Ears

Tobeahuskymom

Yes it is, sometimes it can be 'trained' to stand up but that's not always successful. It does add character, I know a full pedigree who has one an he was brilliant. Depends if you want to show. For a pet I don't think its that important personally.

Bit like too curly a tail isn't breed standard, or curling to one side

Sounds daft to add, but they all start off down. They come up after 4 weeks or so. Each puppy is individual

You should also consider that if you find a breeder who isn't concerned about breeding pups with flop ears or a tail that is too tight, there is a good chance that overall they aren't concerned with the health of the dogs they are bringing into the world. While breed standards can be use more as a reference guide than a cookie cutter, they can be a good indicator of the knowledge and care that the breeder puts into his or her kennel.

Any sib pups that you are interested in purchasing should have health tested parents and be at least 8 weeks old, even if the puppy will just be a household pet. The parents should have been cleared of hereditary diseases and be registered with CERF and either SHOR, PennHip, or OFA.

Edited by jmscott

As long as you ensure that you buy from a reputable breeder who ensures good health of the dogs e.g. hip and eye scoring, it is not too big of a problem. Kais ears were flopped downwards still at 8 weeks, however, the day i went to get him, they had stood straight up. If youre not planning on showing him apart from what you mentioned, then it isnt really a problem, they can either stand up or stay down, either way, i think theyre adorable and of course personality is always more important :) x

Totally agree with JMScott, health testing and ensuring breed quality is not just for show dogs! I strongly believe that any animal being used for breeding should be completely health and genetically screened (CERF, SHOR, OFA, etc) to ensure health of the litters produced. These breeders don't typically end up with the faults, though floppy ears can be very normal for puppies under 12 weeks old.