots. Just my opinion, but she's just a barely and even just barely away from her mom.

Erm well although I appreciate the concern, you really don't know the situation. I don't have a yard for her to run in at the moment due to some, issues, that have been going on in my personal life and a recent change in address. Our dog park has both a small and a big side, and usually in the morning or afternoon there are only big dogs there if any, so we'll go on the small side so that Cloud and Yuki can run around and play, and actually get some energy out instead of being stuck in one room all day. My apologies if I seem a little 'under protective' by trying to make sure shes happy and exercised.

Erm well although I appreciate the concern, you really don't know the situation. I don't have a yard for her to run in at the moment due to some, issues, that have been going on in my personal life and a recent change in address. Our dog park has both a small and a big side, and usually in the morning or afternoon there are only big dogs there if any, so we'll go on the small side so that Cloud and Yuki can run around and play, and actually get some energy out instead of being stuck in one room all day. My apologies if I seem a little 'under protective' by trying to make sure shes happy and exercised.

HuskyHijinx was not trying to be rude, its a valid concern. Diseases are prevalent in areas that have a lot of canine traffic and your puppy has not had all of her vaccinations. Unknowingly you could be exposing your pup to deadly diseases such as Parvo (which can live on the ground for weeks). No one would wish that on you and your pup that is for sure. Exercise is great, but maybe try to find a place that has limited dog traffic since you never know what other people's dogs can be carrying.

I would suggest a good puppy class now, then obedience classes (agility dogs do need to know how to STAY! lol), and then look for an agility class when she's at least 9 months old (most agility classes won't allow dogs under 9 moths anyway). Agility is a lot of fun and at least with my girls, they really seem to enjoy it!