Osinn11

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay...honesty we go. I'll be soft...

Great attempt, but there are some things that can be changed.

Let's start with the biggest thing. You have too many effects/backgrounds going on in there. You want the signature to be about the dog, right? But, right now, my eye is too distracted from everything else happening to focus on the dog. I look at it for 2 seconds, then my eye wanders to look at other things in the picture.

I mentioned in another thread that simplicity is sometimes best. For example, my current 'temporary' signature. It's my favourite signature I have made, ever. It took me only 5-10 minutes to make, and there are very few effects on it:

A new font (with a simple effect. I forget the name, but I use it all the time in Photoshop.), some fading of the edges of the fur, and a transparent background.

That's it.

You see how everything seems to tie in and complement each other, and your eye isn't distracted from the main focus of the image....his eyes? That's because there isn't much going on in the image, so your eyes are free to focus on one particular subject. They don't wander (or nearly as much.)

I understand you want to make a haloween signature, and that's great, but you can do that without adding too much distraction, elements, or effects.

Now, colour is good, but when it is used too much or when there are too many contrasting colours (blue and orange, purple and orange, green and red,...to name a few) it distracts the eye and takes away from the image. It can also irritate the eye if used in large quantities, though my eyes are fine when I look at your image. lol

If you want, you can send me the pictures you used and I'll show you a sample of what a better signature layout might look like. :)

I'll have to agree with the previous comments and *I* have to add one of my own.

I like a good sig block; wish *I* had one! But - in my humble opinion we have some that are getting way too large. I like my dogs, and with the way Avalanche behaved yesterday I'm really proud of him. But putting up a sig block that's consistently bigger than my messages would offend my sensibilities.

I love [MENTION=3404]SolitaryHowl[/MENTION] !!!

Thanks Al. I know what your saying.

Maybe I'll make another small but simple attempt tonight. :D

My current one is 600 x 300 pixels, if that helps. Usually, a signature that longer than it is taller not only looks better, but its easier when scrolling down through posts.

I used to make signatures all the time that were 400 px by 150-200 px. That's a good size, IMO. Maybe a little bit bigger; depending what the signature size limits are.

[MENTION=7158]Staff[/MENTION]

What are the sig size limits?

My current one is 600 x 300 pixels, if that helps. Usually, a signature that longer than it is taller not only looks better, but its easier when scrolling down through posts.

I used to make signatures all the time that were 400 px by 150-200 px. That's a good size, IMO. Maybe a little bit bigger; depending what the signature size limits are.

@Staff

What are the sig size limits?

I asked [MENTION=1]Marc[/MENTION] one day - and if I remember his response was "2 meg" (( ouch!!! ))

Okay...honesty we go. I'll be soft...

Great attempt, but there are some things that can be changed.

If you want, you can send me the pictures you used and I'll show you a sample of what a better signature layout might look like. :)

I've got quite a few pics in the photo section threads. Feel free to have a go with any of them. :D

There's no specific size limit I know of. Just don't have it "too big" that it becomes more prominent that the actual post you're writing. In the past we had a hard limit on signature fields so they clipped off when it got bigger than 250 or 300px (not sure what the limit was). We might bring it back in the future so it's recommended to keep your signature below that height. And that's the ENTIRE signature block, not just the image but also all the pitapata blocks, texts and links etc. I can tell you many are currently exceeding that size right now.

There's no specific size limit I know of. Just don't have it "too big" that it becomes more prominent that the actual post you're writing. In the past we had a hard limit on signature fields so they clipped off when it got bigger than 250 or 300px (not sure what the limit was). We might bring it back in the future so it's recommended to keep your signature below that height. And that's the ENTIRE signature block, not just the image but also all the pitapata blocks, texts and links etc. I can tell you many are currently exceeding that size right now.

LOL mostly my fault I kind of got a bit carried away recently.

[MENTION=7782]Osinn11[/MENTION] Ed I have to agree with Elyse, way too busy, and the words drag the eye away from the husky.

My sig is 'Busy' but the eye is always drawn to the dogs.

:D [MENTION=1354]Andy[/MENTION] well your sigs are awesome! it's been years since I last attempted anuthing like this....had a couple programs on my compooter...thought I'd have some fun. Next attempt I will "tone" down a little bit!

To ALL: Let me ask this? Is it the text and fonts that making it was to busy...or is it just everythig is a mess? Ha ha ha! :groan:

:D @Andy well your sigs are awesome! it's been years since I last attempted anuthing like this....had a couple programs on my compooter...thought I'd have some fun. Next attempt I will "tone" down a little bit!

To ALL: Let me ask this? Is it the text and fonts that making it was to busy...or is it just everythig is a mess? Ha ha ha! :groan:

For me, it's mostly the background...but the text is distracting also. Try to use only one effect and only one font type (you can change sizes, though) throughout your whole signature. It'll help. :)

For me, it's mostly the background...but the text is distracting also. Try to use only one effect and only one font type (you can change sizes, though) throughout your whole signature. It'll help. :)

Gotcha! I couldn't decide on one font type of effect so I added them all! :woohoo:

Thanks! Stay tuned we'll see how it goes! (note to self - stay focused, stay away from the effects!) LOL

Question for those of you who do this type of thing and don't mind sharing. What program are you using?

:D

Edited by Osinn11

Actually [MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION] is correct. There is a limitation of 2mb per image which is a limit I have set on the server itself as apposed to the software which is why Jos had not seen it. This is imposed as with the amount of images that are uploaded to the site there has to be limits in place to stop it getting out of control with regards to file space.