My wife took another wall mounter!

Its_A_Husky_Thing

I'm very curious... At first I must admit I thought it was wrong, but after reading the other posts I find myself rather intrigued. I know it sounds silly but I have only seen hunter lodges on tv with animal heads mounted on the wall and didn't think people actually did it. Could you post a pic of it when it's mounted please?

I'm not very good with my food, and haven't even tried, for want of a better word 'normal' meats (only started eating chicken this year) so I know I wouldn't cope with killing my food. I guess it doesn't effect you? Do you need to hunt so you have the food or do you hunt because you enjoy it? And What do you mean 9 pointer with 17 1/2" inside spread?

Sorry lots of questions but hunting can be a very touchy subject and I have never botherd with it before, each to their own, but as I have the opportunity to ask I thought I would :) hope you don't mind. Amy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very curious... At first I must admit I thought it was wrong, but after reading the other posts I find myself rather intrigued. I know it sounds silly but I have only seen hunter lodges on tv with animal heads mounted on the wall and didn't think people actually did it. Could you post a pic of it when it's mounted please?

I'm not very good with my food, and haven't even tried, for want of a better word 'normal' meats (only started eating chicken this year) so I know I wouldn't cope with killing my food. I guess it doesn't effect you? Do you need to hunt so you have the food or do you hunt because you enjoy it? And What do you mean 9 pointer with 17 1/2" inside spread?

Sorry lots of questions but hunting can be a very touchy subject and I have never botherd with it before, each to their own, but as I have the opportunity to ask I thought I would :) hope you don't mind. Amy

Most people down here where I'm from hunt because they enjoy it but also you don't really go buy venison (deer meat) from a grocery store lol.

It has a slightly more gamey taste than cow but I've grown up eating it so its one if the reasons I look forward to fall.

We have a cabin in Arkansas with multiple deer mounted.

Like Kyle said I would never think it offended anyone really simply because its SO common here.

Just so you know though there are specific hunting seasons for different animals to prevent extinction of animals.

We have TONS of deer around and it helps local farmers when people hunt to prevent them from eating their crops.

I own an air rifle and do target shooting but I hunt as well but only for food (Rabbits). Hunting is classed as a sport in most countries. Well done on your Stag :up:.............Ron

here is a picture of my air rifle. Brocock Contour .177

PICT0423.jpg

Edited by Ron Tao&Sky

Most people down here where I'm from hunt because they enjoy it but also you don't really go buy venison (deer meat) from a grocery store lol.

It has a slightly more gamey taste than cow but I've grown up eating it so its one if the reasons I look forward to fall.

We have a cabin in Arkansas with multiple deer mounted.

Like Kyle said I would never think it offended anyone really simply because its SO common here.

That is probably the problem most people buy their meat from the supermarket and don't give a second thought to where it came from. There are a lot of people that moan about hunting and how it is wrong, I never really understood it at the end of the day we are all part of the food chain!

Just so you know though there are specific hunting seasons for different animals to prevent extinction of animals.

We have TONS of deer around and it helps local farmers when people hunt to prevent them from eating their crops.

This is really good, from the sounds of it hunting in this way is better then how we breed cows to send them to the slaughterhouse. Thank you for educating me :)

wow congrats to your wife i used to go hunting with my dad as a kid we mainly used to shoot rabbits pheasent and wood pigeon i actually really miss it xx

That is probably the problem most people buy their meat from the supermarket and don't give a second thought to where it came from. There are a lot of people that moan about hunting and how it is wrong, I never really understood it at the end of the day we are all part of the food chain!

This is really good, from the sounds of it hunting in this way is better then how we breed cows to send them to the slaughterhouse. Thank you for educating me :)

Not sure i would eat meat if i had to skin it and gut it, i find it strange doing that to fish...lol buying all our meat from supermarkets i dont even think about the living version.

Thanks all!

She shoots a Diamond by Bowtech, and i shoot a Martin Exile. No we didnt give our boys any scraps, i thought about it but she didnt really like the idea...but they did steal a couple out of the scrap bucket lol. They did like licking licking up the blood though. And no, we dont take them along as you have to be quiet and still for 2-3hrs.

I apologize about no warning on the pics, didnt think about it because its so common around here.

ha ha 2-3 hours sitting still...my boys would be jumpping jacks....not to mention myself :facepalm:

i forget about other peoples way of life, when your surrounded by a way of living other peoples seems strange, its good to learn about it though...the only picture i didnt like was the one with its tongue out...if you popped it back in it might not of had the same...ahhh poor thing affect LOL...

dont know if i would be able to handle an image of a dead bear though, i was under the impression that it was something they were trying to stop....again being a bit nieve, are there loads of bears where you live, and is the hunting season still in place so to keep the population from being over populated?

:D...i think i need to travel more :redface1:

Lol, i understand that is not something everyone does and thats fine. I dont mind answering and questions about it.

All the mounts you see in hunting cabins on tv were live animals at one time. We dont NEED the meat, as we could go to the grocery store and buy beef, but like stated deer meat (venison) tastes different and as many of us, think it tastes better then beef.

Like Alexandra, there are seasons that only last so long to hunt certain animals. We cant go out whenever we want and shoot anything. Deer and Bear season is going on right now up by us. Which both are in the plenty, and as stated all seasons are regulated to make sure not too many are killed to hurt the population of them.

The only season im still up in the air about is the new Wolf season that is opening up next year for our state. We have around 800 in the state, all coming down from Canada...more and more farmers are complaining their livestock are being killed from them. So they decided to open a season next year, only allowing certain areas of the state to be hunted and only 200 wolfs can be taken. I know they cause havoc, and arent afraid of really anything...but since all our boys look so much like them...it kinda is like ugh lol.

Here is my wifes mount from last year, with an explainatin for Thistle what the inside spread and points are...

post-8228-13586074163318_thumb.jpg

Wolves are taking ranchers livestock, and so are being killed. However, not many are using natural ways to fend off the pack, so when one pack is exterminated, another takes its place. A lot of people are trying to get together programs up there that would allow trained LGDs to be placed on the farms. A 5 dog pack of 120lb CAS will turn away most predators. The dogs are used a lot down here where we have coydogs getting to the size of wolves but without the natural fear of humans.

I am very impressed with your wife's bowmanship. My elder son is an archer and when younger competed in the London Youth Games and I used to spend many an evening and weekend waiting while he practised or competed. Archery is a high precision technical sport and from trying it myself is not easy. I think that an animal being killed for food in its natural habitat has got to be kinder than animals that never see the natural light of day or have the opportunity to naturally forage for themselves and are factory farmed, transported great distances to abattoirs to be pts. Killing bucks is a form of culling and it is kinder to kill off older stock than let them starve to death in the winter months. Are you allowed to shoot hinds?

Lol, i understand that is not something everyone does and thats fine. I dont mind answering and questions about it.

All the mounts you see in hunting cabins on tv were live animals at one time. We dont NEED the meat, as we could go to the grocery store and buy beef, but like stated deer meat (venison) tastes different and as many of us, think it tastes better then beef.

Like Alexandra, there are seasons that only last so long to hunt certain animals. We cant go out whenever we want and shoot anything. Deer and Bear season is going on right now up by us. Which both are in the plenty, and as stated all seasons are regulated to make sure not too many are killed to hurt the population of them.

The only season im still up in the air about is the new Wolf season that is opening up next year for our state. We have around 800 in the state, all coming down from Canada...more and more farmers are complaining their livestock are being killed from them. So they decided to open a season next year, only allowing certain areas of the state to be hunted and only 200 wolfs can be taken. I know they cause havoc, and arent afraid of really anything...but since all our boys look so much like them...it kinda is like ugh lol.

Here is my wifes mount from last year, with an explainatin for Thistle what the inside spread and points are...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60331[/ATTACH]

Thank you for this. I find it very interesting to learn about new things and to get other people's opinions on things :)

My boys ttook part in the national junior archery competition when they were 9 and 14. It was a great day.

With what it costs us to buy meat for 6 adults daily with up to 10-12 at weekends, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to fill my freezer for nothing more than my time, patience, skill and nerve. Well done mrs Kyle :)