Urine marking question....

soupydoopy

Hello!

I'm new here, this is my first post..... I'm going to be a first-time husky owner in about 2 more weeks--he's a little boy I've named Aries. I'm very excited, but a lot of the little details make me a little nervous. I'm hoping that I can get a lot of help/advice on this forum to put me more at ease. My question is about male huskies marking their territory.

I have two guinea pigs. I am not terribly concerned about Aries with them since he's going to be young enough that I can get them accustomed to one another. That and my guinea pigs are a bit older, so they've only got about a year or maybe two left in them (so this might not be an issue shortly down the road...).

Here's my concern: I usually get my guinea pigs out for a playtime in a fenced-in area, on a rubber-backed rug. Since guinea pigs typically can't be potty trained, they do urinate on it with some frequency.

I know that dogs tend to mark over top of the urine of other dogs, but do they also mark over the scent of other animal's urine? If he does, it will become problematic in regards to his potty training.

I'm just trying to come up with an easy solution in advance of bringing him home. I was just hoping someone else here had a similar situation with which they could give me some insight.

Thank you so much, everyone. :)

Not sure if they mark over other animals urine tbh but you could just get a dog gate and restrict access to that room tbh that's probably safer for your guinea pigs anyway from day one when we got blaze he wanted my gerbils nothing would have made him not want to eat them I don't think so was always separated till my gerbils passed on

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Hello!

I'm new here, this is my first post..... I'm going to be a first-time husky owner in about 2 more weeks--he's a little boy I've named Aries. I'm very excited, but a lot of the little details make me a little nervous. I'm hoping that I can get a lot of help/advice on this forum to put me more at ease. My question is about male huskies marking their territory.

I have two guinea pigs. I am not terribly concerned about Aries with them since he's going to be young enough that I can get them accustomed to one another. That and my guinea pigs are a bit older, so they've only got about a year or maybe two left in them (so this might not be an issue shortly down the road...).

Here's my concern: I usually get my guinea pigs out for a playtime in a fenced-in area, on a rubber-backed rug. Since guinea pigs typically can't be potty trained, they do urinate on it with some frequency.

I know that dogs tend to mark over top of the urine of other dogs, but do they also mark over the scent of other animal's urine? If he does, it will become problematic in regards to his potty training.

I'm just trying to come up with an easy solution in advance of bringing him home. I was just hoping someone else here had a similar situation with which they could give me some insight.

Thank you so much, everyone. :)

As far as I know, dogs only mark ontop of other dogs' urine. But, I've never seen a different animal pee and then see Suka pee ontop of it, so I don't know.

They might just smell the pee and then try to follow it to its source. Just be careful - huskies have high prey drives.

I believe the whole 'cocking leg' thing doesn't happen until the dog is a bit older (6-8 months?) when the testosterone hormones really start to kick in.