What hand do you use to walk your dog?

Elyse

What hand do you use to hold the leash while walking? And WHY?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What hand do you use to hold the leash while walking? And WHY?

• Left
    • Right
    • Both hands (or no hands!)

I've always wondered this. When I walk Suka, I always see people holding their dog's leash with their left hand.

I always walk Suka on my right hand side - so my right hand is holding the leash. I feel that's the opposite way you're supposed to do it, since I see otherwise!

I walk him on my right because I feel I have better control (he still 'jerk pulls', though not as often), and it just feels....odd...when his leash is in my left hand. Even when I first started out when I got him.

So, which hand do you hold your dog's leash in? Right? Left? ( or Both hands!? lol) And Why?

On another note, I find it odd that most people I've seen hold the leash with their left. But, statistically, 95%+ of the population is right handed! So...why would you hold the leash with your weaker hand....?

Edited by SolitaryHowl

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually hold the leads with my right hand but the dogs on my left and use my left hand for controlling them. The loops of the lead are round my right wrist. I do the same even when I use the walking belt I have the leads loosely in my left hand. Most of the time.

I walk mine on the left for three reasons. Firstly, I tend to walk on the left side of the road (drivers instinct) and this puts me between the dog and the traffic. Secondly, most of ours are shown and in the showring they are usually moved with the dog on the left side of the exhibitor. Thirdly, although I'm right handed, I've been walking dogs for so long on the left that anything else feels "wrong" and unbalanced.

There's probably some historical reason as well - If you have your dog on your left, you can still use your swordhand to fight off any footpads or highwaymen????????;)

Mick

Lead loop round right wrist and controlled with left hand. Or ahead on a walking belt lol

Incidentally, I carried my children on my left hip and prefer babies in the crook of my left arm. Much more comfy :) I'm right handed but my left was stronger up until the mono neuritis multiplex