Crating at night

Quickordead

Hello all. I was wondering do you crate your dogs at night. Our GS Lexie has always had access to the garden via a large dog flap, but we've been crating Sash of a night as our fence is broken at the moment and a bit low. I'm putting new panels in at the weekend and thought I might let Sash have a free run as well. Any advice or thoughts will be very welcome.

Regards

Lee

My two are both crated at night, I think if they weren't (and had access to a dog flap) they'd be on the go all night!! :P I would suggest keeping Sascha crated at night while you're house training though, just so you don't end up going backwards :)

Maya has always been good and hasn't tried to destroy stuff so has never neen crated. Bodhi however is crated at night and when I go out as he will chew anything he can. Bless him. He has no problem going into the crate. Right from day one he went in calmly with no protesting.

My kelpie and gsd are not crated at all but my husky pup is crated at night mainly because off potty training and eating my kitchen!!

You have a dog flap?! I would love something like that for the other 2, but can't other things get in? :D

Foxes, burglars...

My two are only crated with a large carrot each when we go out. At night they are not crated and have the run of the house. If they want to go out in the garden they find us and wake us up. No mess and no chewing in the house at all. 6am all three of them come on the bed for a cuddle and lay there until 9am when it is there breakfast time.:)............Ron

My mother in law has crawled in to her house many times through the dog flap, when she's locked herself out. I've always been a bit worried about her but she's not bothered particularly. When I say worried I mean her safety as she lives alone, that sounded a bit like I was suggesting she was crazy! She's not, well not much anyway! Our dogs are not crated at night, they sleep in our room and rarely leave until someone gets up in the morning. There is the occasional night when one goes off to bin raid and that's a pain bit overall things are good.

Ice is crated when we go out during the day. Never managed to train Bear, she's got Many confinement issues so I let her be in the end.

Edited by emma1979