Feeding issues

Tyrone&charlotte

Our 11 week old pup still has not sorted out his stomach, we moved him from the kibble breeder gave us as he had the runs, he went onto plain cooked chicken breast and rice which helped a little bit was still more like a cow pat! We gradually mixed in some CSJ champ puppy but he started refusing to eat, so gradually introduced James Wellbeloved puppy turkey and rice. He has now been on this 5 days and is like a hosepipe when he poos, just pure liquid. Have been told I need to perceive for 7 to 10 days, but should I not be seeing some improvement. He has been checked by vet and is fit, healthy and not got any problems. This has been going on since we got him 3 weeks ago now. Should I change it again or keep going?:confused:

I had the same issue, Yukon had the runs, so I put him on rice and chicken for a few days and did not see improvement. I had the vet check it out and everything was OK. I ended up switching his food to Taste of the Wild and he has been doing better on it.

My vet told me that it may take a couple weeks to get sorted out. How much are you feeding him? I found that the reason my pups got the runs was because I was overfeeding them. I have Yukon on 3x per day meals of ½ cup each.

You can also try canned pumpkin to firm it up, or giving him cottage cheese or yogurt that is low fat. My vet also said I can give him Pepto or immodium if it is really bad.

i wound up having to switch Luka to a different food. We went from a grain free food to a food with only rice and oatmeal grains in it. Taste of the wild had too much protein for him. You could be having the exact opposite issue and may need to switch him to a grain free food instead like [MENTION=7184]Jason Schrader[/MENTION] suggested.

Also, i would watch how much you're feeding him as well. It's so easy to overfeed a husky as they don't eat like a normal dog.

I would never go by what the package says to feed them. Huskies do not need as much food as most breeds, so I would bet that you are overfeeding. There are some good threads on here to calculate what you need. I stick with about 2 cups per day, and adjust it according to his stools. If cutting back does not help then I would consider switching, but IMO I would cut back his food.

I also feed around 2 cups a day. When he was younger sometimes he had to have a little less and seriously if i even went 1/4 of a cup over 2 cups he had the runs. they have such sensitive stomachs. i don't even look at the package honestly. you could always try a grain free. but do take note that if you switch to a grain free you feed even less than usual.

I also feed around 2 cups a day. When he was younger sometimes he had to have a little less and seriously if i even went 1/4 of a cup over 2 cups he had the runs. they have such sensitive stomachs. i don't even look at the package honestly. you could always try a grain free. but do take note that if you switch to a grain free you feed even less than usual.

I can attest to that as well! I use a measuring cup to make sure it is exactly the same amount. I still feed Nikko Wellness so there are some grains in it, so I give him the full 2 cups.

I didn't know that you feed less with a no-grain food, that explains why I had to cut down Yukon's amount to 1 1/2 cups per day.