Harness

Ndure4ever

[MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION]: No I do not have a bike attachment. I honestly didn't know that that even existed :-) Can that be used in part with a non-pull harness? That is my biggest scare, especially when my wife is running with the jogging stroller and he pulls out of control or I'm on a bike and he pulls me off the road. Any advice would be welcomed!

Joe

If you want him to pull while he is on a bike use a bike attachment and teach him the proper running commands. It will make your rides a LOT safer when there is communication between you two. Id check out www.urbanmushing.com for a list of those commands. Also work with him on something other than a harness when you dont want him pulling. That way he wont become confused on when to pull and when not to. It may take professional training classes. If you never want him pulling and want complete control when out on a bike, id try something like this:

post-8127-13586073944925_thumb.jpg

http://akirchner.hubpages.com/hub/Dog-Sports-And-Dog-Running-Skijoring-Bikejoring-And-Scootering-With-Best-Youtube-Videos#

@HuskyMom09: I apologize but is a springer a brand name harness or something completely different. Pardon my ignorance :-)

Harnesses encourage pulling and can give you less control when on a bike if they don't know any commands and only on a leash or long line. The Springer is a spring that will absorb the shock of the pulling. http://www.springeramerica.com/

@Staceybob: No I do not have a bike attachment. I honestly didn't know that that even existed :-) Can that be used in part with a non-pull harness? That is my biggest scare, especially when my wife is running with the jogging stroller and he pulls out of control or I'm on a bike and he pulls me off the road. Any advice would be welcomed!

Joe

You shouldn't use a no pull harness on a bike. The attachments you can get for the side of your bike have a built in shock absorber which stops them from being able to pull you over. You should use a standard shoulder harness for running on a bike like this, otherwise known as the manmat Guard harness:

post-2703-13586073988863_thumb.jpg

And then for walking, use a front attached harness to gain more control like:

The Walk Your Dog With Love harness

post-2703-13586073989845_thumb.jpg

Happy At Heel Harness

post-2703-13586073990325_thumb.jpg

Some ideas of bike attachments that run from the side are:

The Trixie Bike Attachment (which I use)

post-2703-13586073992226_thumb.jpg

The Walkydog (I've used and think is ok but the shock isn't as good)

post-2703-1358607399258_thumb.gif

The Springer Bike Attachment

post-2703-13586073993244_thumb.jpg

Now you could use a bike attachment to allow your dog to pull from the front of the bike, but that will require training and commands. Again you can use a guard harness (shoulder harness) for pulling from the front of the bike. Some examples of attachments for the front:

The Wonder Collar Bike Antenna

post-2703-135860739937_thumb.jpg

There are others available on http://www.countryhounds.ie but then you will also require ganglines to pull from the front.

I hope this helps!

Stacey xxx

Thank you everyone! I think I will try out the Trixie bike attachment. @Staceybob: Thank you for the many examples and explanations. You've all given me a lot to choose from and things NOT to use too! I really appreciate it!

You're welcome. When you're first starting out, you need to know all of your options really so it's nice to have a variety because all of these things aren't for everyone, like I thought the walkydog was ok but not brilliant but others swear by it.

It's better to make your own choices really by looking at the designs and things. Have fun, and do wear a helmet - I had a nasty crash once and ended up in A&E lol.

Stacey xxx