AKC CGC test, Take # 2

Jay

So we have taken Nikko through all of the PetSmart training classes (Puppy, Intermediate and Advanced). In the beginning of August we had our graduation from Advanced and the Canine Good Citizenship test, which he failed. In the 3 minute separation exercise he would bark and whine when we left the training room, and try to jump up on the walls. I know exactly why he failed; not because he has SA, but because he does not want to be in that training room in the middle of PetSmart, but he wants to be outside the room where all the action is! The official AKC instructions do not say he has to be in a room, just that the owner has to be out of sight for 3 minutes, but I don’t think PetSmart is going to change the way they administer the test, even though it clearly does not restrict where they can go.

Anyway, we are re-taking the test this Saturday. I do not expect him to act any differently when we are there, but hopefully we will pull it off. If not, I don’t think I am going to attempt to retake the test because it is not a huge deal for me. I just wanted him training, and it is not like we are going to use him as a therapy dog or anything.

Any suggestions/hints to pass that portion of the test?

Thanks! Overall, I did like the PetSmart training, and our trainer was pretty nice. Nikko did very well in the Puppy class, but the Intermediate class was harder, but he did well in that one too.

My suggestion, unless you want to have Luka be a therapy dog, I would skip the advanced class. The sole purpose of that one is just to take the CGC test. I did not know this when I signed up for it; I thought Nikko would learn more commands and some cool tricks.

I went with a local trainer for Yukon and we are in week 5 in that class. I do not like it as much as the PetSmart classes though. They are not as one-on-one as PetSmart, and those classes are only a half hour so not as much is covered.

Thanks! Overall, I did like the PetSmart training, and our trainer was pretty nice. Nikko did very well in the Puppy class, but the Intermediate class was harder, but he did well in that one too.

My suggestion, unless you want to have Luka be a therapy dog, I would skip the advanced class. The sole purpose of that one is just to take the CGC test. I did not know this when I signed up for it; I thought Nikko would learn more commands and some cool tricks.

I went with a local trainer for Yukon and we are in week 5 in that class. I do not like it as much as the PetSmart classes though. They are not as one-on-one as PetSmart, and those classes are only a half hour so not as much is covered.

i also lucked out, there's only 2 other dogs in our class and we go on a wednesday night so petsmart is not as busy. thanks for the advice! i'll probably skip the advanced class then. i knew we had to go as Luka jumps on everyone and i'm convinced i'm the worst dog trainer ever so i needed help haha. he also tries to bite my hands, only me though, and even though i do the ignore response and walk away or turn away from him he will not stop doing it! the trainer is helping out with that a lot.

The first day he wanted our objective and my boyfriend said "To let Luka know that everything does not ALWAYS revolve around him." HAHAHA. we'll see how that goes. ;)

Haha! Good luck with that one, Nikko thinks everything revolves around him, and he is mostly right LOL. I had the same issues with Nikko with jumping on people and mouthing. He still jumps though; I am finding that it is very hard to correct that, but he is getting better.

I had to be very diligent about training too, in addition to the classes you have to work with Luka every day for about 10 minutes at a time. I was very impressed on how fast he picked up on the commands. We had the most difficulty with “stay”. When you get to the intermediate class they have to stay for 3 minutes, which feels like an eternity!

Haha! Good luck with that one, Nikko thinks everything revolves around him, and he is mostly right LOL. I had the same issues with Nikko with jumping on people and mouthing. He still jumps though; I am finding that it is very hard to correct that, but he is getting better.

I had to be very diligent about training too, in addition to the classes you have to work with Luka every day for about 10 minutes at a time. I was very impressed on how fast he picked up on the commands. We had the most difficulty with “stay”. When you get to the intermediate class they have to stay for 3 minutes, which feels like an eternity!

lol Everything pretty much revolves around Luka as well. He knows that so sometimes he's annoying. for example if we watch tv he comes over stands in front of us and starts barking. no reason except to get our attention. the trainer said he could tell Luka just wants attention constantly. Luckily for us he's worked with multiple huskies.

yeah we've been working on the sit hand gesture and "watch me" for a few minutes twice a day. He said not to do it any longer than that or he'll get bored. i already have a feeling stay and lay down will be more difficult as Luka already knew how to sit.

lol Everything pretty much revolves around Luka as well. He knows that so sometimes he's annoying. for example if we watch tv he comes over stands in front of us and starts barking. no reason except to get our attention. the trainer said he could tell Luka just wants attention constantly. Luckily for us he's worked with multiple huskies.

yeah we've been working on the sit hand gesture and "watch me" for a few minutes twice a day. He said not to do it any longer than that or he'll get bored. i already have a feeling stay and lay down will be more difficult as Luka already knew how to sit.

Down was pretty easy for Nikko, but not so much with Yukon. It is easier to get them to stay when they are in a down position though. Do the trainers there suggest using a training collar? Ours did and the minute I put it on him he was 100% better with walking! I still use his training collar, and he knows when it is off because he will start pulling.

Also I wanted to mention in addition to the Advanced classes purpose only for taking the CGC, you also cannot use the training collar, or have any treats in the class. That was another reason I was not happy with it, because Nikko is food motivated and will only do something when he is going to get something out of it. Our trainer was not very experienced with the breed so I don't think he understood how huskies are.

Down was pretty easy for Nikko, but not so much with Yukon. It is easier to get them to stay when they are in a down position though. Do the trainers there suggest using a training collar? Ours did and the minute I put it on him he was 100% better with walking! I still use his training collar, and he knows when it is off because he will start pulling.

Also I wanted to mention in addition to the Advanced classes purpose only for taking the CGC, you also cannot use the training collar, or have any treats in the class. That was another reason I was not happy with it, because Nikko is food motivated and will only do something when he is going to get something out of it. Our trainer was not very experienced with the breed so I don't think he understood how huskies are.

no he didn't mention a training collar. is that like a pinch collar? he said he doesn't use those.

he also mentioned that most dogs are very food motivated and recommends treats. yeah, i'm glad he is used to huskies. the other trainer that works there actually owns one so the whole facility seems familiar with them. we had about a million people come and stare at luka like he's some exotic animal though while we were in the class. guess there's not that many huskies down here in mississippi. haha

Yeah, the pinch collars is what he suggested, but when I went to a different PetSmart in the area and talked to the trainer there she doesn’t use those either.

That’s good that they are familiar with the breed. My trainer has a golden retriever and another family in the class had 2 golden’s that were Nikko’s age. I think he based his training on that breed, and did not understand that Nikko doesn’t really care about praise and he is not as eager to please as the golden’s are.

That’s funny you say that everyone stares at Luka, because we had the same reaction from people checking Nikko out. It is so funny when we walk in the store now because Nikko will announce that he has arrived very loudly! And he won’t stop until he has everyone’s attention. It is kind of embarrassing LOL. But they all know him by name. I don’t really see too many Huskies here either.

Yeah, the pinch collars is what he suggested, but when I went to a different PetSmart in the area and talked to the trainer there she doesn’t use those either.

That’s good that they are familiar with the breed. My trainer has a golden retriever and another family in the class had 2 golden’s that were Nikko’s age. I think he based his training on that breed, and did not understand that Nikko doesn’t really care about praise and he is not as eager to please as the golden’s are.

That’s funny you say that everyone stares at Luka, because we had the same reaction from people checking Nikko out. It is so funny when we walk in the store now because Nikko will announce that he has arrived very loudly! And he won’t stop until he has everyone’s attention. It is kind of embarrassing LOL. But they all know him by name. I don’t really see too many Huskies here either.

last week luka howled throughout the entire class when the trainer focused on another dog. so embarrassing. :redface1:

• 2 weeks later...

He was a good boy! The trainers did adjust some of the ways that they administer the test after talking to members of the AKC, so that helped. I think his age had a lot to do with it as well, and the fact that we have been working with him more.