sudden fear of children

BingBlaze n Skyla

Skyla is hating kids stroking her atm

I understand her not wanting to be stroked by kids on scooters as she hates them and these two little boys who always stroke the dogs had bags the other day n she didn't want to be stroked by them

Now she seems to be trying to avoid any kids that want to stroke her she proper panics and does her very best to try and slip her collar to get away from them

Could it be the scooter and bag thing she's remembering??

I'm worried now as she's never had a bad experience n meets kids every day every1 strokes the dogs

Not quite sure why or what to do?any ideas?

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd make the kids attractive to her. Show Skyla a treat but instead of you giving it to her, give it to kids and let them feed it to her. Or one kid stroking other giving her the treats, and later just postpone the treat so that the stroking comes first.

Could be a kid unknowingly did something to her. :/

I'll have 2 give that a go if she carries on , these kids have known her for months they know their names n everything see them near enough every day so I'm not sure why she's got a sudden fear

I hate that when I tell them she doesn't want to be stroked they ignore me (the girls today listened ) but yesterday she got so scared near a road as a van was coming they are lucky she was on a short lead so I could pull her back towards me b4 the van went past :-S I dread to think

Interesting. Is it all kids? If these same boys were to walk up....not on scooters does she do the same thing?

The boys weren't on scooters they normally stroke her then the other day they got off the bus with big shopping bags and she didn't wanna be stroked n she hasn't wanted to be stroked by them since

It's ok

I hope so we live right next to a school and my mum works at another school so I walk up there with one ov the dogs so see kids constantly , she's ok with older kids like secondary school kids just seems like it's younger Ones she is suddenly having a problem with I'm gonna keep an eye on her n see if it's all kids or just these select few

So strange! Does she still respond to your commands at least or is everything out the window / do anything to get away. You'll definitely have to let us know how she does over the next few days.

She sat when I told her to but then started to panic again

She got stroked this morning by a girl we know n was fine n went to say hello to another little girl but didn't get stroked by her so I've gotta try n work out what's freaking her out the most lol

She gets walked again later at 3 on her own near 2 schools as the kids are coming out so I'll see how she goes then

That happened with my Juneau. We were in Petsmart and a kid on those roller-shoes flew around the corner and slammed into her, she was 5 months old. The kid apologized but since then she hasn't trusted kids. It got better with time as we had more positive child interactions, but it took us a while since we don't have a lot of kids around.

Hey Nix....how did it go?

We didn't see any today :-( we left earlier then we normally do so by time I got home the kids had just started coming out ov school n I didn't wanna be standing around like a weirdo specially as she's impatient too lol

I'll call that a successful night at least. :D I really hope its just a temporary thing or maybe she's just not be in the mood to deal with kids the last couple times you had issues.

Lol always nice to be allowed a nice peaceful kid free walk lol

Hopefully she just cba atm n will be ok soon

I feel stupid asking this but is "scooter" that old motorcycle Peter Parker use in the first Spiderman? That thing might be annoyingly loud and dogs don't like loud noises. Could the scooter be the one Skyla fears?

[ATTACH]60325[/ATTACH] the scooter is deffo a fear for her but the boys she's scared ov have never been on a scooter around her

She was stroked today by a little girl then literally right after these two boys wanted to stroke her n she panicked again :-S

post-95-1358607416027_thumb.jpg

When Ryn exhibits "out of character" reactions, I've found that it's best to just let her sit back and watch the kids for a bit. Sometimes that's all she needs.

In other cases, I just start over with exposing her to the situation again. Don't allow Skyla to make her own rules with the kids, as to which ones can stroke her and which ones can't.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update she's much better lately we've only had 2 issues one was from a couple ov girls but she then approached them in her own time whilst they were stroking the boys n let them stroke her too

And the 2 African boys she's still not keen on they have left her alone for a while and asked yesterday if she was ok now or not I said I wasn't sure n he held his hand out to her n she backed off so still abit more time is needed but she seems better then before any other kids that have stroked her she's been fine with :-)

Is it just two kids inpaticular she has problems with? Or has more problems with?

It Seems she has more problems with these two,.

She still isn't keen on most kids some she's fine with no problem at all others she's not so keen on these 2 she just does not want to be fussed by

It Seems she has more problems with these two,.

She still isn't keen on most kids some she's fine with no problem at all others she's not so keen on these 2 she just does not want to be fussed by

Did they have any time alone with her, or access to her when you werent around?