Going to meet other husky owners! Golden Horseshoe (Canada) region!

Elyse

As some of you may or may not know, I set up a page and a group for husky owners in my area. The page has around 105 likes, I think, and the group has about 15 members.

I finally got around to organizing another meet, had to work up the courage because my other previous 2 attempts failed miserably. This time, we're going for a hike as a first meet-up instead of going to the dog park. The hike is kinda short, only 3 km I think...but we could always go for longer.

I have some concerns though.

1. Suka is leash-aggressive. When he sees other dogs on walks, he gets very growly/snarly...and pulls at his leash. Especially when the other dog postures back. How do I avoid this? Do I not allow him to mark at all before we start hiking and during?

It's too late to start him on a training program now, as I'm away from university and I'm only going to be home for a week at the end of October(when the meet is taking place). I obviously have to warn everyone, but I don't want people not liking me or my dog cause Suka acts like a jerk while on leash!!

2. To those who have organized hikes before...did you set up any rules? We already picked a location, but the exact times are still up for debate.

3. I'm excited, but also really nervous. I've never done anything like this before, so what if I mess up...or Suka goes at another dog...or there's a dog fight...or somebody gets hurt...

4. Should I bring along a friend for security? There will be at least 2 other people there besides me, but I don't want to seem like a paranoid person if I bring along a friend. Besides, none of my friends have any interests in dogs! Argh!

Hope whatever happens works out! Some part answers...

my other previous 2 attempts failed miserably

Been there to various extents. Keep at it. When people moan that there are no meets in their area, point out the meets that are organised...

1. Suka is leash-aggressive. When he sees other dogs on walks, he gets very growly/snarly...and pulls at his leash. Especially when the other dog postures back. How do I avoid this? Do I not allow him to mark at all before we start hiking and during?

I have heard of dogs on this forum who don't react well to meeting other Huskies / dogs but are ok when off lead.

I obviously have to warn everyone, but I don't want people not liking me or my dog cause Suka acts like a jerk while on leash!!

Warn them! It is then their call...

2. To those who have organized hikes before...did you set up any rules? We already picked a location, but the exact times are still up for debate.

Didn't set up any rules, but did set up a meet time *well in advance* on one occaision, so taking into account traffic conditions is one thing, but turning up close to two hours late...?

Where we go most frequently nowadays, we start off with an off-lead area. A great place to play / bounce etc but gives some flexibility as to the start of the actual walk. We generally go back to the play area afterwards as well. No idea if that could fit into your plans / location?

Hope whatever happens works out! Some part answers...

Been there to various extents. Keep at it. When people moan that there are no meets in their area, point out the meets that are organised...

I have heard of dogs on this forum who don't react well to meeting other Huskies / dogs but are ok when off lead.

Warn them! It is then their call...

Didn't set up any rules, but did set up a meet time *well in advance* on one occaision, so taking into account traffic conditions is one thing, but turning up close to two hours late...?

Where we go most frequently nowadays, we start off with an off-lead area. A great place to play / bounce etc but gives some flexibility as to the start of the actual walk. We generally go back to the play area afterwards as well. No idea if that could fit into your plans / location?

I LIKE that idea! So, we could do both a hike and the dog park! So, the hike first and then the dog park? Or the other way around?

Going to have to see if that trail has a dog park closeby.

I LIKE that idea! So, we could do both a hike and the dog park! So, the hike first and then the dog park? Or the other way around?

Going to have to see if that trail has a dog park closeby.

I have no idea what is available in your area, but it works for us! (Park then hike) Gill (Biggles on here) introduced us to Bedfont Lakes (there are some pics towards the end of the thread) which I knew of as a 'country park', but not as a dog walking area. And then we found that it has an off lead area (as Husky / Mal owners, you know what I mean here - PLAY TIME!)

We find that a play *before* the walk lets the dogs let off steam before the walk, making the walk less fractious, and also allows some flexibility in the meeting time. It can work better than arranging to meet *somewhere* and then standing around until enough others arrive / setting off and hoping they will catch up. We often go back to the off lead area for a short 'bounce' to burn off some more energy before loading them back in the car.

It would be great if there was something like this in your area! Well worth the drive if you need to go a bit further out