a couple

mydiamond

so when someone says "a couple of things", is he trying to say "two things" or "several things"? :confused: I know this is random (rather stupid actually LOL) but I'm up for another English competition soon and I need to learn as much as I can :D oh and is there any singular form of "symptoms"? If yes, how do you spell it? Thanks in advance :up:

So the meaning of "a couple" is different in American and British english? :huskyfall: that's quite confusing x)

my english teacher used to say "english is crazy" LOL sometimes I think he's right :P

American English and British English is VERY different! the two cultures have many different slangs, pronunciations, and even words.

Until I had been in Japan, I had always heard the Japanese was a hard language to learn - actually it's quite a simple language with a lot of possibilities.

English - well, let's see there's British English, and American English ( which should include Canadian English but doesn't ), Canadian English, Australian English and New Zealand English - is that really English, I can't ever understand a word they say!? Then there's a classical 'Colony' English ( Hong Kong when it was a BCC, for example ). Of course, we can't forget that each of these has a slang that is more distinct to the parent culture than the accents which are unique to each ...

With English being as prevalent as it is, I don't understand why it's so difficult for all you foreigners to learn .... << very tongue in cheek!! >>

Until I had been in Japan, I had always heard the Japanese was a hard language to learn - actually it's quite a simple language with a lot of possibilities.

English - well, let's see there's British English, and American English ( which should include Canadian English but doesn't ), Canadian English, Australian English and New Zealand English - is that really English, I can't ever understand a word they say!? Then there's a classical 'Colony' English ( Hong Kong when it was a BCC, for example ). Of course, we can't forget that each of these has a slang that is more distinct to the parent culture than the accents which are unique to each ...

With English being as prevalent as it is, I don't understand why it's so difficult for all you foreigners to learn .... << very tongue in cheek!! >>

good point! in regards to accents i'm pretty sure i sound quite different than someone from wisconsin. i have a little twang to my voice and i speak slower.