Name on tag or not?

MollynDiesel

Do you have your dogs name on their tag?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have your dogs name on their tag?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but was thinking about it

So at work today i got asked to make a few tags for various customers with dogs and quite and every single person asked for their dogs name on the front of the tag (ofcourse it looks pretty) I told them i dont advise putting their dogs name on the tag just incase someone doesn't want to give it back and that a phone number, postcode and I AM CHIPPED (if they are chipped) is normally safer... I dont have my dogs names on their tags either but it got me thinking, does anyone on here have their dogs name on their tag? (not here to share horror stories or say its really bad to do it, i'm just curious)

So please answer in the poll if you do or don't please :)

As i have stated, i dont what else you have on it. its just a simple yes, no question :)

Ofcourse you are allowed to debate but if it begins to get rude or offensive i will get staff to delete the comments. You have been warned! :P

Edited by Molly'n'Diesel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. They have a 'I am chipped' tag, not their names. I don't quite see what extra security it gives though. If you name a dog different long enough I don't see why he/she wouldn't start responding to it after a while.

Actually, maybe putting their names on it isn't so bad after all. Once I see someone selling a dog with the name Glala I can be pretty sure that's her :lolman:

Nope. They have a 'I am chipped' tag, not their names. I don't quite see what extra security it gives though. If you name a dog different long enough I don't see why he/she wouldn't start responding to it after a while.

Actually, maybe putting their names on it isn't so bad after all. Once I see someone selling a dog with the name Glala I can be pretty sure that's her :lolman:

With a unique name like that i'm sure she's 1 of a kind :)

Although with huskies i suppose you could put the name on because it wont make any difference lol

Cody has last name postcode and a contact number.

I'm sure it looks cute with the dogs name, but it is safer just in case of dog theft, in the short term anyway, as Bluewolf states after a while s/he will probably respond to another name given time, but every second you can prevent that the better, IMO anyway.

I've said this before and I'll say it again

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your postcode is optional (but we would strongly advise that you include it), and your telephone number is also optional (but advisable). We are only able to engrave a maximum of four lines on each side of the tag. The more characters on a line, the smaller the engraving will be.

Just having 'i'm chipped' and a post code could get you fined depending how anal the dog warden happens to be.

Cody has last name postcode and a contact number.

I'm sure it looks cute with the dogs name, but it is safer just in case of dog theft, in the short term anyway, as Bluewolf states after a while s/he will probably respond to another name given time, but every second you can prevent that the better, IMO anyway.

Exactly :) Better to be safe than sorry :)

I've said this before and I'll say it again

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your postcode is optional (but we would strongly advise that you include it), and your telephone number is also optional (but advisable). We are only able to engrave a maximum of four lines on each side of the tag. The more characters on a line, the smaller the engraving will be.

Just having 'i'm chipped' and a post code could get you fined depending how anal the dog warden happens to be.

Well i refuse to have my address on my guys tags incase someone see's him while i'm walking him, looks at his tag and decides to break in and take him (although i suppose they could follow me home) but they can fine all they want, i'd rather be fined £1000's than loose my guys haha

on the front side of all of our tags we have:

Pets name

City, State

Phone Number

Phone Number

on the back sides:

Veterinarians place of business] "vet clinic name" in "city"

Vets phone number

"please take me here!"

this way if someone finds them injured (or not), they are taken to the vets office who, A) has all of our personal info including exact home address on file along with a notorized Pet Trust should either me or my other half have been rendered unable to care for the pets in the event of death or severe injury, B) has the ability to board our animal if we cannot come immediately, and C) has a signed form that gives them permission to provide any necessary medical care to the animal if anyone brings them in injured (and of course this is where they are to hold our pets until we can collect them ourselves).

on the front side of all of our tags we have:

Pets name

City, State

Phone Number

Phone Number

on the back sides:

Veterinarians place of business] "vet clinic name" in "city"

Vets phone number

"please take me here!"

this way if someone finds them injured (or not), they are taken to the vets office who, A) has all of our personal info including exact home address on file along with a notorized Pet Trust should either me or my other half have been rendered unable to care for the pets in the event of death or severe injury, B) has the ability to board our animal if we cannot come immediately, and C) has a signed form that gives them permission to provide any necessary medical care to the animal if anyone brings them in injured (and of course this is where they are to hold our pets until we can collect them ourselves).

the vets stuff is a good idea actually :) never thought of that

Well i refuse to have my address on my guys tags incase someone see's him while i'm walking him' date=' looks at his tag and decides to break in and take him (although i suppose they could follow me home) but they can fine all they want, i'd rather be fined £1000's than loose my guys haha[/quote']

In the five years I've had Togo and the countless times people have stopped to fuss him. No one has ever picked up his tag and read my address. Personally I'd rather someone who found him or tthe others if they ever escaped, be able to read where they lived and contact me or bring them home immediately rather than wait till morning to contact a warden or take them to a vet to be scanned.

Ive picked up a stray husky wandering the streets at 10pm, tried the police who said they could keep it in a cell till the next day when they would contact the warden, or I could keep it myself and contact them. As it happened it was a Saturday night and no warden on a Sunday. So I took it to the nearest open vet and it did have a chip and was at some point reunited with its family. But that was more than 12 hrs after I found it. And a very long night for us as it wouldn't settle.

Id rather spend thousands on my dogs than give it to the government :) lol

Ghost has my and bf's telephone number on one tag, other is the registration tag for the city part he's registered with, and the last one is where he had his rabbies and other vaccination, and the vet. clinic have their address on it. So I don't think including it would be necessary. He has a microchip, so the I'm chipped is a good idea but... he already sounds like jingle bells. :D

mine have there name on with phone number and "i am chipped" but on the back of the tag and to be honest no one gets that close to get a look at there names and if someone is going to try and steel your dog they are going to do it regardless if there name is on it or not.

Edited by tracey8

Ghost has my and bf's telephone number on one tag, other is the registration tag for the city part he's registered with, and the last one is where he had his rabbies and other vaccination, and the vet. clinic have their address on it. So I don't think including it would be necessary. He has a microchip, so the I'm chipped is a good idea but... he already sounds like jingle bells. :D

Atleast you wont loose him with all that noise lol

Nope; I'm afraid he'd get stolen. All people would need is his name, and treats (or just treats) and they're Suka's new best friend! He's not loyal at all, haha, except when it comes to food!

Suka's got his dog license tag, his rabies tag, and a tag with his vet's info on it. He's microchipped too, but now when I think about it...the info on his tag might be under his old owners because I don't remember changing it! Crap - must change that ASAP!

I have soooo much on my girls' tags: "Microchipped", my surname, landline number, and mobile number on one side, and my FULL address (house number, street name, town, county and post code) on the other side. I wouldn't put their names on there - it's MY details they need if they're planning on returning the dog(s) to me.

Wow I've never thought about this! I feel so irresponsible! I'm getting Luka a new tag on Tuesday! All his has on it is his name and my phone number. He does have his rabies tag with our vet's info on it. Laws aren't very strict over here, they just have to have a rabies tag.

So opinions on what I should include anybody? He's getting chipped next Saturday so I think I'd love to include I'm chipped on it for starters

Mine have full address , home and mobile numbers , post code and microchipped , I'm gonna get some saying I'm neutered on too so people won't think oh we could steal them for breeding , bings has his name address and my mobile number on it , only cuz it's illegal for them to not wear a tag

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner