Silence is golden? - What a change in training!!!

shellbateman

I thought I would share this with you fine people as I found it interesting - plus no one I know really cares about these kind of things who I see in person.

So I have had a throat infection the last couple of days, it getting considerably worse over time, and finally today I am unable to speak as I fear the contents of my throat might fall out my mouth...

Like every day I walk the dogs in the morning but today I am unable to talk to them. Sam, my oldest boy, is pretty well trained and pays attention a lot of the time but Storm, the younger boy, can be a pain in the brain when walking and still has quite a way to go for training seen as we haven't had him long. However, today they were amazing!!! I couldn't tell Sam 'here' to walk beside me and I couldn't train Storm the way I usually do. Instead, I had Sam constantly walking to my right side watching my every move and Storm happily trotting to my left... When I got to roads, as always, they both turn to me and I used hand gestures only to wait and sit, and got brilliant responses.

When we got to the fields, where we usually train and play, I decided to still do our usual work but with me just smiling, treating and giving out good vibes and they loved it!! I am usually very vocal with my boys - encouraging them, playing and generally making noises. I don't know if they were just happy not to hear my voice but they worked so much better than usually, both tails wagging and we all had lots of fun.

I might have to stay silent more often if these are the results I get ;). Then again they might just be feeling sorry for me.

Very pleased with the boys today I just thought it was really interesting.

Hope you feel better soon :) Maybe that's what I am doing wrong, I talk to them constantly and I am sure they just block me out - maybe if I keep quiet it will be more of a challenge, and they will take more notice of what I want from them. I am going to try it :)