Escaping the Kitchen while at work

Roper1982

Well it seems like Togo and Maya have realised that if they work together, they can escape the kitchen... Basically I dont have a door between Kitchen and Living room (just an archway) and when i go out, they get put in the kitchen and an open cage is places in the doorway to fill the gap and I have a babygate half way up the wall, which stops them jumping over the cage.. For like 15months this has worked... But the last few days I have come home to find them laying on the sofa, so Today i pretended to go out but kept a sneaky look at them, and by pushing together in one corner, they can make a gap between cage and wall, only a small one but they both squeeze through. Teamwork... DOH!!!!

Now i have the dilema of do I even try and keep them in the kitchen when i go to work now, seen as though they are escaping very quickly... Problem being, previously when they escaped the kitchen (3 months ago was the last time) I came home and had a sofa cushion shredded and spread across the front room... But the last 3 days that they have been escaping, they have not touched anything at all, nothing has been damamged... Argh.... haha

Oh boy - the dreaded teamwork :rofl: I don't know what to suggest other than to put up a permanent gate in the arch - not sure if it will work in your house. We have a gate in our passage to keep the huskies out of the bedrooms. Not the prettiest solution, but it works :rolleyes:

post-1262-13586074218943_thumb.jpg

post-1262-13586074218292_thumb.jpg

I have more babygates around the house like on stairs etc... But this is just an awkward position, as the main telephone connector is just on the kitchen wall, and it has a wire mesh and wooden board over it (learnt my lesson when they chewed through it about a year ago) But to have a babygate in replace of the cage is going to be awkward as i will have to sacrifice the board protecting the telephone connection.

I tried barricading the cage with some stuff on the living room side, but working together they managed to nudge it a couple inches and thats all they needed, once they had a sniff of a gap I had no chance...

Hmmmmn. Not sure what to suggest. Have you got the space for and considered crate training? Or maybe fitting a folding door to the archway? Dog gates are taller than baby gates usually but as they can reach through the bars and chew your cords up, that's not the best solution me thinks.

post-6035-13586074222022_thumb.jpg

This is an oldish picture and doesnt show any of my barricading i put in place to stop them pushing cage back (which has worked for 15months) and I know the cushion is kind of blocking the board i have in place but you can still kind of see it against the far wall protecting the phone line... Im just going to have to try barricading the cage against the archway a little more...

Is there something really heavy you could place inside the crate to weigh it down more? I have no idea what.......a shed load of bricks? lol. If it helps, I know your pain. Bear chewed the cr** out of my leather sofa one day when we were at work. Thankfully a babygate alone was enough to stop her repeating the act. Ice is crated as he'd destroy the entire house within minutes, he's like a tornadeo never seen anything like it, total devastation within a few minutes?!!