Public selling of Animals

Osinn11

Today while driving home from work I saw someone advertising Puppies on the side of the road. It was at the entrance of a high traffic grocery store plaza. I couldn't tell if they were free or for sale but there was a kennel with pups and all. Not sure if any of you experience this where you live but I wanted to hear others thoughts on this.

Personally I hate seeing it!

Seems to be fairly common in more rural areas, by what I've seen... I know one of my neighbors, a farmer, tends to sell puppies at lifestock sales and farmer's markets at times. He has Aussie mixes that are evidently good working dogs, so does get some repeat business... They end up as pretty typical working farm dogs, and at least get to do what they were bred to do, but don't get the care and spoiling they would in a pet home (or the safety!)...

I see signs for puppies quite often. There's one house that always has either jack Russell pups, kittens, ducklings or chicks for sale all through the year. I also saw a sign for malamutes a couple of years ago, this was before we got Peppa so we arranged to go an view them. They were KC registered but the pups were only a week old and we felt pressured to pick a puppy. They had two litters from the two bitches they had and estimated making £14,000. Needless to say after our experience with attempting to buy a puppy before we got loki&Safi we declined

I think it's deplorable! No reputable breeder would sell their pups out of the back of cars or on street corners...thankfully it is now illegal to sell puppies on the roadside or public parking lots in WA.

I wish it was illegal here too.

I see signs quite often for all different breeds for sale in the local area. The government should ban it as some of these people are clearly running a business which I can only presume isn't registered and therefore are unlikely to be paying tax. If they can't close them down on animal welfare grounds then surely HMRC could pursue them for tax evasion.

Never seen any pets sold by the side of the road thank goodness, that must be so stressfull for the poor little pups. However there are many ads that make my blood boil on gumtree/pre loved that just makes me think "argh! What a load of old c***! Why can't you just admit that you don't want the dog instead of inventing a rediculous exscuse that isn't even plausible!" I've stopped looking on there as the lines people use as exscuses get very repetitive and wearing over time.

Also I must confess that my uncle in law over in Canada is a livestock farmer and from time to time they are given puppies (usually slightly older ones) or mature dogs. I think sometimes people know they have a farm and just hand them over or sometimes an exchange of resources is used instead of money. They don't sell roadside or farmers market, from what I can work out it's a word of mouth within the farming community thing. My uncle (well usually his eldest daughter) raises them into working adults until they're ready to go to their future homes. Are they mistreated? No, the property is secured and marked out with a fence all around (wouldn't stop a husky but they'd never take one on as it would be detrimental to their livestock which is their livelihood) they are secured at night either in the barn/house/crate and a great deal of time spent with them in order to gain a bond with them to get them trained to herd. They have once been given an elderly malamute though, which they had for a few years. He was very old and more of a family pet, too old to feel inclined to wander or bother the livestock. He just wanted a comfy place to rest out his days and get regular meals. That said however, I cannot deny that there is a big difference between attitudes towards animals between us, they have a degree of emotional detachment. This is because they are farmers and like it or not animals ARE to some extent a commodity/business. At the end of the day you can't get too attached to an animal that you're planning on either selling on or eating for dinner. It's not wrong, just a different way of life to mine. I couldn't make it as a farmer, I'm way too soft! lol.

I found Juno on Hoobly. I spoke with the owner for a week before we actually came to visit her, as I wanted to know all about her personality and health. She wouldn't let her go to just anyone with money. Even if it was her first litter, she plans on keeping tabs on every puppy she sells. I still stay in contact with the breeder, as she loves to watch them grow and see whether or not they're in good homes.

Living in a more rural area of OK you do see it quite often. I view it more like someone putting an advertisement on craigslist or in the newspaper. True that this way seems a little more cheap or shady doing it that way than the other sources that you have for selling the animals I do not think it wrong. You still meet the people that you are buying/selling from/to and you get to inspect the animals before buying them. This avenue allows the seller to get in a more public environment and increases the likely hood of the animals getting adopted. Also some people that are selling as private sellers may not want people to know where they live. Personally if I were selling a litter I would not want a bunch of strangers knowing where I live because my nephew is only 2 years old because there are people out there that might take off with him while I am watching someone that is inspecting the animals. There are many pros and cons to this method of selling animals while it is stressful on them I have seen where the owners turn people away and have gone through preparations to see that they are cared for and under the least amount of stress.

That is disgusting. I've only seen it once though. A couple guys were selling Pit Bull puppies (of coarse) over by a Gamestop and a Family Dollar during the summer. A cop did stop by and run off the men. So I assume it is illegal here too.

They had them sitting in a Milk crate in the hot sun. It was so sad :(