Establishing a vet

Smokey

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]

[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]I have a few questions about establishing a vet and then my experience yesterday at with the vet...I'm thinking maybe this should go in the stories section but it's up to admin to put it where it belongs smile.gif

I REALLY REALLY REALLY liked the vet that saw Smokey yesterday. She gave us a lot of time and checked everything even though Smokey was riled up and scared. I had them muzzle him just in case. I've always been to the petsmart vets and never had consistency with them in terms of who saw my cats and my dogs. SO I think I've established a vet here and I'm happy.

How do YOU know you like your vet? Is one visit enough to say YES! I like this vet?

Smokey's blood test came out normal. Also, his urine analysis came out clear. But he still seems 'off' to me (not to the husband). He seems depressed (could he just be getting out of his puppydom stage? He is 3ish now). And the small incontinence that he has when he's lying down or sleeping really worries me. The vet suggested we send out his urine for further analysis but also said it was expensive so I declined. She also said that the urine I see may in actuality be saliva from him cleaning himself. This may be true as when I find the small puddle it's very dilute and I get confused....Is there anything else I can do to figure out why he is incontinent and to me depressed?

Anyway another strange experience that I had was that the office was FILLED with lose cats and dogs. They were just running around everywhere. It made me nervous as I felt since Smokey is somewhat DA and the doggies wanted to come up to him and sniff him, I didn't know how to handle the situation. I just stepped in between them, told the lose dog 'no' and when the front desk attendant saw/heard she called the lose dog away. At one point I let Smokey sniff him. That dog was SOOOOO happy! But it almost got ugly so I pulled Smokey away and again stepped between the two. Smokey was doing the shoulder hug thing that is a sign of asserting his alphaness (is that correct?) so I just pulled him away...

THE CATS! OMG...They were just everywhere. I saw at least 4 of them. Smokey did well with them and the cats stayed away from him thankfully. One of the cats was missing a tail.

Anyway...I just wanted to share my experience. Nothing really special...

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

random animals running around? lol. never heard of a vet quite like that.

our vet was highly recommended to us by close friends. i made an appointment there for just a regular check up for the day after i picked up Luka. When we first walked in it was very clean, organized, and everyone was super friendly. They all gushed over Luka and everyone was just really professional and nice.

We met our Vet who happens to own a Husky x GSD cross which def. made me more comfortable. He was very thorough as he examined my puppy. Ever since then we've loved him! Luka doesn't mind going to the vet at all, he enjoys it. He gets excited when he sees the male vet tech there because he loves him. lol

As i add another dog to my family, i will be taking him there as well. It's just someone i feel safe taking my pets. You should feel that when you take your pet somewhere.

While having a vet who has pets is a good thing, I wouldn't go back to their vet if they have loose cats and dogs running around - unless there was a good valid reason for it. If they function as a doggy daycare also, then the dogs should be allocated to a room or something. It doesn't show a lot of responsibility, IMO.

While having a vet who has pets is a good thing, I wouldn't go back to their vet if they have loose cats and dogs running around - unless there was a good valid reason for it. If they function as a doggy daycare also, then the dogs should be allocated to a room or something. It doesn't show a lot of responsibility, IMO.

Really? The doggies belonged to the vet or the vet techs. And the cats simply belonged to the office which was their forever home...Hmm...I guess I'll have to think about it.

My vet and her vet techs have pets too, but they are either kept at home or they're kept in a separate room.

A vet office that has their pets running around is not only irresponsible, IMO, but it also shows inconsideration for the client because the client might be scared of dogs/cats and it also shows inconsideration for the client's dog.

[MENTION=1531]Smokey[/MENTION], I'd be more than a little concerned about the loose animals. While they belong there - either to people who work there or the office itself - it's really "an accident looking for a place to happen".

The absolutely best vet I've ever had - over outside Houston - had the rule, posted on his door, that each animal brought into his office must either be leashed and under control or in a carrier. That starts to make me feel comfortable, I know that I'm not going to walk into a rude surprise ( well, I may but at least with leashes in hand it's quickly controlled ).

Add to that the fact that he might have dogs who are really sick - read parvo, for example - coming in, meeting the residents and he has the potential for carriers right in his office.

He and his techs might be the best, most qualified people in the world, but *I'd* have to question using him on this single count alone.