Hello everyone newbie here - no husky yet but information

Mrfresh13

Hi everyone my name is Shaun and looking to join the life of owning a husky , I have really done my research into the breed so far and going to see a couple of pups this weekend.

I am a very active person I am ether jogging or out on the bike off road (push bike) and is not my first dog as when I live with my parents we have a boarder collie but my only concern is the time that I will be at work and the time the dog will be alone I leave for work at 8 and come home for lunch at 1 which I'm at home for 1 hour which is time for a walk in my eyes and return home at 5.30 which I then go jogging.

This would only be 4 days of the week as my girlfriend has Wednesdays off work would this be a problem for me or the husky and would be greatfull for peoples feed back please.

I love the breed and would love to be one of the pack , I've been sleeding in Colorado twice now and would love to own such an incredible and intelligent creacher

Thanks for reading my post , Shaun

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shaun welcome to the forum. I'm no expert and only recently joined but I'm sure the guys on here will give you great advise as they have for me. As long as you can give the sib plenty of exercise before work, on lunch and when you get home it should be fine. Mine are home all day but I do at least 4 miles every evening around 6pm and before work about 2pm. Luckily my wife is home with our baby but in all fairness she is busy with the baby so can't do much with storm and she is perfectly happy. I would consider a playmate if possible as they are a pack animal and can keep each other company.we have 2 jacks and they all get on ace. Good luck and wait for the professionals to give the better advice[ATTACH]60074[/ATTACH]

post-8691-13586073727106_thumb.jpg

Hi Shaun, since you already had a dog, you'll know that the pup will need to grow up to be able to do jogging with you. Small, 8 weeks old pup will need to go outside every hour or two. Would you opt for an older dog? They would be able to be left for a couple of hours alone and very happy to go sporting right away.

If you do get a pup or even an older dog, hide everything you don't want to find destroyed later.

Hi there! Normally, it's not really advisable to leave husky's alone all day as they are pack animals and can suffer from separation anxiety, HOWEVER many of us here do have to work 9-5 jobs and our dogs are happy and used to the routine. You said you'll be home for lunch for an hour so that's great for toilet breaks, lunch, and a bit of exercise, so personally I don't think it would be too much of a problem for you. I would reccomend crate training, for both your sakes! As a chewed up house may cause offence! lol. Good luck with your research, hope it goes well. xxx

I work all day and luka is fine! However with a puppy they just can't hold their bladder that long so I had to have my bestfriend come over and let luka out multiple times a day. A rescue would be a great choice if you have no one to do this as they are usually already crate trained and can hold their bladder longer! Good luck and welcome!

Hello and welcome! I have 2 pups now and I also work during the day. I would definitely suggest crate training! I leave mine home alone from 8am until noon, and again from 1pm until 5pm and they do fine. I have done this since they were 8 weeks old without any major issues. I take them on walks in the morning, and they get a few more walks in the evening, so the fact that you can walk them at lunch too is great!

I work from 8 to 5 as well. Fortunately my OH can go home over lunch and let our pRYNcess out for a bit each day. He is self-employed, so when she was a pup, he would go home every couple hours (we live just across the road from his business) and let her out. Crate training was the best thing we could have done.

Ryn is also able to come to work with me on Friday's and I am home on Wednesdays so, she is only crated three days a week, four hours at a time.

As has already been suggested, don't over-exercise a puppy, or you will only create problems later in life.

Best of luck in your search and subsequent life with your husky.....they're just the best!

Hi @Shaun and welcome to the forum. I think much of what you need to know has been covered by previous answers, so I will just ask: whereabouts in Surrey are you? We are near Weybridge and walk our three at various local (and some not so local) places which you might like when you get a Husky, or maybe you would like to tag along (especially at the weekends) and meet several other local Husky owners?

Hi thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the pups that I'm going to see are actually at rescue centre and they have a couple of huskies there so il see at the weekend and I know about over working pups but would not work them too hard til there 6-8months at least.

still looking for the right pup at the moment but pictures will be putting pictures up when I do , thanks very for the welcome and will be interested with meeting up for some walks (mollys_dad) I'm in Crawley so not overly that far away.

I am so lucky that when I started my new job at the school,they actually worked the hours around my schedule with my dogs!! I work for 3 hours,then have a break of half an hour,then back for 1.5 hrs. I work part time at week ends too.

I find this is great and I have all morning with them to tire them out. They also have a really long evening walk and run.

I now have 3 huskies and they are very content. Once they are well exercised,they sleep like logs!:)

Welcome! :D

If you're getting a puppy (assuming ~8 weeks) I wouldn't suggest getting it now. Maybe one a little older would be best because puppies have to go very often. (Ranging from 15 minutes after drinking to 3-4 hours tops? But for me, it was usually every 1-2 hours and 15-30 minutes after breakfast/lunch/dinner etc.)

Either that or if you have someone that can take him/her out every 1-2 hours or less then it should be fine.

So yes it would be a problem if you didn't have someone to take him/her out. Sure maybe some days she/he could hold it for the 4 hours you're gone but sometimes she/he might not be able to.

I haven't had many issues keeping either of mine in their crates during the day. I got Yukon when he was 7 1/2 weeks old, and after a few days he was in his crate for 4 hours in the morning, and another 3-3 1/2 hours in the afternoon. I just make sure he doesn't drink a ton of water before I put him in his crate, and he goes right before i put him in there.

I only had a few accidents, twice when he was on boiled chicken and rice, and once when he drank a lot of water and he didn't potty right before. He also sleeps all through the night without going outside.

The general rule is 1 hour for every month in age +1. So, 2 mos old = 3 hours, 3 mos old = 4 hours, etc.

Welcome to the forum, I've not long joined myself after adopting a 5 year old boy and I'm no expert, however the fact you will be home for lunch is good, like previous commenters, many of us have 9-5 jobs and own one or more huskies. This shouldn't be a problem as long as when you are home you give him/her plenty of exercise, if you don't that's when they start being naughty and chewing on sofas digging up the garden and what have you.

Maybe you could invest in a cage for while you are away, don't lock him in straight away but leave the door open and gently encourage the pup in, let him make it his safe haven, NOT a punishment. Start closing the cage door for a few minutes at a time, just get him used to it. Then when you are at work/shopping or whatever you know he is safe and so is your house.

I would suggest at least thinking about adopting an adult, I too wanted a puppy, but the reward you get from giving an unfortunate Sibe a loving home is tenfold.

Either way, pup or adult I wish you all the best Shaun. :grouphug: